A Scheduling Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Scheduling Idea

Maybe what I am suggesting has been done before between schools but what is the idea here amongst Jacks fans of scheduling in tandom between USD and SDSU. What I mean specifically is that the pair could look for another willing pair to schedule together. For instance in the first year the Dakotas go out to North Carolina and play Appalachian State and Western Carolina on the same trip. The year after both schools come to South Dakota and play the Jacks and Coyotes. It would involved one plane trip out, one short bus ride between opponents and one plane trip back. It would seem like a sensable way to find games, save a little on expenses and fill the schedule with different teams that aren't typically seen around here. Maybe a Thursday-Saturday arrangement or a Friday-Sunday arrangement.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Re: A Scheduling Idea

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
    Maybe what I am suggesting has been done before between schools but what is the idea here amongst Jacks fans of scheduling in tandom between USD and SDSU. What I mean specifically is that the pair could look for another willing pair to schedule together. For instance in the first year the Dakotas go out to North Carolina and play Appalachian State and Western Carolina on the same trip. The year after both schools come to South Dakota and play the Jacks and Coyotes. It would involved one plane trip out, one short bus ride between opponents and one plane trip back. It would seem like a sensable way to find games, save a little on expenses and fill the schedule with different teams that aren't typically seen around here. Maybe a Thursday-Saturday arrangement or a Friday-Sunday arrangement.
    I think that its a good idea, it is just my understanding that scheduling is MUCH more difficult then any of us can imagine. Very tough to be able to work something like that out between two other schools.

Comment

I dont think we're having problems finding games. We had a nice OOC schedule this year. USD's schedule isnt our problem.

Comment

I think it's a good idea, I'm just not sure it's feasible. Getting four schools on the same page like that would be difficult.

Mitchell, although we had a good OOC schedule this year doesn't mean we couldn't benefit from an arrangement like that. Reducing travel costs to get games is a win-win. We essentially did this when we played UGA. Didn't we have a holiday classic in GA on the same trip? Also, getting two different teams to Frost might help get a decent crowd there.

I realize it also could have the opposite effect, people don't know the teams so don't show up.

Comment

REALLY!! Oh Mom, must I take my little brother to the movies with us? Does he have to follow us everywhere? Doesn't he have any friends of his own?

Comment

Well what I would like to see is a Holiday Tourney in Sioux Falls with SDSU, USD, NDSU and bring in three OOC teams and everyone play games on three consecutive days or nights. Similar to what we did playing at Mercer this year.

Or we could have the SDSU and USD men and women play in a two day tourney, were the women play during the day in a double header against 2 OOC teams like Middle Tennessee and Marist (you know two good mid-major teams so as not to hurt the RPI). And the men play 2 OOC teams at night in a double header. Then swap teams between SDSU and USD the next day. It would help on travel for both SDSU and USD and I am sure that 3,000 to 4,000 would show up easily for each session.

Get a Corporate sponsor to sponsor the tourney like Sanford, Avera or Daktronics.

Anyway just a thought. Probably a pipe dream actually.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
              Well what I would like to see is a Holiday Tourney in Sioux Falls with SDSU, USD, NDSU and bring in three OOC teams and everyone play games on three consecutive days or nights. Similar to what we did playing at Mercer this year.

Or we could have the SDSU and USD men and women play in a two day tourney, were the women play during the day in a double header against 2 OOC teams like Middle Tennessee and Marist (you know two good mid-major teams so as not to hurt the RPI). And the men play 2 OOC teams at night in a double header. Then swap teams between SDSU and USD the next day. It would help on travel for both SDSU and USD and I am sure that 3,000 to 4,000 would show up easily for each session.

Get a Corporate sponsor to sponsor the tourney like Sanford, Avera or Daktronics.

Anyway just a thought. Probably a pipe dream actually.
              I use to always think about something like that, but I've talked to a few people in the know and they just don't see enough of an upside. essentially there are already too many tournaments, it is very difficult to schedule already and its easier for SDSU to find a tournament somewhere and get 2-3 games then to have any part in hosting one. Also and I think a big thing is the SDSU faithful want to make Frost home, unless its BIG financial benefit to play in SF they would rather have the game at Frost.

Comment

What's the maximum # of games that can be played at a location, and still be considered neutral? I'd hate to see SF lose the ability to host the Summit tourney over such an issue?

Comment

If memory serves correctly it is 3 for a single team. However I believe that for a venue to host an NCAA tournament round, a minimum of 2 NCAA games have to have been played there during that season, with one by a local 'host' team to be able to host the event. Not sure if a Summit League tourney would allow the Event Center to qualify at some point in the future.

I would think a Holiday Tournament on the Women's side could work, especially if they are round-robin format, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    REALLY!! Oh Mom, must I take my little brother to the movies with us? Does he have to follow us everywhere? Doesn't he have any friends of his own?
                    Very funny Rpt points given. Seriously, I really do not think that we should risk losing the Summit over some scheduling. I am confident the AD and staff at SDSU would looking into this if it were to be found to be a problem. I dont think they sign any contract without first considering all the ramifications.

Comment

Working...
                    X