X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Illinois, 2/23

Time to put Buffalo behind us.

Western Illinois is next up in Frost.

SDSU eked out a one-point win in Macomb all the way back in December. Western is 8-8 in the Summit, 14-12 overall.

Don't underestimate them. Any team with Ceola Clark on it is a dangerous team. I think their season turned when they lost at home in 2OT to Oakland. But . . . they took Oakland into 2 overtimes. They're fighting for seeding in the Summit League tournament. SDSU is just playing out the season.

The next two games qualify IMHO as "trap games," this one especially as IUPUI is a really hot team coming into Frost on Saturday. Jacks need to take care of business against the Leathernecks.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Western Illinois, 2/23

Yea but they had to hit a half court shot to cut it to one. With that said they play a very slow and defensive style and we have to be ready for it. I think we will be ready and play our game and win at home - maybe big time.

Comment

Agreed....playing at home this is a VERY different Jackrabbits team. We have dictated the pace at home and as most have found - we are very difficult to beat in Frost. That being said, it could be a trap game, but my bets are that Coach Nagy and Coach Grif will have this team focussed and ready for the Leathernecks AND Jaguars. Hoping to make it to one of the two - Go Jacks!!! (And then we take OVER Sioux Falls!!!)

Comment

Part of me thinks sdsu would in a wierd way benefit from loosing one of these games. I know you don't want too lose but I mean like rest your starters avoid injuries and when this team lost before it comes out and plays some inspired ball. Like in pro sports how they rest up knowing 2nd seed is locked up. Not that I think the team would want to rest up or take a game easy. If we lose 1 we have new motivation because our home win streak ended and our guys are rested really give it hell in the summit tourney then. Either way I don't see us losing either game.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

WIU is going to possess the ball, pack the lane and force the Jacks to beat them with outside shots. They'll limit opportunities for primary and secondary possessions and if they can score at a high percentage this will be a close game. Worst case scenario things start out like they did during the last loss and SDSU finds itself in a hole. I expect it will be close until last 10 minutes when the Jackrabbits wear them down and finish them off. Won't be there for Thursday's game but will be Saturday.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

One thing you look at is we turn right around and play one of these guys again in a week. As we all know it is tough to beat a team three times. If we take them to the woodshed do they come back with a chip on their shoulder(UND or USD)? If they beat us, do they come back with a lot more confidence?
            Hopefully, we just take everyone to the woodshed all the way to the Dance! We're ready for this final run!
            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Part of me thinks sdsu would in a wierd way benefit from loosing one of these games. I know you don't want too lose but I mean like rest your starters avoid injuries and when this team lost before it comes out and plays some inspired ball. Like in pro sports how they rest up knowing 2nd seed is locked up. Not that I think the team would want to rest up or take a game easy. If we lose 1 we have new motivation because our home win streak ended and our guys are rested really give it hell in the summit tourney then. Either way I don't see us losing either game.
              I think that would be a terrible idea. These are 18-23 year old men. They are suppose to be resilient and in game shape. They don't need to be rested to be ready for the conference tourney which would still be a week away so rest wont be a problem. If injuries happen, that is part of the game. I am sure if we are sitting comfortable with a lead, Nagy will rest the starters.

The difference between pro sports such as football is that they are only seeded one time and playing for a super bowl. If we win the conference tournament we are reseeded. We need wins to get a better than a 16 seed.
              It's just an old Army trick I learned in the Navy.

Comment

Am I the only one that feels like it has been forever since the last game? I'm afraid I'll be struggling with major withdrawl issues about 3 weeks from now.

I agree that you keep the pedal to the floor for these last 2 games. Seeding in the NCAA or (maybe) NIT is on the line and we need all the wins we can get for either one.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitfarmer View Post
                  I think that would be a terrible idea. These are 18-23 year old men. They are suppose to be resilient and in game shape. They don't need to be rested to be ready for the conference tourney which would still be a week away so rest wont be a problem. If injuries happen, that is part of the game. I am sure if we are sitting comfortable with a lead, Nagy will rest the starters.

The difference between pro sports such as football is that they are only seeded one time and playing for a super bowl. If we win the conference tournament we are reseeded. We need wins to get a better than a 16 seed.
                  Losing a game between now and mid- to late-March is a TERRIBLE idea.

And SDSU's RPI is good enough that if we make the tournament we will likely be no worse than a 14. If ORU wins out, they might sneak as high as a 12, depending on what other teams do.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

And SDSU's RPI is good enough that if we make the tournament we will likely be no worse than a 14. If ORU wins out, they might sneak as high as a 12, depending on what other teams do.
                    This.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

This

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                        This.
                        Agreed we need every win we can get and if we lay an egg during the tourney the season is over.

Comment

Sounds like a bit of weather coming in . . . all of you on-campus readers/posters need to get the word out to the SDSU students that Friday's homework needs to be done early so that the stands can be full at 7 pm Thursday night . . .

Nothing better than a cozy warm Frost Arena on a snowy late February night . . .
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

No snow in Brookings yet.

Comment

Looks like the storm ducked south over the night. Still would suck to drive through from KC. Sigh.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X