Clear All

• Argus Story: Jacks to tangle with Butler

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Fridayarticle2.shtml

Jacks to tangle with Butler
    Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 11/19/2004

South Dakota State hoping to avoid feeling intimidated

INDIANAPOLIS - There's a scene in the movie "Hoosiers" in which a small town high school basketball coach makes his team measure the height of the basket and width of the court at Butler Fieldhouse before the Indiana state championship game. He instructs his players to do this as a confidence booster, to let them know that no matter how undersized compared to or less talented than their opponents, the game is still played the same way on this grand stage.

Scott Nagy hardly looks like Gene Hackman, but he's joked all week about this scene with his South Dakota State men's basketball team. About to debut under the bright lights of Division I college hoops, his Jackrabbits do, however, bear a striking resemblance to that bunch from Milan High School.

"I think the biggest challenge is our team is to not be intimidated," Nagy said. "That's worth some points to you. We don't want to give (opponents) intimidation points because we're afraid."

SDSU will begin its ascent to Division I tonight against Butler University in the same place in Indianapolis where the film was shot, since renamed Hinkle Fieldhouse. The game starts at 6 p.m.

Guards Luke Geiver and Brady Hokenson, both were counted on the last two seasons in limited reserve roles, will be the central figures for the Jackrabbits. The fifth-year seniors will have their hands full immediately against a talented Butler backcourt that features returning starters Avery Sheets and Bruce Horan.

"What we've been preaching is just going out and playing hard every game," said Geiver, a Roosevelt High grad from Sioux Falls. "We don't have some of the best talent or some of the best athletes. We've just got to play hard."

Sheets was Butler's third-leading scorer last season, averaging 11 points a game while shooting about 44 percent. There's one thing that Horan does, and that's shoot 3-pointers. He hit 96 of his 242 tries last season, taking just 16 shots inside the arc.

Butler went 16-14 last season, finishing 8-8 in Horizon League play. Bulldogs coach Todd Lickliter also returns 7-foot sophomore center Jamie Smalligan, who also isn't afraid to launch from 3-point land.

"I've been very pleased with their leadership," Lickliter said of his returning starters. "They were on the team two years ago that went to the Sweet 16 and were starters last year on a team that really struggled at times. We hope they bring some leadership and maturity to us."

The unknown, and perhaps most talented variable for Butler, is Brandon Polk. The 6-6 forward transferred from Redlands (Okla.) Community College and was one of the top junior college players in the nation last year.

"The thing is, South Dakota State is established as a strong program," Lickliter said. "I don't think Division I and Division II, necessarily. Those are labels. When you have a strong program, you have a strong program."

Nagy likely will alternate his typical man-to-man defense with a trapping, full-court zone. He's hoping the change will confuse opponents more than it does the Jackrabbits, who are still learning and adapting to the new system.

"We don't have any great players," Nagy said. "What we really expect the kids to do is to go out there and take care of the basketball. And a lot of that has to do with being nervous. When you're nervous, you do things out of the ordinary.

"Our chances are good against every team if we take care of the ball. If we can't, then we're going to struggle."

Freshmen Matt Cadwell and Andre Gilbert will redshirt for SDSU, as well as sophomore Jake Wenig, who is still recovering from a broken foot he suffered at the start of the school year.

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Re: Argus Story: Jacks to tangle with Butler

Nice story Chris!

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Bulldogs! ;D

Comment

Working...
    X