Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joe Krabbenhoft

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    Wow joboo22, you are evidently way deep on the inside of the program. A name hire? I guess I'll have a hit off of the pipe that the others are smoking.

No way it is a "name hire" as you say. Sure, Sanford has gotten involved in Jacks athletics but that isn't happening. After making the tourney two years in a row, Nagy has earned the absolute right to run the program as he sees fit within the rules set forth by the NCAA and the AD.

I don't know anything about whether Austin was a good coach or not. He was a very good D2 ball player. One of the best we've ever had. When we hired him I thought to myself, there is a "name hire" as you call it. Bringing an SDSU back in to get some experience.

Maybe at the end of the day things didn't work with Austin on the staff? I'm not saying that is the case by any stretch but there have been so many people saying his leaving is a huge loss. It may be. But, the possibility is also there that this is addition by subtraction. Either way it is a moot point. Austin has moved on, we should too.

I will stick with my longtime stance that it is a good thing for SDSU if coaches come here, have success, and move to greener pastures (if they desire that). It means that we are having some success, we are attracting good candidates, and SDSU is a good place to be.

SUPERBUNNY
    I don't mean a name hire as in Sanford money hire. I mean it in he has no real experience as a coach, so its more on his name, local ties (being from South Dakota) and playing career then his experience. Like I said similar to what Duke does bringing in fmr. players as assistants. Or what North Carolina did bringing in Hubert Davis. He could become a great assistant I don't know, and no one on here probably does.

I don't care what type of a coach Hansen was/is, the question was who had a better resume, being a grad assistant and having assistant coaching experience is more then being a video coordinator.

I never said it was a bad hire, never said it was a hire pushed on to Nagy. I just believe that if it was Jerry Johnson Video Coordinator at Wisconsin, and not Joe K. that people would be disappointed in the hire.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
      I don't mean a name hire as in Sanford money hire. I mean it in he has no real experience as a coach, so its more on his name, local ties (being from South Dakota) and playing career then his experience. Like I said similar to what Duke does bringing in fmr. players as assistants. Or what North Carolina did bringing in Hubert Davis. He could become a great assistant I don't know, and no one on here probably does.

I don't care what type of a coach Hansen was/is, the question was who had a better resume, being a grad assistant and having assistant coaching experience is more then being a video coordinator.

I never said it was a bad hire, never said it was a hire pushed on to Nagy. I just believe that if it was Jerry Johnson Video Coordinator at Wisconsin, and not Joe K. that people would be disappointed in the hire.
      You did say there is no way he is a better hire on paper than Austin Hanson. How do you come up with that? Also, in your "Duke" example, wouldn't that have been in fact what hiring Austin was in the first place?

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
        You did say there is no way he is a better hire on paper than Austin Hanson. How do you come up with that? Also, in your "Duke" example, wouldn't that have been in fact what hiring Austin was in the first place?

SUPERBUNNY
        I could argue all day and night but my headache would just get larger. I don't know what type of a coach Joe K. will be, I don't know who all applied, I wasn't in the interview room, I don't know what Nagy is looking for (offense, defense, scouting, recruiting, shooting, etc.) So I'm not knocking it. If he helps with the wins it will be looked at as a great hire, if he helps with recruiting it will help.

Welcome aboard and good luck

Comment

Video coordinators are imporant. They watch the game film, scout the opponents and create a gameplan. They just don't do in game coaching. Two coaches that started out as video coordinators. Erik Spoelstra and Frank Vogel
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
            Welcome aboard Joe! Nothing but best wishes.

A note on being "video coordinator"... Eric Spoelstra started out as the Heat's VC before he was elevated to Assistant Coach. Just because someone came from a low-ish position doesn't mean they can not be capable of more.

He has good name recognition, experience with Big 10 and D-League Basketball, is a local guy, with ties to Wisconsin. Can't see how this isn't anything but a positive.
            Yup that is how it works. You get out of college and you take an entry level job. You do a good job and you move up. Very few - if any - college grads start as the CEO of the first company they work for.

