Next year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next year.

I know the season just ended but I think a lot of us have high expectations as well as the team. What are we looking for, what is the team going to look like, who will step up with Griff gone now....

All I know is we need to get more depth from the bench. Was surprisred to see Horstman on the bench so much when I thought his athletic ability could have really been a factor in games.

I expect us to be regular and summit league champs again. Would love to see run the table in confrnce but my guess is we end with 2 confrence losses. I usually care mostly about confrence play but next year I think I am going to follow more closely what we do out of confrence. We had games this year we finished, but had several we let slip away. How does that change next year is a big question for me.

Wolters Huge year again. probably around the same stats. would love to see his 3pt percent go up again where we know its capable of being.

Need Carlson and White to fill in more for Griff being gone and will probably see White step into the starting line up.

Bench, wonder who will step up. I expect the Zachs to see more time. hope they develop their D so we dont loose anything when they go in for the starters.

Marcus and Prince prbably will be the first 2 off the bench. like to see Marcus get more minutes and productivity. his passing ability could really change the dynamic of this team even more if he keeps improviing.

As for the team, our defense has been pretty solid, love to see that effort again next year.

Offense would love to see more dribble drive with Carlson and White so they are threats bringing the ball in so its not just Dykstra on a mismatch or Wolters on a blow by. I think that could really create a lot of passing lanes for post guys and more kick outs for the 3 pt shoots so its coming inside out and not swinging around the outside. either way I am looking forward to see what happens.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Re: Next year.

I am curious to see what will come from our class of red shirts also. I wonder how many will make the final roster, or how many can make the roster with the incoming recruits. At any rate as long as our guys keep improving thier games in the off season I think next year has the possibility to really be special. I also think that the summit league will have another good season with the WIU and NDSU both giving us the most competition for the top. I think we can improve our nonconference record to help boost our team and league RPI. I think we have our recruiting at a higher level now and I think we will be a force to recon with for years to come, although I would not mind an athletic 7 footer to shock the worlds and choose SDSU.

Comment

We currently have four redshirts, the two Zach's, and two intriguing recruits lined up to help fill in the single (yet substantial) slot opened up with Griff's departure. There's also that third scholarship that could be used on a juco player who could show up ready to go. I imagine SDSU would be very appealing to a juco player who is interested in playing in an NCAA tourney.

When you add all of that to the improvement that we should see from the guys who played this year, you have some hype-worthy potential. It will be another fun year with much more attention paid to the early non-conference games and bigger crowds at Frost. Casual SD sports fans and the local (non-Argus) media got a good taste of what SDSU is capable of and more of them will hop on board. I can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
        We currently have four redshirts, the two Zach's, and two intriguing recruits lined up to help fill in the single (yet substantial) slot opened up with Griff's departure. There's also that third scholarship that could be used on a juco player who could show up ready to go. I imagine SDSU would be very appealing to a juco player who is interested in playing in an NCAA tourney.

When you add all of that to the improvement that we should see from the guys who played this year, you have some hype-worthy potential. It will be another fun year with much more attention paid to the early non-conference games and bigger crowds at Frost. Casual SD sports fans and the local (non-Argus) media got a good taste of what SDSU is capable of and more of them will hop on board. I can't wait.
        Zach Horstman did not redshirt this year due to the minutes he played this year. Although limited minutes this year, he will be a true-sophomore next year.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
          Zach Horstman did not redshirt this year due to the minutes he played this year. Although limited minutes this year, he will be a true-sophomore next year.
          He's not saying that Zach H redshirted. He's saying that we have 4 redshirts and the 2 Zach's and 2 recruits, etc etc
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
            He's not saying that Zach H redshirted. He's saying that we have 4 redshirts and the 2 Zach's and 2 recruits, etc etc
            Consistency from Chad and Brayden.. push from Prince, Francis etc. JUCO help down low.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
              Has anyone ever heard a reason why from Nagy that he didn't redshirt Zach H? Sure seems like a waste of a year of eligibility.

As for Chad, I think he has a long way to go before he is ready to take Griff's role in the starting line up. A lot more to the game than just shooting 3's.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
                Has anyone ever heard a reason why from Nagy that he didn't redshirt Zach H? Sure seems like a waste of a year of eligibility.

As for Chad, I think he has a long way to go before he is ready to take Griff's role in the starting line up. A lot more to the game than just shooting 3's.
                The reason was he didn't want to have only 9 players on the team. My understanding was that 1 or 2 of the walk-ons weren't going to red shirt but were injured so the Zach's had their red shirts pulled.

Comment

Thoughts:

1: Sometimes, it's the student-athlete who doesn't want to red-shirt. Don't know if that's the case with the Zachs, but it happens--it's not totally under the coach's control.

