Re: Buena Vista is unbeaten . . .

OK. Whew.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Post-game: good to hear Nagy sound happy

Comment

And . . . Buena Vista is no longer unbeaten.

Bring on the Bison, and then on to the 'Roos!
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

01/08/2005
          Jacks Hand Buena Vista First Loss

BROOKINGS, SD – Joe Green scored a career high 24 points as South Dakota State handed Buena Vista its first loss of the season, 75-65 at Frost Arena Saturday night.

Green, 6-8 sophomore from Waverly, IA, had a double-double with 10 rebounds as SDSU had a 48-37 advantage on the boards. Green’s previous high was 20 points against Minnesota-Duluth last year.

SDSU led 31-26 at halftime but Division III Buena Vista hung tough in the second half, thanks in part to the three-point shooting of guard Eric Wiebers, who hit seven treys and led the Beavers with 30 points. BVU came back from a 41-31 deficit to lead 44-43 on a layup by Randy Bissen with 11:56 to play.

Two free throws by Green put the Jacks back on top, and they built a 58-46 advantage with Green scoring nine points and adding an assist to a basket by Luke Geiver.

The Jacks, playing without leading scorer Steve Holdren, out with an illness, had three players in double figures with Ben Beran adding 19 points and 9 rebounds while Michael Loney added 13 points.

Neither team shot well, SDSU at 39 per cent and BV at 38, but the Jacks overcame a 26-24 field goal deficit by hitting 24-of-30 free throws including 18-of-21 in the second half.

SDSU, now 3-11 for the season, will host North Dakota State in the Pork Classic next Saturday, Jan. 15, while BV fell to 9-1 and will play at Wartburg Tuesday.

South Dakota State 75, Buena Vista 65
          Buena Vista (9-1)
          Michael Cameron 1-8 0-0 2, Randy Bissen 4-8 2-5 10, Brandon Kies 3-12 0-0 7, Jordan Campbell 3-10 0-0 7, Eric Wiebers 11-8 1-1 30, Nesha Francic 0-0 0-0 0, Jesse Schmidt 1-3 0-0 2, Matt Wittry 2-4 0-0 5, Mark Joekel 0-2 0-0 0, Reece Viet 1-3 0-0 2. Totals 26-68 3-6 65.

South Dakota State (3-11)
          Joe Green 8-15 6-6 24, Ben Beran 5-13 9-12 19, Jared DeJong 1-6 2-2 4, Luke Geiver 2-7 3-4 7, Brady Hokenson 0-3 1-2 1, Mackenzie Casey 0-2 0-0 0, Andy Kleinjan3-6 0-1 7, Michael Loney 5-9 3-3 13. Totals 24-61 24-30 75.

Halftime: SDSU 31, BVU 26

FG% - BVU .382, SDSU .393. 3-pt FG – BVU 10-37 (Wiebers 7-13, Wittry 1-1, Kies 1-6, Campbell 1-7, Bissen 0-1, Schmidt 0-1, Joekel 0-2, Viet 0-2, Cameron 0-4), SDSU 3-16 (Green 2-6, Kleinjan 1-3, Loney 0-1, Casey 0-1, Geiver 0-2, Hokenson 0-3). Rebounds – BVU 37 (Campbell 7), SDSU 48 (Green 10, Beran 9). Fouls – BVU 25, SDSU 12. Fouled out – none. Assists – BVU 13 (Wittry 4), SDSU 16 (Geiver 5). Steals – BVU 8 (Wiebers 4), SDSU 9 (Green 2, Beran 2, Geiver 2, Kleinjan 2). Blocked shots – BV 6 (Bissen 2, Campbell 2), SDSU 2 (Beran 2). Turnovers – BVU 15, SDSU 13. Attendance-1313.

http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...cfm?Id=46,4014

Comment

Good to get a win. It will only be a good win if we can take something away from this game that will help us the rest of the year.

7 treys for some DIII guard? I don't understand how you let one guy keep his team in the game. Nagy needs to find someone interested in leading this team defensively.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think the guy with all the 3's, Wiebers, was the one Nagy said SDSU had recruited hard, but went to UNO as a freshman. Wound up at BV because he wanted to play football, too. In short, he was a quality player.

This was a very good win for a men's team that was struggling and was playing without Holdren, the leading scorer. Nagy was delighted with Green finally stepping up and hitting his shots to record a career high for points and a double-double. Definitely a win to build on.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I was a traitor last night. Went to vermillion to the USD/Augie game. What a joke of a crowd for the "new rivalry" for USD. Not even 4000. Of course the students werent back yet but i bet if sdsd would have been coming to town, the students would have come back early. And of course, mueller(gag) smiled and clapped everytime he made a 3.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                  I think the guy with all the 3's, Wiebers, was the one Nagy said SDSU had recruited hard, but went to UNO as a freshman.  Wound up at BV because he wanted to play football, too.  In short, he was a quality player.

