Manhattan Jaspers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Manhattan Jaspers

A loss is never good, but hopefully this will boost the players confidence knowing that they can stay in a game right to the end with a team that went to the second round in the NCAA tournament last year.

Comment

jacks did a good job with only eight players but the free throw killed us. Nagy said after the game that the jacks should have won by 15 but free throws in the second half and the over 20 turnovers killed the jacks. also he doesn't want the guys to feel happy about the way the stayed with the jaspers but the sould feel sick to there stomach. they will play better in the next game on wed. GO JACKS

Comment

Just got in from the game and I must say I am really impressed with those Jackrabbits. Your team is very well-coached and they executed as well as you could expect...apart from the free thow shooting late in the game.

Manhattan came out flying, jumped out to a big lead, but then State had a huge run of thier own, and from that point it was basically a 5 point game the rest of the way.

You have good size (something Manhattan lacks) and good outside shooting...I have a feeling that this is going to be a pretty good season for your Jackrabbits.

Good luck and see you folks next year.

Comment

only 523 people in the seats for the game.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
            Final Score Manhattan 73 - SDSU 69. Heck of an effort, free throws and the slow start really hurt us. At one point in the first half Manhattan lead 24-6. Free throws, according to the Jasper announcers, SDSU shot 5 for 12. With that said really proud of the effort, we are going to be ok. Nice job guys.

Go State! ;D

Whoah Baby!! Awesome. I was busy with something and couldn't follow the game. Wow, we could have won this game. Whats this team going to be like in a couple of years when these kids get some experience at this level?

Comment

The postgame reminded me of how much we should be grateful that Coach Nagy is on our side.
              "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                The postgame reminded me of how much we should be grateful that Coach Nagy is on our side.  
                Amen!

Go State! ;D

Comment

From the Yankton paper:

http://www.yankton.net/stories/11220...41122031.shtml

Manhattan Holds Off South Dakota State 73-69

RIVERDALE, N.Y. -- Manhattan College held off South Dakota State 73-69 in non-conference men's basketball action Sunday afternoon at Draddy Gym.

Manhattan's Peter Mulligan scored the first 11 points of the game and the Jaspers had a 24-6 lead before the Jacks started a rally which closed the margin to 30-28 following a basket by Joe Green with 7:33 to play.

Manhattan led 44-39 at halftime but never got the lead back to double digits, building a 63-54 margin following a layup by C.J. Anderson with 4:43 to play. SDSU got back within three when Ben Beran scored on a layup off an assist from Jared DeJong making it 67-64 with 38 seconds to play, but Manhattan hit six free throws down the stretch to clinich it.

Mulligan, who opened the game by hitting three straight three-pointers, led Manhattan with 20 points while Anderson had 14, Kenny Minor 13 and Arturo Dubois 11.

Beran led the Jacks with 20 points and eight rebounds. Steve Holden hit 6-of-9 field goal attempts for 13 points and Jared DeJong 11.

SDSU will play its home opener Wednesday night at Frost Arena, hosting Mayville State.  .  .  .

Steve Holdren 6-9 0-2 13, Michael Loney 2-4 1-1 5, Ben Beran 6-11 5-6 20, Luke Geiver 3-7 2-3 9, Bady Hokenson 2-5 2-6 7, Casey Mackensie 0-0 0-0 0, Jared DeJong 5-6 1-4 11, Joe Green 2-10 0-1 4. Totals 26-52 11-23 69.  .  .  .

Mike Konovelchick 1-9 6-6 9, Peter Mulligan 8-15 1-3 20, Guy Ngarndi 1-4 0-0 2, Jason Wingate 1-8 1-2 4, Kenny Minor 4-5 4-4 13, Jeff Xavier 0-1 0-0 0, Justin Gatling 0-0 0-0 0, CJ Anderson 5-9 4-9 14, Arturo Dubois 3-5 5-6 11. Totals 23-56 21-30 73.

