X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athlon's picks SDSU #1

http://twitter.com/summithoops

Summary of Athlon's
    @summithoops picks: 1. SDSU; 2. OU; 3. NDSU; 4. WIU; 5. IPFW; 6. IUPUI; 7. UMKC; 8. USD; 9. UNO.

Re: Athlon's picks SDSU #1

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
    http://twitter.com/summithoops

Summary of Athlon's @summithoops picks: 1. SDSU; 2. OU; 3. NDSU; 4. WIU; 5. IPFW; 6. IUPUI; 7. UMKC; 8. USD; 9. UNO.
    And to think five or so years ago they were borrowing football players to help field a team

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      And to think five or so years ago they were borrowing football players to help field a team
      And how many on here thought Nagy should be gone.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        I had plenty of doubts, and at times thought a change in coaching staffs was needed. I think both Glen Fox and Chris Wagner showed that they were not only football players. There is one more who was a big in 9 man football down by Mitchell, who name escapes me. Was it Steffan? He also did good on the court. To think we beat NDSU with these guys. There are certain memories that just dont go away. Thats why its great to be a Jack. Thanks also to Coach Nagy and staff. You have been through the ups and downs.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          I had plenty of doubts, and at times thought a change in coaching staffs was needed. I think both Glen Fox and Chris Wagner showed that they were not only football players. There is one more who was a big in 9 man football down by Mitchell, who name escapes me. Was it Steffan? He also did good on the court. To think we beat NDSU with these guys. There are certain memories that just dont go away. Thats why its great to be a Jack. Thanks also to Coach Nagy and staff. You have been through the ups and downs.

Mike Steffen from Mt Vernon is who you are thinking of.

Comment

Yep, it's amazing how much better of a coach he is with talent around. Transition is brutal in MBB. It is over and Nagy survived it. I am really glad he is our coach. You won't find a more quality person and he always has been and always will be a winner. Hats off not only to him but to all of the coaching staff for turning things around.

SDSU has always had a strong MBB tradition and supported MBB very well. It is great to have that back! This year is going to be beyond fun!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I will get murdered for saying this. But, looking back, he should have been gone.

We never would have had a 6 win season if Nagy would have switched to the offense we currently run after the 04-05 season. Unfortunately, it took him until after the 07-08 season to figure out he had personnel to run a 4 out offense. He was too stubborn.

At that point, they had gone 3 straight seasons with less than 10 wins. The team stunk for a long period of time. They won 33 games over 4 years (8.25 wins per year). That is not only not good, it is very bad. The next year we won 13 games, now that is really something. Over a 5 year span, we won a whopping total of 46 games. How many NAIA coaches could put up those results and keep their job?

Frankly, its a miracle he is still our coach.

With all that being said, I'm very glad that he has things figured out now, and I'm very glad he wasn't fired.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I know I did, from the arrests, to the losing seasons, to using football players, I think he could have been fired. Hindsight 20/20 , aren't we glad the AD didn't fire him, and I think that is a testament to things taking time. Remember Coach Ks first few seasons with Duke, I bet Duke is glad they didn't overreact to his few seasons at Duke either. However, I think part of it was that before then went D1, Nagy was regarded as a better coach than Stig and Stig did have some earlier success than Nagy so that also contributed to the heat on Nagy.
                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                  Yep, it's amazing how much better of a coach he is with talent around. Transition is brutal in MBB. It is over and Nagy survived it. I am really glad he is our coach. You won't find a more quality person and he always has been and always will be a winner. Hats off not only to him but to all of the coaching staff for turning things around.

SDSU has always had a strong MBB tradition and supported MBB very well. It is great to have that back! This year is going to be beyond fun!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                  We had enough that 10-15 wins should have been possible.

04-05 (10 wins)
                  Ben Beran
                  Steve Holdren

05-06 (9 wins)
                  Matt Cadwell
                  Steve Holdren
                  Ben Beran
                  Andre Gilbert

06-07 (6 wins)
                  Kai Williams
                  Matt Cadwell
                  Garrett Callahan

07-08 (8 wins)
                  Kai Williams
                  Ben Beran
                  Garrett Callahan
                  Clint Sargent
                  Anthony Cordova
                  Dale Moss

08-09 (13 wins)
                  Garrett Callahan
                  Clint Sargent
                  Anthony Cordova
                  Kai Williams
                  Dale Moss
                  Griffan Callahan

09-10 (14 wins)
                  Clint Sargent
                  Garrett Callahan
                  Kai Williams
                  Nate Wolters
                  Anthony Cordova
                  Dale Moss
                  Griffan Callahan
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

IMO...a lot of the "heat" that Coach Nagy took in those years had a lot to do with the success of SDSU Women's BB and even more...the success of NDSU's men's basketball team, considering NDSU was barely a blip on the screen back in the NCC years as far as Men's BB goes. People had a hard time swallowing the fact that NDSU was having so much success so early. As most of us always said, in transition, losing is more the norm than winning. NDSU caught lightning in a bottle and Tim Miles took full advantage of it....NDSU<Colorado St.<Nebraska.

