2005/2006 lineup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005/2006 lineup

I think if you speculate a 2005/2006 lineup it could be very competitive when you consider:
    Potential Starting Lineup
    Point Guard-Matt Cadwell
    Shooting Guard-Steve Holdren
    Small Forward-Andre Gilbert
    Strong Forward-Ben Beran
    Center-Matt Jones?

Off the Bench
    Kelinjan Backup to shooting guard
    Casey Backup at Point
    Wenig-Backup at the 3 or 2
    Green Backup for Beran at the 4
    Maybe the best of the two 6'10 freshman will not redshirt to provide depth at center. How big would it be if Jones is capable of returning at full strength.
    Certainly need a few more pieces to be added next spring. Would be nice to bring in more experience and athleticism.

Re: 2005/2006 lineup

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
    I think if you speculate a 2005/2006 lineup it could be very competitive when you consider:
    Potential Starting Lineup
    Point Guard-Matt Cadwell
    Shooting Guard-Steve Holdren
    Small Forward-Andre Gilbert
    Strong Forward-Ben Beran
    Center-Matt Jones?

Off the Bench
    Kelinjan  Backup to shooting guard
    Casey Backup at Point
    Wenig-Backup at the 3 or 2
    Green Backup for Beran at the 4
    Maybe the best of the two 6'10 freshman will not redshirt to provide depth at center. How big would it be if Jones is capable of returning at full strength.  
    Certainly need a few more pieces to be added next spring. Would be nice to bring in more experience and athleticism.
    Add in a big man and guard/forward from the JC ranks (if we can get one) and we resemble a true DI team. However, I am not expecting Jones to play BB again. The one key player you have left out is Loney. This kid can and will play a big role in the coming years.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I knew I left somebody out. I think Loney can be a good player with more experience. I think at the DII level he would have been dominant. In DI he is going to be matched up against players bigger and quicker and he will need to adjust. He seems to dissapear at times in the game and needs to be more consistent. I like his aggressiveness and tough mentality that he brings. Will be interesting to see how he develops over the next couple of years.

Comment

Speculating on what the Jacks look like next year in men's hoops depends on how the immediate needs are addressed at the guard positions. Other than Steve Holdren, the jacks have issues on the perimeter.

Comment

From listening to Coach Nagy in private conversations, post game shows etc, perimeter shooting has not been a priority in his scheme of basketball. Rebounding and defense seem to be more important.  Also making free throws.  I dont think need to get overly concerned about shooting from the perimeter issues.

I see by the Brooking Register's game story, Loney had 18 pts and 8 boards so he is going to step and been one great player. Some how I just dont miss Andy Moeller. ;D

Comment

I can't help but disagree with the above mention to perimeter shooting. I think it is the one equalizer in college basketball as a poor team with good three point shooting and guard play can normally compete with anybody. Nagy's teams have been great rebounders but have also had stellar guard play and perimeter shooting with moeller, hansen, q, go back further sempsrott, and even the forwards shantz, estling, stoebner etc. shot the three very well. Look at the NCAA tourney every year and their are a number of average teams that make deep runs due to guard play and perimeter shooting.
            some how when i watch this years team i miss Andy moeller quite a bit.
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Guard play is the most important aspect of the game at the DI level, period. Just ask St. Joseph's. They lost their guards and went from a top ranked NC contender to a non-factor. Look at Manhatten this year. Not half the team they were last year. Guard play and perimeter shooting are what make good teams great and bad teams better.

In the Nagy era his best teams have been lead by perimeter players. Nagy brought Sempsrott here, followed him with Norberg (not as great a shooter but a better passer than the others), then Austin Hansen, and last year Andy Moeller lead this team (in Matt's absence). Despite this a team with better guards beat us many times, UNO, USD, and finally Metro.

This years team is handcuffed by lack of guard play, simple fact. Holdren can be a big 2 guard but we need to find a point. Maybe its Cadwell.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Couldn't agree more with Jackmd. You mentioned some great ones who played for the Jacks. Sempsrott, Norberg and Hanson personified the program the past few years. Great players but also made their teammates better.

Comment

If you don't think guards are important, just look at the U of MN. They have been looking for a true point guard for about the time Clem left. They have had some fair teams there over the years, but never really challenged for anything because ANY team with good guard play ate them alive.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I was unlucky enough to witness the 35 point defeat by UWMilwaukee last week. We didn't lose by that margin due to our post play. Our guards often had trouble getting the ball inbounds. When we were able to inbounds it, the UWM full court trap made it appear as if the varsity team was playing against the JV. The reason their guys were hitting threes all night was because our guards weren't good enough to play them man up. Their guards were just too fast, too quick and too strong for our current players. Every good team relies on good guard play. Whether Nagy stresses outside shooting or post play and rebounding, it all channels through the guards.
                    "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Until we significantly upgrade the talent at the guard position we will not be succesfull at the DI level. I suspect if we had our two starting guards from last year we would have one a couple of these DI game already.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                        I was unlucky enough to witness the 35 point defeat by UWMilwaukee last week.  We didn't lose by that margin due to our post play.  Our guards often had trouble getting the ball inbounds.  When we were able to inbounds it, the UWM full court trap made it appear as if the varsity team was playing against the JV.  The reason their guys were hitting threes all night was because our guards weren't good enough to play them man up.  Their guards were just too fast, too quick and too strong for our current players.  Every good team relies on good guard play.  Whether Nagy stresses outside shooting or post play and rebounding, it all channels through the guards.
                        Not to beat a dead horse, but the bigger problem is an inability to penetrate and dish or even get the ball into the post when the big men are open.  

As for the remainder of this year, we are going to need to go to a bigger line-up with Holdren at the 2, Green, Loney, and Beran rotating at 3/4 and DeJong, Loney and Beran playing time at 5.  Holdren has the body to play 35 minutes a night if someone else helps out with scoring.  Beran and Green need to and can pick-up their scoring considerably.  Loney has been stellar on the boards and scoring and just needs to continue to gain experience.  DeJong needs to focus on post defense and rebounding.  Maybe Kleinjan can pick up the guards, I'm not counting on it, though.

With the experience gained by Holdren, Loney, Beran, and Green, the return of Wenig and the addition of Gilbert and Cadwell we have the start of a legitimate DI team.  Nagy needs to add a proven inside presence on defense/the boards and a point guard who can handle and distribute the ball.  Scoring should take care of itself.

Comment

I was going to stay away from looking past this year and moaning about how untalented our gaurds are but I just couldn't do it any longer. This year, our TEAM assist to turnover ratio is horrible. 69 assist compared to 101 turnovers. But the fault does not rest entirely upon our gaurds...

Geiver 10 assists, 10 turnovers
                          Hokenson 9 assists, 14 turnovers
                          Casey 18 assists, 12 turnovers
                          Holdren 6, 16
                          Beran 6, 19
                          Loney 5, 13
                          Green 6, 10

Only 1 significant player with a positve assist/turnover ratio
                          As a team we need to take better care of the basketball if we're going to win any games.

Comment

Granted, everyone is turning the ball over too much. However, big men have a tendency to turn the ball over more when the guard play is inadequate.

Comment

I remember Tim Miles commenting that the biggest difference between high-level DII and DI was the guard play. They're just more athletic; I think that's one of the reasons he went after Woodside so hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X