Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 Recruits

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    The last scholly is gonna go to a point guard. The only way we bring in a JUCO post is if someone leaves the team.
    Why a point guard as we are covered in 2016? Beyond that not so much. I think post is a glaring need on the 2016 roster. I would not be surprised if we don't see one and maybe two players leave the team and not hard to figure out who they are based on lack of playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      Why a point guard as we are covered in 2016? Beyond that not so much. I think post is a glaring need on the 2016 roster. I would not be surprised if we don't see one and maybe two players leave the team and not hard to figure out who they are based on lack of playing time.
      Need a PG to groom for a year and take over once Marshall is gone. Heard this from someone that sits really close to the players on game days
      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
        Need a PG to groom for a year and take over once Marshall is gone. Heard this from someone that sits really close to the players on game days
        This. Relying on a true freshman point guard (or a converted off guard) is not a recipe for winning the conference. Even Nate had an up and down true freshman year and could have benefited from a redshirt or being the backup for a year.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

It's tough to choose between a post and PG recruit for this class. There is definitely a need to bring a PG into the program to groom for the future when Marshall and Parks are gone. On the other hand , with the 4 starters we return next year it has the chance to be one of those "special" seasons like we had in Nate's last two seasons if we can get above average post play. I think Theisen can be a part of that , but we need another post that can step in and I'm not 100% convinced that Devine is that player , since he has been getting virtually no meaningful minutes since the conference season began. I would have to agree that the possibility of a player(s) leaving after the season could very well happen , and that Moffitt will likely get a scholarship his senior year if the Jacks have an open spot.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            It's tough to choose between a post and PG recruit for this class.
            Not really. College basketball is guard driven. You can win, especially in the Summit, with less than stellar post play. You can't win without good guard play.
            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

In terms of post play for 2015-16, I'm really not worried about it. No doubt Larson is an exceptional post and his back-to-the basket game won't be able to be replaced next year, but we also don't have to run the offense through the post, either.

We had 2 tournament teams that had strong point guard play but limited post scoring. Theisen is a bigger, but slightly less athletic than Fiegen was, but should be able to fill a similar roll with maybe even a higher potential for back-to-the-basket/ underneath scoring. I can't stress enough how well Ian has played overall considering that he's a true freshman.

I'm also not ready to give up on Devine, either. The kid showed potential of being a very good rim protector early in the season, which can be such a valuable asset for a mid major, as most just don't have this type of player. The key is to get Conner not to be a liability on offense, and I still believe that is coming from a lack of confidence. Hopefully the coaching staff can figure out a way to get him to just play naturally on the offensive end instead of just trying not to make a mistake (which, ironically, usually happens when you think this way).

Also, Logan Doyle will only be a sophomore and Mike Daum will be a redshirt freshman, so both have the potential to take big steps in the off season, especially considering bigs usually develop later than other positions.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                In terms of post play for 2015-16, I'm really not worried about it. No doubt Larson is an exceptional post and his back-to-the basket game won't be able to be replaced next year, but we also don't have to run the offense through the post, either.

We had 2 tournament teams that had strong point guard play but limited post scoring. Theisen is a bigger, but slightly less athletic than Fiegen was, but should be able to fill a similar roll with maybe even a higher potential for back-to-the-basket/ underneath scoring. I can't stress enough how well Ian has played overall considering that he's a true freshman.

I'm also not ready to give up on Devine, either. The kid showed potential of being a very good rim protector early in the season, which can be such a valuable asset for a mid major, as most just don't have this type of player. The key is to get Conner not to be a liability on offense, and I still believe that is coming from a lack of confidence. Hopefully the coaching staff can figure out a way to get him to just play naturally on the offensive end instead of just trying not to make a mistake (which, ironically, usually happens when you think this way).

Also, Logan Doyle will only be a sophomore and Mike Daum will be a redshirt freshman, so both have the potential to take big steps in the off season, especially considering bigs usually develop later than other positions.
                This is a Bingo!

If anyone should be able to appreciate good PG play it is Jacks fans. It is critical! We do have a bunch of big bodies that will be back and should be ready to go. Is there anyone of Cody Larson caliber? Really doubtful but any of those kids could develop.

It would be awesome to add a PG and a post but until something opens up that isn't possible. Coming to the Jacks would have to look quite attractive for a post considering what we will have back. Remember, Scott highly prefers to have 4-year players. This year is odd for a Nagy team with Larson, Parks, and Marshall all transferring in. Will it be a trend? We will see.

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Will the PG be 4 yr or JUCO?.....

Comment

Originally posted by Hip2daHop View Post
                    Will the PG be 4 yr or JUCO?.....
                    No idea. I'm sure the coaching staff would like to find a 4 year player, but it all depends on who is available. It wouldn't shock me if they went after a transfer, either, as more and more kids are transferring out of their original school than ever before. Plus, we could afford to have a PG sit for a year with both Marshall and Moffit coming back.
                    - Steven Wright

Comment

Open to all options I assume.

Comment

Don't consider Ian anywhere near where Tony Fiegan was from an athletic side. Ian would have been well served by a redshirt, but lack of depth there necessitated he play sooner. Not giving up on Ian, but he has looked really awful at times even for a freshman.

Comment

No idea. I'm sure the coaching staff would like to find a 4 year player, but it all depends on who is available. It wouldn't shock me if they went after a transfer, either, as more and more kids are transferring out of their original school than ever before. Plus, we could afford to have a PG sit for a year with both Marshall and Moffit coming back.
                          Any PG coming in would likely redshirt as they would get little ,if any, minutes with Marshall and Moffitt back. That would likely reduce the chances of a JUCO , since most of them are looking to play right away. A transfer , hopefully with more than one year of eligibility would work well.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Any PG coming in would likely redshirt as they would get little ,if any, minutes with Marshall and Moffitt back. That would likely reduce the chances of a JUCO , since most of them are looking to play right away. A transfer , hopefully with more than one year of eligibility would work well.
                            I think the right talent at point guard would easily take time away from Moffitt.

Comment

Don't consider Ian anywhere near where Tony Fiegan was from an athletic side. Ian would have been well served by a redshirt, but lack of depth there necessitated he play sooner. Not giving up on Ian, but he has looked really awful at times even for a freshman.
                              I have to disagree with this. Yes, there has been times where Ian has looked awful but there have been times where I thought he looked pretty decent and has grown quite a bit since the beginning of the year. He does have a nice shooting touch and has the ability to shoot from distance. He also handles the ball well and is a good passer which is critical for our offense. That is why he is getting Connor's minutes. I look forward to him making a big stride forward into his sophomore season. These minutes for him are huge. No, he isn't a big, physical presence but if he can be a smart, effective player in the post it could help us a ton.

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

I think the right talent at point guard would easily take time away from Moffitt.
                                You are correct but that could be said for any position. Frankly, its a good trend if we keep getting better that the younger players break in for more and more minutes. That means that the program is on the rise! The best players will play.

Moffitt has been a very pleasant surprise. When he was announced as a starter against FGCU at the Pentagon I was like most Jacks fans looking for a program to find out who is #12? He has been a big help for the team. His defense is underrated and he seems to be rather fearless. He does an adequate job of handling the ball when needed at point. His weakness appears to be shooting from distance. He is only 1-5 which isn't a good percentage but the fact that he has only taken five leads me to believe that he isn't a shooter unless at the last second on the shot clock. He can take it to the rack and post up with his size which is good. He has earned his minutes IMHO.

Bottom line is that the Jacks have some really nice problems to deal with compared to teams that are struggling to get things going!

SUPERBUNNY

Comment

Working...
                                X