2: Each of the Zachs averaged nearly 8 minutes per game. I'm not sure what the expectations are of some people regarding what freshmen should contribute. Yeah, we'd all love all of our freshmen to come in and average 20 minutes + and be super-phenoms. There's a reason why those kinds of freshmen are so remarkable--they're exceptionally rare.

3: I suspect both of them will see double those minutes (or more) next year.

4: I think the Callahan/toughness factor next year will largely come from Fiegen, from Prince, and from Wolters. Fiegen took a huge step forward this year and I think will be ready to be a senior leader in the Callahan style.

5: Wolters will also be a senior, and I think he'll be playing next year with something to prove, after watching him put his heart and soul into it in Albuquerque. He'll have to take up some of the Callahan senior-toughness, refuse-to-lose mantle, too.

6. My guess/hope is that Devine will come in and play well enough in pre-season practices that Nagy won't be able to red-shirt him. He'll add an X factor to the Jacks that they haven't had--a true big man, shot-blocker, and presence in the post.

/disclaimer: I don't know nuthin'.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post

Not quite sure I agree on Chad White. In the Summit championship game he played 35 minutes,and followed up with 30 minutes against Baylor,while fighting a bad knee. When you combine both games,one could argue he was one of the two or three best players on the team. He shot threes,but also played good defense with two big blocks in the WIU game. I think it comes down to Chad and Prince to fill Griff's spot,and when you consider White played 65 minutes in the last two games compared to 8 minutes for Prince,it would seem to me that Chad has the early edge.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                      Not quite sure I agree on Chad White. In the Summit championship game he played 35 minutes,and followed up with 30 minutes against Baylor,while fighting a bad knee. When you combine both games,one could argue he was one of the two or three best players on the team. He shot threes,but also played good defense with two big blocks in the WIU game. I think it comes down to Chad and Prince to fill Griff's spot,and when you consider White played 65 minutes in the last two games compared to 8 minutes for Prince,it would seem to me that Chad has the early edge.
                      Once Prince learns to play defense you'll see his minutes increase. Until then he'll stay under 20 min/game.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                        Once Prince learns to play defense you'll see his minutes increase. Until then he'll stay under 20 min/game.
                        That is my guess with zach : also. He esentially came in and won us the gam at iupui shooting the 3 imo. He has skills that I think will be shown more in the nest year. With griff out if zach H can learn a little of that toughness and hustle with his jumps. He could be imo our biggest match up night mare for other teams along with dykstra.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Not sure where to put this comment: Make a point of watching the Jackrabbit Insider if you missed it Sunday night...find it when it's re-run. It's a good one. Watching the game highlights from the Baylor game...darn, we were in that one. 1:11 to go and we're within 4.

Comment

Nagy has stated that the biggest improvements come between the Frosh and Soph year. Jacks have 3 players, the two Zachs, and T. Prince that were Frosh this year. That should be some substantial increases if those 3 come back with the improvements that we saw from Jordan, Tony, Chad, and Marcus this season.

Devine will be a game changer for the Jacks, clogging up the middle, and altering the drives and short jumpers. However, nex year, he'll be a skinny Frosh. Like Keith Benson his Frosh year, we'll see flashes of his abilities, but he'll get pushed around by the thick centers of the league. Can't teach 7' though.

Hope that Jacks have a more solid line-up of BCS teams set, and especially those NIT teams. Start in Nov. with some upper Mid's (WKU, MTSU, Denver, St. Mary, Iona, Buffalo). In Dec. go into those dens of unfair play, and pull some upsets. If Jacks can go another 10-4, but add the wins over 4 BCS teams, Jacks will be well poised for another run into the NCAA's. Want the Jacks to achieve Nagy's goal of advancing in the NCAA. That means getting better than a 14/15/16 seed. Would love to see the Summit achieve an at-large.

Based on who's coming back, pre-season poll for the Summit should be:

1. SDSU
                            2. Oakland
                            3. WIU
                            4. NDSU
                            5. IPFW
                            6. IUPUI
                            7. USD
                            8. UMKC
                            9. UNO

Much more comfortable in the upper part of that bracket than the positions of the lower 4. Really know zip about UNO.

Comment

When does the non-conference schedule come out? I assume that probably won't happen for a while, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I agree about the freshman-to-sophomore improvement. We've seen a lot of that over the past few years. One guy not on your list of examples is Carlson. He progressed from a handful of minutes to a quality starter who could handle tough defensive assignments and hit big shots. There's a good chance that we'll see similar progress from at least one of the 3 freshman from this year's team. Hopefully they work hard this off-season.

Comment

Working...
                              X