Men vs. Illinois-Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men vs. Illinois-Chicago

Notice the attendance - nothing spectacular.

UIC Tops SDSU 80-66

CHICAGO, ILL – Illinois – Chicago broke away late in the first half and cruised to an 80-66 victory over South Dakota State in non-conference men’s basketball action Saturday afternoon at the UIC Pavilion.

SDSU was trailing just 21-19 before UIC went on a run which put the Flames up 48-31 at halftime. UIC, now 1-2 on the year, has won 20 of its last 21 home games versus non-conference foes.

Junior Justin Bowen led four UIC players in double figures with a career-high 18 points while adding six rebounds. Sophomore Marcetteaus McGee tallied career-bests of 10 points and eight assists. Senior Cedrick Banks finished with 14 points while rookie Karl White recorded his first career double-figure outing with 10.

South Dakota State (1-3), which is in its first season as a Division I program, was paced by Michael Loney's team-high 17 points and eight rebounds.

SDSU will return to action Wednesday (Dec. 1) at Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Illinois Chicago 80, South Dakota State 66
    South Dakota State (1-3)
    Steve Holdren 4-13 3-6 12, Ben Beran 3-10 0-0 6, Jared DeJong 3-8 4-4 10, Brady Hokenson 1-5 1-1 3, Luke Geiver 2-7 0-0 6, Mackenzie Casey 1-2 1-4 3, Joe Green 4-10 0-1 9, Michael Loney 3-7 10-12 17. Totals 21-62 19-28 66

University of Illinois Chicago (1-2)
    Justin Bowen 7-9 4-5 18, Jovan Stefanov 3-10 3-4 9. Elliott Poole 4-7 2-6 10, Marcetteaus McGee 4-10 3-3 12, Cedrick Banks 5-15 2-2 14, Robert Bush 1-4 2-2 4, Karl White 4-11 1-2 10, Kevin Bond 1-2 0-0 3, Luther Boyd 0-1 0-0 0. Totals 29-69 17-24 80.

South Dakota State …. 31 35 – 66
    Illinois Chicago …… 48 32 – 80

FG% - SDSU .339, UIC .420. 3-pt FG – SDSU 5-22 (Geiver 2-5, Loney 1-1, Holdren 1-4, Green 1-5, Casey 0-1, Beran 0-3, Hokenson 0-3), UIC 5-22 (Banks 2-9, Bond 1-1, White 1-2, McGee 1-6, Bush 0-1, Stefanov 0-3). Rebounds – SDSU 46 (Loney 8, DeJong 6), UIC (43 (Poole 9). Fouls – SDSU 23, UIC 20. Fouled out – SDSU Holdren, UIC Bowen, Stefanov. Assists – SDSU 12 (Geiver 4), UIC 24 (McGee 8). Steals – SDSU 7 (Geiver 3), UIC 7 (McGee 2). Blocked shots – SDSU 2 (Holdren, DeJong), UIC 6 (Bowen 2, Poole 2). Turnovers – SDSU 18, UIC 12. Attendance – 1956.

Re: Men vs. Illinois-Chicago

It sounded on the radio like the Jacks took a lot of pretty quick shots.

One thing Nagy said in the post-game interview -- the team didn't quit. As young as these guys are, they're going to get better. But we've got a long way to go.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I suppose that attendance thing will be a real surprise to most Jack fans. We got something pretty special at SDSU. A lot of schools would like to be us. Can't.

Comment

I am not surprised with the attendence number. IUC is located kind of on the edge of the inter city with so many things going on and with students on vacation you can't expect too much. Also the IUC fans would not know much about SDSU and would view this game as a gimme. I think when IUC starts winning more conference games, I suspect their attendence would pick up.

Comment

The guys played pretty well. We have to remember that UIC just about beat the #3 team in the Nation, Georgia Tech. The way the schedule is set up, we are playing most of our best compition early in the season. It will be interesting to see how we do against Southeast Missouri St. next weekend, as I think they are a step down from Butler, Manhattan, and UIC.

I'm looking forward to getting Kleinjan back. Does anyone know when he is supposed to return? I have heard after Christmas. One other note is James Keller still on the team?

Comment

Putting the final nail in this one . . . from the Chicago Sun-Times article:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/campu...spt-uic28.html

First win not perfect, but Flames will take it

November 28, 2004

BY JOE GODDARD Staff Reporter

Illinois-Chicago had plenty to prove Saturday after opening the season with two losses.

