Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '13-'14 Schedule

The only way you can get a big school in your house is one of 3 ways

1. Coaching connections, this happens a few times a year, where a coach of a big school brings a coach into a mid-majors house to play them because he either has ties to the school or a relationship with the coach

2. You pay big money

3. Which is the hardest, is to keep open dates, hoping a big school gets caught late without enough games and has to go on the road, and calls you. It happens, but very few times and generally 1 and 2 are also tied to it.

Comment

I know we won't get big time schools to come to Frost, but I'd like to think we could get some middle of the pack teams to come, the UWGB's and UNI's (heck, any MVC team) to come.

Obviously, that is not the case.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

If I recall correctly, Duke did not play a "true" road game until January last year. It's the same for most of the big schools.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          The only way you can get a big school in your house is one of 3 ways

1. Coaching connections, this happens a few times a year, where a coach of a big school brings a coach into a mid-majors house to play them because he either has ties to the school or a relationship with the coach

2. You pay big money

3. Which is the hardest, is to keep open dates, hoping a big school gets caught late without enough games and has to go on the road, and calls you. It happens, but very few times and generally 1 and 2 are also tied to it.
          I would add:

4. Bring a big-time recruit back home. I believe KU brought Jeff Boschee back to play one of the ND schools on 1 or 2 occasions. I think that was during the D2 and/or transitional era though.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            I think that could help, but I think you will find more mid majors will be less likely to keep going to major power confrence schools when they are unwilling to make a return trip, that unless they really up the money, other good mid majors i think you will find realize the benefit of doing home and home games with other good mid majors who need a decent OOC schedule and need good competition before confrence play and it would help schools fill home games with out going to lower division schools.

Like the summit should try to get into scheduling agreements with the valley for basketball or big sky or something. Sort of like what others have talked about like a big 10/acc challenge but on the mid major scale.
            The Jacks will continue to schedule 3 or 4 power conference road games even with no hope of a return visit for two main reasons. Obviously for the $ , but just as important is the bump in RPI and strength of schedule teams get just by playing these games , regardless if you win or lose. And if you pull off the upset , like the Jacks did at New Mexico , you get instant national buzz and name recognition for the program. You can't get that by playing even the better mid-majors unless you can manage to play a Gonzaga type mid-major.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
              I would add:

4. Bring a big-time recruit back home. I believe KU brought Jeff Boschee back to play one of the ND schools on 1 or 2 occasions. I think that was during the D2 and/or transitional era though.
              Duke will try to do that with its seniors try to get a regional or home state game, Kyle Singler I know and others they did that for. Plus his brother played at Oregon at the time.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                The Jacks will continue to schedule 3 or 4 power conference road games even with no hope of a return visit for two main reasons. Obviously for the $ , but just as important is the bump in RPI and strength of schedule teams get just by playing these games , regardless if you win or lose. And if you pull off the upset , like the Jacks did at New Mexico , you get instant national buzz and name recognition for the program. You can't get that by playing even the better mid-majors unless you can manage to play a Gonzaga type mid-major.
                I agree we need to those games and those will always be on the road, but getting a better OCC if that means deals with other midmajors to aviod dakota states and the like it is worth it IMHO.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I'm fine if they schedule 1 local non D-1 team like a DSU or SWMS during the regular season but to play 3 non D-1 programs is a little ridiculous especially with a well experience team. Would have been fun if they could have scheduled a home and home with Oakland to see Travis Bader play 1 more time. I guess that's the life of a back-to-back NCAA tournament team with the nations longest home game winning streak.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                    I guess that's the life of a back-to-back NCAA tournament team with the nations longest home game winning streak.
                    That has a nice ring to it....

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                      I'm fine if they schedule 1 local non D-1 team like a DSU or SWMS during the regular season but to play 3 non D-1 programs is a little ridiculous especially with a well experience team. Would have been fun if they could have scheduled a home and home with Oakland to see Travis Bader play 1 more time. I guess that's the life of a back-to-back NCAA tournament team with the nations longest home game winning streak.
                      I have a feeling the plan was not to have 3 non D-I games, but you can't play all the games on the road. The tournament going from 3 games to 2, lost another home date.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        I have a feeling the plan was not to have 3 non D-I games, but you can't play all the games on the road. The tournament going from 3 games to 2, lost another home date.
                        No it wasn't. Nagy said Oaklands late departure kind of forced us in to playing 3 non-D1 games. Let's face it, we're always going to have 2 of those type teams on the schedule.

Comment

Working...
                        X