Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Athlon's picks SDSU #1

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
    Yea I want to talk about the '85-'86 season how could Coach Thorson lead us to a 8-20 record after Coach Zulk took us to the D-II NCAA Championship game the year before? How in the world did a thread about a basketball publication picking us to win the Summit League and going to another Men's NCAA Tournament turn into a remember everything bad that has ever happened to the program thread? Pure crazy if you ask me.

We made the Men's NCAA D-I tournament last year - perhaps the biggest thing to ever happen to SDSU Men's Basketball and I am pumped because we could very well do it again. We are favored by Athlon to do it again and I for one am happy and looking forward not unhappy and looking back.
    I don't think anybody is unhappy, just remembering some of the aches and pains of what was otherwise a glorious DII past and a very inauspicous DI start.. In fact, I'd say it puts in perspective the relative success that is occuring now. Those of us that have been diehard fans for 30 plus years will carry those memories indefinitely.

As for Thorson, I'm pretty sure Nagy would be happy not being compared. They have vastly different philosphies on recruiting and coaching in my humble opinion.

Back on topic, this is a well deserved position to be in and I believe this team will live up to expectations. Not that that matters one bit.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      Current players have been singing the praises of Bittle. I would expect him and Nate to see time on the court together!
      If the three frosh redshirt, I believe it would take the program to a whole new, much higher level

Comment

My guess is Bittle doesn't redshirt but Donlan and Devine do. However I could see situations where none or all or any combination redshirt. Many times red shirt decisions have more to do with the other players then the ones who would be redshirted.

I think SDSU will be good but I'd also look at not winning both the regular season conference and conference tournament as a failure.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          My guess is Bittle doesn't redshirt but Donlan and Devine do. However I could see situations where none or all or any combination redshirt...
          Very valid point. And to be honest, coaches don't even necessarily know who will redshirt until a few games into the season.
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Lindy's Basketball magazine has also picked the Jacks to win the Summit. It has lots of good things to say about the team and Nate in particular.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
              Very valid point. And to be honest, coaches don't even necessarily know who will redshirt until a few games into the season.
              And it comes down to so many other factors, such as team needs, and does the athlete want to red shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                Lindy's Basketball magazine has also picked the Jacks to win the Summit. It has lots of good things to say about the team
                and Nate in particular.
                In the absence of Oral Roberts and Oakland coming back to the pack - picking the Jacks is not much of a stretch. Even without Oral Roberts the Summit League is still a resonably strong conference. Oakland, IUPUI, IPFW will all compete like usual. Plus, who knows about NDSU? If memory serves me correctly we barely snuck by Western Ill for the championship. Winning the conference is not a given but the Jacks will clearly be the favorite.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Yahoo has us #1 as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/summit-league-preview-south-dakota-state-looks-clear-130011603--ncaab.html

Comment

An SDSU/NDSU final at the Summit Tourney would be pretty amazing. If USD gets their act together at all that whole tournament could be crazy. I'm glad I bought tickets back in March.

Comment

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-baske...summit-league/

Comment

Working...
                      X