The Flames did show a few things to a sparse Pavilion crowd of 1,956 with an 80-66 rout of South Dakota State, but not enough to satisfy coach Jimmy Collins.

''It's always a pleasure to win, but it appeared at times that they hadn't been taught anything,'' Collins said. ''Once they got a [big] lead, guys started taking shots that are not in our system. Also, their attitudes, even in winning, [were] not what we want. It was a well-coached team we played. They should have respected them more.''
            . . .

Once again, better SDSU coverage from the opponent's paper (Chicago, no less) than in the on-line Argus-Leader edition, where there was a headline but no story on the SDSU game, buried in an article about USD beating Truman State.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

"Once again, better SDSU coverage from the opponent's paper (Chicago, no less) than in the on-line Argus-Leader edition, where there was a headline but no story on the SDSU game, buried in an article about USD beating Truman State."

So I am clear on this, you are complaining about what is available to you for free on line from a source that makes money by selling their newspaper?

Comment

I didn't see anything in the Brookings print edition of the Argus leader on Sunday morning either. But then again, I wasn't looking that hard. A little disappointed not to hear anything about it on the KELO broadcast Saturday night, but what do you expect. They did cover the Jacks win over Kentucky, however.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

A story was in my paper Sunday morning under the usual college coverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_H
                    So I am clear on this, you are complaining about what is available to you for free on line from a source that makes money by selling their newspaper?
                    FYI: The Argus also makes money from selling ads on their online Web site. Newspapers are grappling with how much content to put online. Most have chosen to put everything online while weighing the revenue that comes in from online ads versus any loss in numbers of subscriptions. Most papers have found that online readers are new readers who either wouldn't have bought the paper, or who eventually decide to subscribe. Those people outnumber the ones who drop the print paper and read online instead. Remember what you don't get online: Advertising inserts. Those are big money in the Sioux Falls market. Don't believe me? Put your Wednesday and Sunday papers on a scale sometime.

So they're not exactly being charitable by providing online content. They're bowing to the reality of the online world, making some money from ads, while being sure they're not losing print readers.

I worked for Gannett. They don't do anything for long if it loses money. The Argus Web site must be making money and not hurting print subscriptions, or they wouldn't do it. Or more accurately, Gannett corporate wouldn't LET them do it.

Friends at the Argus tell me that when SDSU reports have failed to make the Argus Web site before, it hasn't been because the content is so valuable that it gets people to buy the paper instead. It was because the online editor screwed up. I'm thinking that's what happened here.

Comment

Thanks for the insight OK_Jackrabbit.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                        I didn't see anything in the Brookings print edition of the Argus leader on Sunday morning either.
                        The Register doesn't have a Sunday edition.  Today's paper was the first since the UIC game.  Here are highlights from the Register's story.

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...23&page=25

Loney scores 17, grabs eight boards in SDSU loss to Chicago-Illinois
                        BY MIKE JOHNSON

CHICAGO, Ill. — The University of Illinois-Chicago pulled away with a 27-12 run to close out the first half, then cruised the rest of the way, defeating South Dakota State 80-66 on Saturday.
                        The Jacks trailed only 21-19 with 8:10 remaining in the first half, but poor shooting, inexperience and foul trouble prevented them from making another serious run.
                        The Jacks were able to keep it close through the majority of the first half, but UIC was able to pull away, due, in part, to SDSU's shooting woes. The Jacks shot only 34 percent for the game.  .  .  .

