Guard Play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guard Play

It probably is no surprise the early weakness of this team is our guard play. Not only are they not creating shots but they are having a hard time handling the ball against pressure. Geiver, Hokenson and Casey are giving us what they have but clearly we need to upgrade at this position when considering future signings. Would be great to see some experienced and quick Junior College players at the guard position next year so Cadwell, Casey and Kleinjan don't have to carry the load.

Re: Guard Play

Casey is going to be a good one. We have to patient with him. He works hard and it sounds like hes got a lot of talent. Its a tough position for him to be put in so early in his career where he's got to make things happen.  I think in a couple years we will all be singing his praises.
    If Nagy likes him (and he does) then I like him!!!

Comment

I agree we need to be patient with Casey. I liked what I saw in the exhibition game against Concordia.Whether he is the long term answer at point guard that remains to be seen. Have you seen him play? The issue at hand is we have two senior guards who up to this early point in the season are not playing at the level you would expect for someone who has been in the program that long. Maybe this is all there capable of. Not that my opinion means a hill of beans but I like the lineup of Casey at the point, Holdren at the two, Green and Beran at the forwards and Loney at the center. Will be certain times based on matchups that we will need to have DeJong play significant minutes based on him being 6'11 and Loney at 6'5. It seemed the whole team was uptight in our first two DI games particulary in the beginning of the games. Nagy in his postgame comments after both games was more surprised our senior players fell into that mindset.

Comment

Give them some time in the weight room and run them through the offseason conditioning program and they'll be better next year by way of added strength if nothing else. The NCC was a physical conference to play guard in. DI will definitely up the ante on that. The added bulk and quickness will allow them to become the aggressor and the team's play will benefit. Patience.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
          I like the lineup of Casey at the point, Holdren at the two, Green and Beran at the forwards and Loney at the center.
          Me too.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit

Me too.

Go State!  ;D
            I'm not confident that either of those guards can reliably handle the ball. Our frontcourt can compete but we are going to need to see a lot of progress from the young players with regard to backcourt play. Unfortunately, the upper classmen just don't have the experience and talent needed at the DI level. These factors will make for a tough and inconsistent season. There will be some highs but I suspect a lot more lows. Good news, the future looks relatively bright with our current crop of underclassmen and a couple of impressive freshman. I'm sure Nagy is/will be working hard to find an experienced backcourt player/ballhandler. Looking forward to the season.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
            X