X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought you would want to see this

A posting on our papers blog. The last line is classic Kampe:

Travis Bader-Nate Wolters matchup as good as advertised

The entertaining subplot to Oakland’s last close victory, last Saturday over South Dakota State at the O’rena, featured two of the Summit League’s best players and nation’s best scorers in Travis Bader and Nate Wolters. Four NBA scouts were expected to attend to see Wolters, an NBA hopeful receiving much critical acclaim in his senior season, and Bader, the nation’s leading 3-point shooter. Fans were even speculating how many points the duo, which both wear No. 3, would combine to score.
    The game was even on TV to boot, and didn’t disappoint viewers, as Bader’s 31 points were only bested by Wolters’ 36-point outing.
    “It was a TV game and it was good for the league and both universities,” Oakland coach Greg Kampe said. “They’re great players and they showed they were great players. It was tremendous basketball. A lot of people have emailed me to tell me how much fun it was to watch and see points being scored in college basketball.”
    At one point, Wolters, who had two days earlier topped Bader’s Division I-best 47-point game with a 53-pointer of his own, split two Oakland defenders, going around the back to get the lay-in and the foul.
    “Back in my day, those were things you did in warmups, but you never thought about trying in the game,” Kampe said. “That was very impressive. It just shows how confident he is and he plays with an aura of how good he is. And he is.
    “He’s very unassuming. He shakes and he walks and he very rarely changes expression. I saw him grimace a little bit when Bader made one of his 3s like ‘Are we going to stop this guy.’ He wanted to get mad and show emotion, but he didn’t. That’s probably the only time we’ve played them and saw any expression from him.”
    Saturday’s showdown could be the last time Kampe and the Golden Grizzlies see Wolters, in person anyway, barring a showdown in the Summit League tournament, where they met in the 2011 semifinals.
    “Hopefully we get to see him one more time and then he’ll be a memory,” Kampe said. “A bad one.”

posted by Paul Kampe at 12:02 AM 0 Comments

Re: Thought you would want to see this

Coach Kampe is such a likable guy, we're going to have to do our best to give him a new nightmare starting next season.

Thanks for the post, Grizz, sharing the writing of another likable Kampe.

Comment

That's a photo I'd like to see in poster-form........come on Kampe, we liked some of your players and even Darth Bader can be fun to watch........
      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Kampe is a hoot! He is a great coach for Oakland and for the Summit League. I'm hoping that this Summit League Tourney will be one of legend. It has the pieces in place - BRING ON the TOURNEY!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
          Kampe is a hoot! He is a great coach for Oakland and for the Summit League. I'm hoping that this Summit League Tourney will be one of legend. It has the pieces in place - BRING ON the TOURNEY!!!!
          I hate Kampe and i like him. Like him as a coach and hate him when he is coaching against SDSU. Just a good coach.
          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
            That's a photo I'd like to see in poster-form........come on Kampe, we liked some of your players and even Darth Bader can be fun to watch........
            That should fit nicely on T-shirts as well.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
              I'm thinking more along the line of Nate going for a one handed baseline dunk at the Summit tournament last year before he got fouled. Now that would be an epic poster
              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I love Kampe. Love him. But I've never seen real hair look so much like a weave. No offense. I'm dead serious when I say I love him. Super entertaining. But his hair does not look natural...even though I know it is.
                Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by JackFan96 View Post
                  I love Kampe. Love him. But I've never seen real hair look so much like a weave. No offense. I'm dead serious when I say I love him. Super entertaining. But his hair does not look natural...even though I know it is.
                  Yeah he could be Dan Connor as played by John Goodman on Rosanne, or at least his younger brother, who drank less beer and ate less pizza.

Comment

Working...
                  X