The question maybe 5 years down the road and SDSU has made a couple of NCAA runs, what will Coach Nagy do???

Go Jacks!!
                    Last edited by propar80; 09-26-2012, 10:43 AM.
                    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Not just on here. The past is the past, thank God it hasn't persisted.

Next step, continue to get better. No room for complacency or being satisfied contending for Summit league titles. The goal has to be to win an NCAA tourney game and the time is now. Nagy had very successful DII regular seasons. I think its fair to say his DII teams underperformed in the post-season, regionals and Elite 8's. I'm sure I'll get chastized for saying it but I think its fact. I believe SDSU had the best team in the nation at least 2 of those years and didn't win even a single game in the elite 8.

Again, shame on me, the past is just that. Big things are and should be expected of the team this year, time to go out and achieve, meet those expetations.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Not just on here. The past is the past, thank God it hasn't persisted.

Next step, continue to get better. No room for complacency or being satisfied contending for Summit league titles. The goal has to be to win an NCAA tourney game and the time is now. Nagy had very successful DII regular seasons. I think its fair to say his DII teams underperformed in the post-season, regionals and Elite 8's. I'm sure I'll get chastized for saying it but I think its fact. I believe SDSU had the best team in the nation at least 2 of those years and didn't win even a single game in the elite 8.

Again, shame on me, the past is just that. Big things are and should be expected of the team this year, time to go out and achieve, meet those expetations.
                        The funny thing is, if SDSU underachieved during DII, they have probably overachieved during DI postseason.

In 09 we beat 2 seed Oral Roberts as a 7 seed.

In 11 we beat 4 seed IPFW as a 5 seed.

In 12 we won the whole thing as a 2 seed.

3/4 tournaments, SDSU has done better than their seed.

Comment

Yea I want to talk about the '85-'86 season how could Coach Thorson lead us to a 8-20 record after Coach Zulk took us to the D-II NCAA Championship game the year before? How in the world did a thread about a basketball publication picking us to win the Summit League and going to another Men's NCAA Tournament turn into a remember everything bad that has ever happened to the program thread? Pure crazy if you ask me.

We made the Men's NCAA D-I tournament last year - perhaps the biggest thing to ever happen to SDSU Men's Basketball and I am pumped because we could very well do it again. We are favored by Athlon to do it again and I for one am happy and looking forward not unhappy and looking back.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            We had enough that 10-15 wins should have been possible.

04-05 (10 wins)
                            Ben Beran
                            Steve Holdren

05-06 (9 wins)
                            Matt Cadwell
                            Steve Holdren
                            Ben Beran
                            Andre Gilbert

06-07 (6 wins)
                            Kai Williams
                            Matt Cadwell
                            Garrett Callahan

07-08 (8 wins)
                            Kai Williams
                            Ben Beran
                            Garrett Callahan
                            Clint Sargent
                            Anthony Cordova
                            Dale Moss

08-09 (13 wins)
                            Garrett Callahan
                            Clint Sargent
                            Anthony Cordova
                            Kai Williams
                            Dale Moss
                            Griffan Callahan

09-10 (14 wins)
                            Clint Sargent
                            Garrett Callahan
                            Kai Williams
                            Nate Wolters
                            Anthony Cordova
                            Dale Moss
                            Griffan Callahan
                            Until the scrawny kid from St.Cloud showed up in the most recent year of your list,how many of those players were true point guards ? It's amazing how adding a really good point can make some talented players who struggle to win into a team that can be successful. Ask Bison fans what happened after Woodside left and they didn't have anyone to take over and run the show. Fortunately for the Jacks, early reports from work-outs indicate that Nate's heir-apparent may be already on campus in the person of Mr.Bittle.

Comment

Current players have been singing the praises of Bittle. I would expect him and Nate to see time on the court together!
                              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Working...
                              X