Nagy said one of the biggest problems facing the Jackrabbits was finding someone to step up and knock down shots.
                        With the Jackrabbits’ two high scorers on the bench in foul trouble for most of the game, it was freshman Michael Loney who stepped up and led the squad with another solid game, scoring 17 points and gathering a team-high eight rebounds.
                        "He is starting to play the way we know he is capable of," Nagy said. "He is so physical and so strong, and he gets fouled a ton because he plays so physical."
                        Though Loney did have a solid all-around game, it was not enough to keep the Jacks close, as UIC built a game-high lead of 25 points in the second half, but they continued to fight, clawing it back to a 12-point game at one point.
                        "Our kids didn't quit," he said. "They could have when we got down 25, but they didn't quit."
                        The Jackrabbits did manage to outrebound UIC 46-43, but with UIC gathering 16 offensive rebounds, and shooting at a 43 percent clip, the three rebound edge wasn't nearly enough.
                        Justin Bowen led UIC with 18 points before fouling out with just over seven minutes to play in the second half. Cedrick Banks had 14 and Marcetteaus McGee chipped in with 12.
                        "I thought we did a great job defensively on Banks," Nagy said. "He is as good a guard that we will see all year, no doubt about it."
                        Jacks defenders hounded Banks throughout, forcing the guard into a five-for-15 shooting performance.
                        The Jacks (1-3) will return to action Wednesday as they again hit the road to face Wisconsin-Milwaukee, the team picked to win the division that includes both Butler and Illinois-Chicago, two teams the Jacks have fallen to this season.
                        Nagy said that if the team wants to improve, it needs to take better care of the ball (18 turnovers Saturday), and learn from early mistakes.
                        "We are dealing with kids who are very young, very wide-eyed, and a little bit nervous, but we will get through it," Nagy said.

Illinois Chicago 80, South Dakota State 66
                        South Dakota State (1-3)
                        Steve Holdren 4-13 3-6 12, Ben Beran 3-10 0-0 6, Jared DeJong 3-8 4-4 10, Brady Hokenson 1-5 1-1 3, Luke Geiver 2-7 0-0 6, Mackenzie Casey 1-2 1-4 3, Joe Green 4-10 0-1 9, Michael Loney 3-7 10-12 17. Totals 21-62 19-28 66

Illinois Chicago (1-2)
                        Justin Bowen 7-9 4-5 18, Jovan Stefanov 3-10 3-4 9. Elliott Poole 4-7 2-6 10, Marcetteaus McGee 4-10 3-3 12, Cedrick Banks 5-15 2-2 14, Robert Bush 1-4 2-2 4, Karl White 4-11 1-2 10, Kevin Bond 1-2 0-0 3, Luther Boyd 0-1 0-0 0. Totals 29-69 17-24 80.

South Dakota State …. 31 35 – 66
                        Illinois Chicago …… 48 32 – 80

FG% - SDSU .339, UIC .420. 3-pt FG – SDSU 5-22 (Geiver 2-5, Loney 1-1, Holdren 1-4, Green 1-5, Casey 0-1, Beran 0-3, Hokenson 0-3), UIC 5-22 (Banks 2-9, Bond 1-1, White 1-2, McGee 1-6, Bush 0-1, Stefanov 0-3). Rebounds – SDSU 46 (Loney 8, DeJong 6), UIC (43 (Poole 9). Fouls – SDSU 23, UIC 20. Fouled out – SDSU Holdren, UIC Bowen, Stefanov. Assists – SDSU 12 (Geiver 4), UIC 24 (McGee 8 ). Steals – SDSU 7 (Geiver 3), UIC 7 (McGee 2). Blocked shots – SDSU 2 (Holdren, DeJong), UIC 6 (Bowen 2, Poole 2). Turnovers – SDSU 18, UIC 12. Attendance – 1956.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

23 fould for the Jacks and 20 for UIC, 3 players fouled out. Either a rough, sloppy game or officials were wistle happy. Always makes the game harder when the refs affect the outcome by taking starters out of the game with fouls (maybe the players are to blame?).

Loney is big and strong but he lacks height. He hustles like crazy but he has slow feet. He has an excellent shot for a big man and nice post moves, but again, lacks height. He will make an excellent 4 but can't be expected to fill our future needs at the 5 spot. Beran is better at 4 and can play 3. I hope one of the incoming 6'10" guys (if not redshirted) or a J.C. recruit with height is waiting in the wings.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Apparently there is an officiating initiative this year to "clean up" the games. That means more fouls. Raftery and his colleagues were discussing it during the Iowa games I watched in the Maui tourney on ESPN last week. The officials were calling a lot of touchy fouls 40 feet from the basket, moving screens, etc. It was excruciating to watch. Basically, the games became free throw contests. I hope that doesn't  continue, or it could be a long year of endless, boring games.

Comment

I like Loney's agressiveness and toughness however I don't think he is big enough to play the 5 at DI and too slow to play the four. I think if you have the right talent he is a guy that comes off the bench and brings some energy to the team. If we expect to be competitive next year IMO we need to bring in an experienced athletic guard and center. If we can do that I like our depth with the current cast of players plus Cadwell and Gilbert. I got to think Nagy and company are eyeing some players to make us even more competitive next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X