Basketball Revenues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basketball Revenues

As we all know Basketball is a our cash cow and helps subsidize the non-revenue sports. A lot has been made of our attendence being down with the lackluster home schedule in our transition year. I wonder though with the men and women now playing at different times and the fact we are virtually doubling the number of home games by virtue of the men and women not playing together if total revenue may be comparable to years past. For example we lose 8,000 fans for the USD game but virtually can make this a wash if we draw 4,000 for both the Men and Womens games against NDSU. I understand you have some fixed expenses that may increase. Is this flawed logic?

Re: Basketball Revenues

The NDSU game did draw 5000 by itself in the past as well i would assume. I think your logic is correct but will prove to be starting next year. When we can have twice as many home games with average attendence we should see a jump. This year we may have twice as many games, but the opponents and quality fo product have limited the draw for the average fan.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

And don't forget all the home football games next year. Anybody remember how many? I think there are only two road games.

Comment

Eight home games for football. I think it will be amazing if we could keep our per game attendance as high next year with that many games.

(not necessarily in this order)
        Wisconsin-Lacrosse
        Valparaiso
        Cal Davis - in Sioux Falls
        Cal Poly
        Southern Utah
        Missouri-Rolla (Hobo Day)
        Georgia Southern
        Northern Colorado - Possibly Sioux Falls

Comment

Per game could be tough, but if the issue is ticket revenue, the average could drop a lot and the overall revenue will still be way up because there are so many games.

Comment

Don't forget, though, that at least three of those teams will take checks home with them. That has to figure in the equation, although some of those checks might be smaller than the cost for SDSU to travel. Also keep in mind that money from basketball might be up this year due to the fact that SDSU is getting checks from some of the D1's they are playing in men's and women's hoop.

Comment

I talked to one of the HPER staff people before the game and he told me that tickets for the NDSU-SDSU women's game were selling real good, especially this week so lets see what happens. I asked if the purchasers were from NDSU or locally. They are locals.

I would agree with Mike in that SDSU basketball revenues are probably up as we did no doubt receive more guarentee money this year for traveling to the D1 opponents. From that standpoint revenue is up this year but on most of the home and home deals, we have to recipocate next year with cash payouts to SEMO and Manhattan and so forth. So next year, we need butts in the seat next year to offset these costs.

There is a piece in the Collegian that 2.5 million is being spent by the SDSU Foundation for Daktronics scoreboards for several sports, including basketball, football, baseball, softball, and swimming. I going to find and post the link as a new topic if no one else has not done that already.

Comment

Working...
              X