That is what Joe did. He took an entry level job at Wisconsin and now he has moved on to SDSU and moved up - or was elevated like the example you gave - to an assistant coaching position.

Still like the hire. Welcome to Jackrabbit Nation Joe. Congrats on the new job!

Comment

Quick question. Is being an assistant coach who can recruit and can coach the players on game day a step up form being a video coordinator? Yes or no?

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                Quick question. Is being an assistant coach who can recruit and can coach the players on game day a step up form being a video coordinator? Yes or no?

I believe its a step up in terms of job quality. Its the difference between a para and a teacher essentially, one has more experience, though one does a bunch of the same things.

It all depends what they are looking for. And I don't know what Joe can do with coaching and I'm not sure what his recruiting experiences is. The thing with established assistant coaches is they generally have a relationship with high school coaches and current recruit targets (Hansen started recruiting Wolters while at Mankato). They also have developed a roll with a team (offense, defense, recruiting, scouting, etc.)

And again I'm not saying its a bad hire. Its just one where I think if it wasn't Joe K. people wouldn't be too excited for this hire.

Comment

This thread sucks. It's definitely the off-season.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                    This thread sucks. It's definitely the off-season.
                    +1 I nominate this thread for the Hall of Shame.

Comment

Last thing I'll say on this topic: There are a lot of experienced coaches who are not that good and plenty who lack the resume but will be excellent at coaching once given the opportunity.

I personally know a situation in which the athletic administration at a school went with the experienced guy making a lateral move over the younger, but talented interim coach. The end result of that decision was the school having to fire the experienced coach due to mistreatment of players and the younger coach getting the head job at another school and elevating that program to unprecedented heights.

I'll reiterate that I think Joe has the ability and work ethic to be a good coach and I'm excited he'll get his opportunity to prove himself at SDSU.

Also, anyone who believes Joe is only getting the job because of who his father is should watch some video on him as a player. He certainly didn't play or carry himself as someone who felt he was entitled to anything.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

No. Any experience in a major program is likely a step up, especially when paired with the playing experience that Joe had.

As far as I know, SDSU doesn't even have a VC position. There are probably half a dozen basketball jobs at a school like Wisconsin that don't even exist at SDSU. I would venture to guess there are many DI assistant coaches across the country who would jump at the chance for a VC job at a big 10 power. Because it would look really good on their resume.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          No. Any experience in a major program is likely a step up, especially when paired with the playing experience that Joe had.

As far as I know, SDSU doesn't even have a VC position. There are probably half a dozen basketball jobs at a school like Wisconsin that don't even exist at SDSU. I would venture to guess there are many DI assistant coaches across the country who would jump at the chance for a VC job at a big 10 power. Because it would look really good on their resume.
                          Then why did Joe take the SDSU job?

Comment

From Wisconsin's site:

Bo Ryan - Head Coach
                            Greg Gard - Associate Head Coach
                            Gary Close - Assistant Coach
                            Lamont Paris - Assistant Coach
                            Peg Cullen - Program Assistant
                            Erik Helland - Strength & Conditioning Coach
                            Joe Krabbenhoft - Video Coordinator
                            Henry Perez-Guerra - Athletic Trainer
                            Laura Strang - Booster Contact
                            A.J. Van Handel - Program Assistant
                            Luke Wainwright - Director of Basketball Operations
                            Joe's job looks pretty low on the food chain. That is probably why he took the job with us, it is a step up even though we don't play in the Big 10.
                            Joe's job was low on the food chain at Wisconsin, but not low on the food chain of college basketball. I counted at least 5 jobs on that list that don't even exist at SDSU.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Then why did Joe take the SDSU job?
                              I don't know, probably because he wanted it?

Comment

LakeJack has been killing it lately. Keep up the good work!
                                Originally posted by JackFan96
                                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                                X