Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMKC @ Frost

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
    The point is, the same thing was said last year about Dale and Clint, and you know what, we are surviving just fine.
    I get what you are saying: But Dale and Clint do not combine up to equal Griff. Bold statement you say?
    Yes, I realize the season is not over:

Dale had 139 rebounds for the entire season last year, Griff has 110 and is averaging 1 more a game, he also has 27 steals compared to Dale's 20 for the entire last year. Dale had 17 blocks, Griff 4.
    Griff is shooting at higher percentage in 3's and FG's than Clint. His FT's are slightly weaker.
    Griff gives us the rebounding and toughness of Dale and the shooting of Clint in one player allowing us to put another good player on the floor.
    In short Griff is some sort of a super combi-player which I am dubbing Clale Callahan! I will miss him more than I ever will miss Clint, and I think I'll miss Dale more from the Football field than the court, though I did enjoy watching him play bball. But right now, I just want these guys to keep doing what they are doing, up to and including getting minutes for the underclassmen so we can critique what we don't like about them now. Hopefully the coaches will read our forum and adjust accordingly.
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

I wish we would have been playing this Fiegen - Dykstra frontcourt last year. Fiegen-Dykstra-Callahan-Sargent-Wolters with Moss as 6th man.
      I LOVE Griff's toughness, but he's never had that great size.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
        You are on crack. Our best rebounder, our 2nd best 3 pt shooter, 2nd best FT, close to the top in shooting percentage(in which he has way more attempts than the others),tied for most steals in one player. I think people underestimate just how important this ONE senior is, I hope these underclassmen work their tails off to hook him up with a nice invitation to go Dancing. He has a defensive toughness that is hard to replicate and I don't think I see it so much in the younger kids.P.S. Why the heck are we worried about next season? Why are you dreaming about tomorrow when we are winning today?http://www.gojacks.com/fls/15000/stats/2012_MBB/teamcume.htm
        Really on crack?? I hate that saying along with pass the joint one. People were saying the same thing last year about Dale and Clint. I wasnt taking a dig at Griff at all. He is an invaluable player on the team this year that will surely be missed due to his toughness and just his value to the team and yes hopefully he gets to experience a NCAA tourney. I was just stating that an older matured Wolters, Dykstra, Fiegen, White, Prince and the rest of the players will more than makeup for the loss of Griff.
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
          Of course, we will survive...and IMO, we are going to be an even better team next year. But the important point about Griff, is that we wouldn't be as good a team this year as we are, without the tremendous contribution he is making to this year's team. We WILL miss him, but I believe we will have a lot of players who will play at an even higher level next year.
          I think that's the distinction that needs to be made. We will be a better team next year not because we lose Griff, but we will be a better team despite losing Griff. I love watching him play basketball; he has a beautiful shot which one doesn't expect out of a scrapper/rebounder.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            I think that's the distinction that needs to be made. We will be a better team next year not because we lose Griff, but we will be a better team despite losing Griff. I love watching him play basketball; he has a beautiful shot which one doesn't expect out of a scrapper/rebounder.
            Exactly, Thank you.
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by Krow View Post
              I LOVE Griff's toughness, but he's never had that great size.
              If he had more size, he would been playing in the Big Ten or some higher level conference. I sat at the same table as Griff and Coach Nagy at the endowment banquet a year ago. Griff is a very non assuming young man and very humble guy. If there are any more Callahan's younger than Grif, they have Coach Nagy's telephone number. This why I have never missed an endowment banquet. Most of the student athletes are just young people with talents that most of us do not have.

BTW the way Griff's mother used to read this board and expressed appreciation many times to SDSU for giving their sons a chance. The tone of this thread will surely be a turn off. I wonder how Witness parents would react to reading crap like this?

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                Really on crack?? I hate that saying along with pass the joint one. People were saying the same thing last year about Dale and Clint. I wasnt taking a dig at Griff at all. He is an invaluable player on the team this year that will surely be missed due to his toughness and just his value to the team and yes hopefully he gets to experience a NCAA tourney. I was just stating that an older matured Wolters, Dykstra, Fiegen, White, Prince and the rest of the players will more than makeup for the loss of Griff.
                Yes really, you dont know what you are talking about for starters. Think about what you originally said. It can only be taken as an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  If he had more size, he would been playing in the Big Ten or some higher level conference.
                  Something strange is going on here Nidaros. This is the second time in less than a week that we are agreeing.

Griff is the last of the transitional players, he came to the program during its darkest hours, and I really appreciate that. I think back on all the players who didn't have the heart to stick things out, guys with all the talent and physical gifts in the world. They couldn't hold a candle to what Griff means and will mean to this program for years to come.