At the half: MC 44, SDSU 39. 3-pt FG ­ SDSU 6-13 (Beran 3-4, Hokenson 1-2, Holdren 1-2, Geiver 1-3), MC 6-17 (Mulligan 3-6, Wingate 1-2, Minor 1-2, Konovelchick 1-6, Xavier 0-1). Rebounds ­ SDSU 35 (Beran 8 ), MC 32 (Anderson 9). Fouls ­ SDSU 26, MC 23. Fouled out ­ SDSU Holdren, DeJong, MC Dubois. Assists ­ SDSU 15 (Mackensie 6), MC 11 (Wingate 4). Steals ­ SDSU 7 (Geiver 2, Mackensie 2), MC 13 (Mulligan 4). Blocked shots ­ SDSU 2 (Beran, Green), MC 6 (Dubois 4). Turnovers ­ SDSU 24, MC 14. Attendance ­ 523.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

From NY:

http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsro...manhattan.html

Jaspers open with a victory

By JANET PASKIN
                    THE JOURNAL NEWS
                    (Original publication: November 22, 2004)

NEW YORK — Manhattan started its season opener yesterday as if it had won an NCAA game last week, not last spring.

Peter Mulligan couldn't miss, the Jaspers were running and pressing and coach Bobby Gonzalez was jumping and moving and waving. Same old Manhattan.

For seven minutes.

The rest of the game was considerably more dicey. The Jaspers gave back a double-digit lead to visiting South Dakota State, a program playing its first season as a Division I school, and struggled to win 73-69.

"I didn't think they were going to come in and roll over," said Gonzalez, who invoked Vermont's near-upset of top-ranked Kansas on Friday, Niagara's near-miss with Providence and others. " . . .

Manhattan opened the game with all the makings of a blowout, courtesy of Mulligan. He played like he had been waiting for this opportunity for three years. And in a way he had: After transferring and sitting out a year, he was asked to be a supporting player on last year's team. Now Mulligan has the go-ahead, and he went ahead.

He started the game with a 3-pointer from the left side, then one from the right side, then one from the top of the key. He stole the ball and fed Kenny Minor. He made a pair of back-to-back layups, and by the time Gonzalez gave him a rest with 13:03 left in the first half, Mulligan had scored 17 points, and Manhattan led 24-6.

South Dakota State refused to be intimidated. They lost to Butler by 28 on Friday, and weren't interested in a repeat. The Jackrabbits have won more than 20 games in eight of the last nine seasons and had been at the top of the Division II pack.

That, in their minds, put them on par with low- to mid-major Division I teams. Center Ben Beran, who led South Dakota State with 20 points and eight rebounds, wasn't awed by Manhattan's two most-recent NCAA appearances, its alumnus in the NBA or the high expectations around the Riverdale campus.

"It's not too hard to come back from a 28-point loss and play like you've got something to prove," Beran said.

He made a pair of 3-pointers to fuel a 22-6 run that brought South Dakota State within two. Minor made a layup, and Mike Konovelchick made a 3-pointer to give Manhattan a little breathing room before halftime, but the Jaspers never built another comfortable lead.

"It surprised me that they came in and fought back the way they did, coming in and playing us at home," said Mulligan, who finished with a team-high 20 points.

Manhattan shot 26.9 percent from the floor in the second half, and Konovelchick (1 for 9) and Jason Wingate (1 for 8) had uncharacteristically bad nights.

But Minor ran the floor nicely for 38 minutes, and the freshmen played well. Arturo Dubois started the second half by forcing two turnovers, scoring four of his 11 points, and blocking two shots. C.J. Anderson was consistent throughout, with 14 points and nine rebounds.

"They're coming along great," Mulligan said of the freshmen. "They basically saved the game for us. They were getting stuff going in the second half when no one else could."

Mulligan and Minor looked chastened after the game, and although Gonzalez insisted the team was happy to have the win, it is clear that the Jaspers must play better against Rhode Island when the Rams come to Draddy tomorrow night.

"Last year's team had a killer instinct," Gonzalez said. "This team is not to that point where we can get through some things."

Go State! ;D

Comment

I would like to have Manhatten at Frost in front of 8,000 plus Jackrabbit fans.  Then lets see them hit their free throws, maintain their composure and not turn the ball over.  We lost a couple of DI basketball games away from home this week.  So did North Carolina and Arizona.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

You'll get your wish-I think we get them at Frost next season. Probably in front of a big raucaus crowd. I think we will turn the tables next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
                          You'll get your wish-I think we get them at Frost next season. Probably in front of a big raucaus crowd. I think we will turn the tables next year.
                          Exactly my point, we are scheduled to see Manhatten as a home game next year. Date and venue TBA. I for one hope its a weekend game in Brookings but if not I'll take a day or two of vacation and make the trip. A lot of DI teams are going to be suprised when they walk into a packed rabbit den.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I hope those of you on this board that have not gotten your Basketball season tickets do it now rather than wait as I think the next couple of years is going to be a lot of fun at Frost!

Comment

Working...
                            X