This was a very good win for a men's team that was struggling and was playing without Holdren, the leading scorer.  Nagy was delighted with Green finally stepping up and hitting his shots to record a career high for points and a double-double.  Definitely a win to build on.
                  I agree with Filbert here and having been at the game, its true that Joe Green started to break out and if Beran and Holden can match him and find themselves pushing each other for playing time, this could be the start of a new team.

The Weibers guy did seem kind of familar, but was also listening to Coach Nagy after the game. He did explain as filbert said that they had been after this kid. He is from Denison Iowa, which is a short distance from Omaha and I can see how he started out their. Nagy said he ended up at Buena Vista since he could play both football and basketball.

Since I have renewed my Wellness Center membership and hope to get to Brooking more often I plan to do my daily walks in Frost and watch a practice if I hit the right times.

Saturday Morning Matt Caldwell and Coach Matt Wiber were working on Caldwell's 3 pt shooting. Apparently Caldwell will be the guy from the preimeter next year, but just from what I watched, Caldwell would not stand up to pressure defense when shooting the three like this Wiebers kid from BV does. Of course Caldwell is a true freshman and the BV guy is a senior.

So Caldwell definitely needs this red shirt year.

BTW Wilber is as deadly as ever with the threes and he is the right coach to be working with Caldwell. ;D

Comment

From BVU's web site:

http://www.bvu.edu/athletics/headlin...ine.asp?id=367

Men's Basketball Falls at Division I South Dakota State

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Brookings, S.D. - Joe Green scored a career high 24 points as South Dakota State, a provisional NCAA I member, handed fifth-ranked Buena Vista its first loss of the season, 75-65 at Frost Arena Saturday night.

SDSU led 31-26 at halftime but Buena Vista hung tough in the second half, thanks in part to the three-point shooting of guard Eric Wiebers, who hit seven treys and led the Beavers with 30 points. BVU came back from a 41-31 deficit to lead 44-43 on a layup by Randy Bissen with 11:56 to play. Bissen was the second leading scorer with ten points.

Two free throws by Green put the Jacks back on top, and they built a 58-46 advantage with Green scoring nine points and adding an assist to a basket by Luke Geiver.

Green had a double-double with 10 rebounds as SDSU had a 48-37 advantage on the boards. The Jacks had three players in double figures with Ben Beran adding 19 points and 9 rebounds while Michael Loney added 13 points. . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

Saturday Morning Matt Caldwell and Coach Matt Wiber were working on Caldwell's 3 pt shooting.  Apparently Caldwell will be the guy from the preimeter next year, but just from what I watched, Caldwell would not stand up to pressure defense when shooting the three like this Wiebers kid from BV does. Of course Caldwell is a true freshman and the BV guy is a senior.

So Caldwell definitely needs this red shirt year.

BTW Wilber is as deadly as ever with the  threes and he is the right coach to be working with Caldwell. ;D
                      Matt's been deadly from 3 point land since the 6th grade when he used to hit about 8 a game. Now if he can just coach away that nagging "conscience" that affects some people (like his older cousin) when they miss a couple of shots in a row. The best shooters keep shooting because they truly believe the last miss was a fluke and the next one will go in. Matt, as a true "gunner", will tell you he never let a miss get in the way of an open look. Attitude. It's a big part of the game and something that we lack on this years team. I'm hoping a win or two and some hot shooting for the Joe Greens of the team will lead to some renewed confidence and a little 'Tude. Bring back that confidence and swagger and maybe we'll get back to expecting to win our games, not just hoping.
                      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Milwaukee:
                        I was about to send you a message asking how you were related to Matt Wilber, but you answered the question for me. Thanks. When you hear the game on the air and see the Jacks in action this year, you can come away with some troubled thoughts and doubts, but a visit to the team practice kind of help me a bit and was a way in appraising the program.  This year is ours in the barrel and not much we can do, but watching the entire squad in practice, you see some bright futures for some of these kids.

Andre Gilbert seems to have the ability and you hope he can fully adapted to Coach Nagy's defense and philosophy.

I dont know as much about the game as I should, but I was impressed with both Matt and Andy Cone and what they were doing with individual players.  You dont see that in a game too much.

One of the hardest working guys on the team I think is Michael Loney, he is the first one out on the floor before practice, or at least last friday and Saturday that was the case. He seems to be the model of a hard working athlete.

Comment

Just from the two games I was able to watch this year, I was really impressed with Loney. Against some big guys at UWMilwaukee and Marquette, he not only held his own, but took it to them. He has really nice post moves and seemed to leave everything on the floor. It will be fun to see how his career plays out. His attitude and zest for the game can only be good for the future of the Jacks.
                          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                          X