mike mcfeeley article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mike mcfeeley article

Mike McFeeley wrote an article in the fargo forum recently about how he believes tim miles will not be the coach to lead ndsu into the promised land. He will do the dirty work and ultimately someone else will come in and be successful. Miles will be the sacrificial lamb. What do people think about coach nagy? I tend to think we can win with him long term but the realist in me says his career record is going to take a big hit in the next few years and can he ultimately last. I hope he can and I hope he has a long term contract but one has to wonder if he will ultimately be the guy to lead us to the promised land where I believe we will be in five to ten years. I hope he is given a lot of time
    ARticle is in forum under archived mcfeeley articles.

Re: mike mcfeeley article

Coach Nagy is Rock Solid at State. The only thing we have to worry about is a Bigger program scooping him up. Nagy is the MAN! 8)

Go State! ;D

Comment

Little to say in comparing Miles to Nagy. Totally different men with totally different career paths. Without the move to DI we would have lost Nagy, garunteed. He is a DI quality coach and enough people in the know were aware of this. Bottom line, only reason Nagy is here and will be here is the fact we are DI. We need to worry more about a better offer for Coach than vice versa.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I wouldn't write Miles (Doland, SD native) off at NDSU for the near-term future. He has worked some miracles everywhere he's been and he is picking up some impressive high school stars in the recents weeks...players you won't see until 2006-07. He's well liked by the fans and the administration and he'll be given a chance to build the program.

My two-cents on Nagy: I agree completely with 89Rabbit's comments. I have to believe bigger programs have been watching him. I hope the D-1 move will present new and different challenges to Nagy which will keep his interest high. He strikes me as a guy who thrives on challenges.

By the end of this basketball season, people will look at the Jacks and marvel about how young AND TALENTED they are. The credit will go to some young men who were willing to work hard and a brilliant coach who can develop players.

Comment

I remember after Nagy's first few years at SDSU when he got off to a hot start and there were whispers that it was only a matter of time before he moved on to bigger and better things. A few years ago I was having a beer with a (then) close friend of Scott's and asked him why Nagy hadn't moved on. There were a couple of reasons that he thought - no one had really come calling with a good enough offer, and also Scott has really settled into Brookings with his family and didn't really want to uproot his wife and kids. I personally would like to think that while Scott is a good enough coach to move on, he is in a place he likes, knows he can be successful, knows he has administrative support, knows he's getting paid what he deserves and will hopefully stay put until someone makes him leave. Granted, the pressure of this DI transition may have changed his outlook, but any DI school will have as many if not more pressure than this situation does. I believe that unless the bottom falls out on him, Nagy isn't going anywhere for a long, long time.

Comment

I hope you're right. We're lucky to have such top-notch basketball coaches. Nagy and Johnston will likely be attractive candidates for other jobs in the coming years. I hope the athletic department is building up a little bit of a coaches salary nest egg so we can pay them to stick around.

Comment

Originally posted by ActionJack
              I remember after Nagy's first few years at SDSU when he got off to a hot start and there were whispers that it was only a matter of time before he moved on to bigger and better things.  A few years ago I was having a beer with a (then) close friend of Scott's and asked him why Nagy hadn't moved on.  There were a couple of reasons that he thought - no one had really come calling with a good enough offer, and also Scott has really settled into Brookings with his family and didn't really want to uproot his wife and kids.  I personally would like to think that while Scott is a good enough coach to move on, he is in a place he likes, knows he can be successful, knows he has administrative support, knows he's getting paid what he deserves and will hopefully stay put until someone makes him leave.  Granted, the pressure of this DI transition may have changed his outlook, but any DI school will have as many if not more pressure than this situation does.  I believe that unless the bottom falls out on him, Nagy isn't going anywhere for a long, long time.
              Welcome to the board ActionJack. Thanks for posting

Go State! ;D

Comment

I tend to agree, Coach Nagy has found a home in Brookings. Family is very important to a guy who loves the game of basketball.  When he was selected as a finalist at Bradley, I monitored the Peoria Papers message board much like this one.  Most Bradley fans where so absorbed about the other candidates, that they never got around to ask: Who is Scott Nagy?"  I was not about to pose this question to those Bradley maniacs who respect one thing and that is winning.

Even if the worst were to happen, that is a top 25 team were to make an offer to Nagy as head coach, it would only help SDSU, as the candidates who would replace him, would be as capable if not more capable.  We got tradition in BB that we dont have in some of the other sports, but good coaches are so important.

I personally hope Scott  and family will stay at SDSU for a long time and it would be fun to see his youngsters in Jack uniforms.

I would agree with JDJack, I would not sell Miles short, he is a great coach and I think he will be given the opportunity to see what he can do with the Bison. I know this, though, and that is there is a mutual respect between Nagy and Miles.  Dont forget, Miles is a native of Doland South Dakota, and a sharpy at coaching basketball. McFeely has been wrong before.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
                  I Dont forget, Miles is a native of Doland South Dakota, and a sharpy at coaching basketball.  McFeely has been wrong before.
                  Yeah, like when he predicited NDSU would lose to Kansas State 95-45. :

Comment

Bison Guy:
                    I been away from computer access for a few days so did not get the significance of your post, but after reading 5 pages of thread over on Bisonville, I see the Bison gave K state a run for the money. Kstate 70 NDSU 61. McFeely has feathers for brains at times, and for him to say Tim Miles is in trouble is pure non-sense. Gene Taylor has to love the guy after the K state showing. What more could you expect?

Comment

Miles has a contract through the probationary period, and will probably get it renewed once the playoffs are possible. He's a young, smart coach, and seems like he should be able to build a better program at NDSU. Hopefully, now that NDSU is DI, he doesn't view his coaching position as a stepping stone to something else like two prior NDSU coaches. :-/ This year's redshirts, and the new recruits are two good classes under Miles. Just need another couple of good recruiting classes, and the team should be able to compete.

Comment

I in no way intended to sell Miles short, I think he did a great job at universities on his way to NDSU and has done a reasonable job there given the focus on FB as the primary men's sport. I was only saying that Nagy is in no way comparable given his success in the primary men's sport at SDSU.

Remember the 3 years preceding coach Nagy? No post-season appearances and mediocre showings in the NCC, granted it was a transition period. For many younger Jacks fans Nagy is synanomous with Jacks basketball. Don't think you could say the same for Coach Miles.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                        X