Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experience

I kind of knew this but seeing it in print in yesterday's press realease for the SDSU vs SDSU game really drove it home.

From the release:

This is the youngest team Coach Nagy has had in his career at SDSU . . . while SDSU has three seniors in the starting lineup, collectively they entered the season with just 13 starts (9 by Jared DeJong, 3 by Luke Geiver and 1 by Brady Hokenson) . . . and they had 572 points in 214 games (2.68 ppg).

Also from the press release:

SDSU has three seniors, no juniors, five sophomores, one redshirt freshman and five first-year freshmen.

Is it any wonder that we are inconsistent. . . . Can you say rebuilding?

Go State!

Re: Experience

I'll repost this here.

I think it's fair to say the women's BB team is exceeding expectations, and the men are underperforming our (the fan's) very lofty expectations for SDSU basketball.

I'm with Nagy that the men are better than what they're showing on the court. I hope that a few games of home cooking will get them back on track (and knowing the overall quality of players SDSU recruits, that's my expectation as well).

To the SDSU men's basketball team: hey, guys, we're still with you, and we understand that this is a transitional year. Relax a little bit and have some fun, you'll be fine. You're good players, otherwise you wouldn't be in Brookings.

To the SDSU fans: it's easy to get behind a team when they're winning . . . the test of the true fan is whether or not you turn out to support your team when things aren't going so well. Ring those bells, folks!!!!!

--- repost begins ---

Here's where we are, personnel-wise. My take: we definitely will continue to take our lumps this year. We're very young, and not very deep. We'll be very young next year, too, but will have a lot more depth, and the minutes that Casey, Holdren, Loney, Green, and Beran are racking up this year will be valuable experience going forward.

Getting players like Cadwell, Gilbert, and Weinig on the court next year will significantly improve our overall athletic ability. Having two legitimate centers in Engen and Bilitz will improve the post play, even if they're both freshmen.

Next year we'll still be an up-and-down team. We'll have the athletic ability to beat some teams who are "better" than us, but we'll also still be young enough to lose to some teams we shouldn't.

It's a great time to be a Jackrabbit (alum, fan, player)!

(mpg=minutes per game; ppg=points per game, rpg=rebounds per game)
    Recruits
    Engen, (6'10" C, 21 ppg, 10 rpg)
    Bilitz, (6'10" C, 15.4 ppg, 10.9 rpg)
    Yackley (unconfirmed) (6'5" G/F)

Fr
    Casey (6'0" G, 14.4mpg, 2.3 ppg, 2.0rpg)
    Holdren (6'5" F, 29.3mpg,11.8 ppg, 6.2rpg)
    Loney (6'6" F, 22.3 mpg, 9.3 ppg 4.0rpg)

Fr (RS)
    Keller (6'2" G)
    Cadwell (6'3" G)
    Gilbert (6'7'" F)

So
    Kleinjan (6'3" G, 14.8 mpg, 5.3 ppg, 0.8rpg)
    DeWaard (6'5" G/F, 2.8 mpg, 0.0ppg, 0.3rpg)
    Green (6'8" F, 22.1 mpg, 7.3 ppg, 4.4rpg)
    Beran (6'7" F, 25.0 mpg, 10.8 ppg, 5.6rpg)

So (RS)
    Weinig (6'5" F)

Jr
    (nobody)

Sr
    Giever (6'2" G, 30.2mpg, 9.7 ppg, 2.4rpg)
    Hokensen (6'1" G, 27.5mpg, 6.5 ppg, 2.9rpg)
    DeJong (6'11" C, 23.8 mpg, 5.3 ppg, 4.3rpg)
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Thinking about next year's roster with Weinig out of the picture.

We need a couple of guards . . . we really need a couple of guards. Kleinjan, Keller, Cadwell . . . which one will be the point and run the team? Or do we go juco for a bit of upper-class leadership?
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think Cadwell will prove to be quite a player. He is the all-time leading scorer at Cretin Derham Hall in St. Paul which has produced some great athletes. I would think he is more of a 2 but based on his bio he is versatile to play a lot of positions. I don't know much about Keller and Andy seems to be more of a 2 as well. Casey is still young and green. I think we need to go out and get a quick point guard from the juco ranks that has experience and can distribute the rock. I thought Marquise did an excellant job of playing point and I think we could use someone with his quickness and ability to defend.

Comment

Travis Kern out of Mid-Prairie Iowa is rated as one of the top 10 point guards in the senior class in Iowa. He listed SDSU,NDSU and Cornell as a few of the many schools recruiting him. A couple of the top guards in Minnesota who have not found a home yet include Courtney Tyler and R.J. Wilkins. Andre Gilbert apparently can play some point guard. A 6'6 point guard that would be a first at SDSU?

Comment

Working...
          X