South Dakota DI players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: South Dakota DI players

My comment has nothing to do with basketball...but I attended the Iowa v. Minnesota football game on Saturday and watched Mt. Vernon, SD, native Chad Greenway pound on the Gophers. He's a D-1 player.

Comment

Go Hawks! Greenway is big (6'4", 240) and very fast. He was second in the Big Ten in tackles last year as a sophomore. He's a DI player now, but he'll be an NFL player after next year. He saved the Hawkeyes on Saturday with a tackle for a loss that put Minnesota in 50+ yard field goal range in the last minute.

Now the trick is to find the next Chad Greenway before Kirk Ferentz does.

Comment

Adam Tempelton of Rapid City Central has singed with Cal-Irvine. He is a 6'3" guard. Several of you will remember his dad Kim, who was a standout for Miller. Another kid leaving the state.

Comment

I'd rather be a Jackrabbit than an Anteater. (In more ways than one)

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
            My comment has nothing to do with basketball...but I attended the Iowa v. Minnesota football game on Saturday and watched Mt. Vernon, SD, native Chad Greenway pound on the Gophers.  He's a D-1 player.
            Read an article in the Star Trib today with speculation that he may go DI after this year. Likely he will return but just the thought tells you about the quality of athlete that exists in SD today.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
              Adam Tempelton of Rapid City Central has singed with Cal-Irvine. He is a 6'3" guard. Several of you will remember his dad Kim, who was a standout for Miller. Another kid leaving the state.
              Just my opinion, the kid is making a mistake. NOTHING for him at Cal-Irvine, at least not in the big picture.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Read an article in the Star Trib today with speculation that he may go DI after this year. Likely he will return but just the thought tells you about the quality of athlete that exists in SD today.

who was the article about???
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

Read an article in the Star Trib today with speculation that he may go DI after this year.  Likely he will return but just the thought tells you about the quality of athlete that exists in SD today.
                  I meant to the NFL, my bad, sorry for any confusion. Here is what I was referring to:

NFL can wait

Iowa junior linebacker Chad Greenway is looking forward to playing his final game in Kinnick Stadium -- but not for another year. Greenway, projected by some Web sites as a potential first-round selection if he entered next spring's NFL draft, said he plans to return for his senior season.

"This isn't my last game in Kinnick," Greenway said. "I'm looking forward to next year. I can understand that question, and it's something I've been asked a couple more times this year and it's good to be in that situation. Who wouldn't want to be in that situation? But at the same time, I've got a lot of responsibility to my teammates here and I've got a job to finish here at Iowa."

Greenway is fifth in the conference with 94 tackles and tied for third with three interceptions.

Comment

It sounds like most of the South Dakota kids are fine with SDSU's move to D-1. The problem appears to be that they aren't being offered scholarships like the Minnesota and Iowa kids are. Evidently the coaches don't feel our in state kids are worth the investment. ???

Comment

Originally posted by SDhoopfan
                      It sounds like most of the South Dakota kids are fine with SDSU's move to D-1. The problem appears to be that they aren't being offered scholarships like the Minnesota and Iowa kids are. Evidently the coaches don't feel our in state kids are worth the investment. ???

Say again USDhoopfan?

Comment

Originally posted by SDhoopfan
                        It sounds like most of the South Dakota kids are fine with SDSU's move to D-1. The problem appears to be that  they aren't being offered scholarships like the Minnesota and Iowa kids are.  Evidently the coaches don't feel our in state kids are worth the investment.  ???  
                        This isn't meant to be a comment against SD kids, just my opinion/observation. The recruiting pool in either Minnesota or Iowa is significantly larger than in South Dakota. Both states also have more larger populated cities, which draw more families, which provides more student-athletes a better competition base, which provides universities with more recruiting opportunities. To say our coaches don't feel SD kids are worth the investment is in my mind a shortsighted opinion. These coaches are paid to put together a successful program, which in part means winning games. If a coach can find a more talented student-athlete from outside of SD it is their right to recruit them and offer them a scholarship. Just because a kid is from South Dakota doesn't mean he deserves a scholarship more than a kid from any other state. Try this example, say you live in Brookings and know you can find everything on your christmas list in Brookings, but know you will find better prices in Sioux Falls so you go there to shop. You're robbing Brookings merchants of revenue and Brookings of tax dollars by shopping in Sioux Falls, but it's better for you. Same idea as a coach knowing there is a good in state athlete, but there's a better one out state.

Comment

I see your point. The Jacks are getting the best in South Dakota when it comes to the Women's program. You definitely find more numbers in Minn. and Iowa when it comes to players. However, SD has had quite a few good boys the past 2 years as compared to other years. SDSU has gotten none of them. Just wondering.

Comment

The premier players in the state that have DI talent are choosing more esstablished programs that are in solid conferences ie. Creighton, Wisconsin and Montanta State and that is understandable. Once SDSU gets in a conference and becomes more stable in DI we will have more of a legitimate opportunity to get players like Steve Smith and the Krabenhoft kid. I think there are always a few players in the state that are borderline low mid-major/ DII and I will trust our coaches to make those decisions whether these kids can be sucessful at the DI level. I thought all along that we would produce more DI level women in the state and a majority of those would stay at home if given the opportunty to play for a DI school in the state. As I type this our women are beating Kentucky by 4 late in the game

Comment

I agree with Jackguy II 100%. By the way, the game is over, the Jackrabbits beat Kentucky 57 - 55! First D-I win and over a SEC team, WOW!

Comment

Working...
                              X