I, for one, will remember Griff for a long time.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                    Bingo.Players come and go. I admit to thinking we would miss Dale and Clint ,but we have seen very good improvement in the returning players. That's how good program should work,a seemless transition of players from year to year. The exception to that rule will be when Nate leaves. He WILL be missed.

Comment

While it may be fun to speculate how the comings and goings of players affect a team, I think we all may be taking it a tad too seriously. Let us not forget that Oakland was supposed to win the conference this year and Western Illinois was supposed to be in the bottom tier.......it hasn't quite panned out that way so far. Chemistry is virtually impossible to determine yet somehow most of seem to think we have figured out the equation.

If I am not mistaken, we were supposed to take a step backwards defensively after Dale graduated yet somehow we have taken a step forward. One would assume this same group of players that progressed this season will continue to progress next season. All I know is that I am glad that we only have to replace the intangibles of one very solid senior rather than that of 4 or 5!!

Comment

He is a battler and a guy you can consistently count on to do very important "dirty work". That will be hard to replace. It won't be impossible though. Some players make big improvements from year to year. Look at Carlson. How many of us saw his giant leap forward coming? Chances are good that someone else who is spending most of this year on the bench will be big next year. I definitely like Griffen's style though. A good team needs a guy like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          If he had more size, he would been playing in the Big Ten or some higher level conference. I sat at the same table as Griff and Coach Nagy at the endowment banquet a year ago. Griff is a very non assuming young man and very humble guy. If there are any more Callahan's younger than Grif, they have Coach Nagy's telephone number. This why I have never missed an endowment banquet. Most of the student athletes are just young people with talents that most of us do not have.

BTW the way Griff's mother used to read this board and expressed appreciation many times to SDSU for giving their sons a chance. The tone of this thread will surely be a turn off. I wonder how Witness parents would react to reading crap like this?
                          Ok real cool. I'm not trying to start a beef with you or Griff yet you seen to think I am! When have I took a dig at him? I have stated that he is a great player that will surely be missed and is an invaluable part to the team this year and we wouldnt be nearly as good of a team THIS year without him. I was just stating how excited I was to see the growth of the players for next year. I don't think that it would bother my parents if somebody said that he is great player that will be missed but his teammates will me matured enough next year to be good despite the loss of him not because of him.

Comment

Ok real cool. I'm not trying to start a beef with you or Griff yet you seen to think I am! When have I took a dig at him? I have stated that he is a great player that will surely be missed and is an invaluable part to the team this year and we wouldnt be nearly as good of a team THIS year without him. I was just stating how excited I was to see the growth of the players for next year. I don't think that it would bother my parents if somebody said that he is great player that will be missed but his teammates will me matured enough next year to be good despite the loss of him not because of him.
                            I'm with you on this one witness - you've been very complimentary to Griff as a person and player. The point is that the program gets better every year because we have gone from having 5 or 6 players with experience that the coach is comfortable giving extended minutes to,to a situation next season where I think there will be 8 or 9 experienced players that will be good enough to earn extended playing time. You add in the big man from Wasilla,and hopefully another recruit or two and I think the potential gets greater every year. Thinking that way doesn't mean that this year's team isn't appreciated or that this season isn't being enjoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              I'm with you on this one witness - you've been very complimentary to Griff as a person and player. The point is that the program gets better every year because we have gone from having 5 or 6 players with experience that the coach is comfortable giving extended minutes to,to a situation next season where I think there will be 8 or 9 experienced players that will be good enough to earn extended playing time. You add in the big man from Wasilla,and hopefully another recruit or two and I think the potential gets greater every year. Thinking that way doesn't mean that this year's team isn't appreciated or that this season isn't being enjoyed.
                              Thanks man. I appreciate it. You worded what I was trying to say perfectly. I guess I should have worded my first statement differently but o well. I am just excited next year and thinking whats ahead next year but that doesn't mean that I'm not excited this year, because this year is very intriguing to me just as much. Just stating something I felt was the truth and didn't think some people would jump all over me. I just couldn't believe somebody was questioning my loyalty or taking a shot at one of the players. As the Jacks grow further and further into D1, teams will be better even if we lose great players. That doesn't mean that they weren't good players it just means that the team as a whole is getting better and can make up for the loss of great player like Griff.

Comment

Your first post where you said the team next year would be better off with out Griff. How else do you interpretate that other than its a dig? You very conveniently back peddled away from that statement when Theee Cat rabbit appropriately accused you of being on crack as I did. Maybe more students should be subject to drug testing.

Comment

Working...
                                X