Morningside College Tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Morningside College Tonight

Nagy said what what many of us are thinking "this is about as low as you can get". The shooting was atrocious but to get outrebounded by a team that did not start a player over 6'6. I think we can handle defeat as long as we put it out there on floor. It seems we clearly did not give that kind of effort tonight. We are not good enough to just show up even at home!

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
      Glass half full:

Several promising young players. Great coach. In a couple of years we'll have a good laugh about this.

I remember years ago, when I was a kid, watching the Jacks lose to Huron College. And this too shall pass.
      I remember times when Huron College had some great teams. That being said, this team has some serious head problems.

Comment

The thing that disappoints me is that I drive all the way from Sioux Falls for games and we don't put forth full effort. I also know we aren't that good this year but I only wish we would have shown a little more effort against Morningside. Sometimes effort can be a little hard to tell but we seemed to be getting out rebounded all night by a team that wasn't very tall. Rebounding takes some determination like we had against umkc. Where did it all go from monday to wednesday nite. I enjoy the games but it is getting harder to come an hour for games if we aren't going to give full effort. I can accept losses if we try hard. The only good thing about all this is that Coach Nagy can tell future recruits if you are any good at all you can start right away or at least get a lot of playing time. Maybe that will convince some good players to come our way. I knew we were going to take some lumps this year but I thought we would run the table against d2 and naia teams or at least only lose one game. This hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by sdman
          The thing that disappoints me is that I drive all the way from Sioux Falls for games and we don't put forth full effort.  I also know we aren't that good this year but I only wish we would have shown a little more effort against Morningside.  Sometimes effort can be a little hard to tell but we seemed to be getting out rebounded all night by a team that wasn't very tall. Rebounding takes some determination like we had against umkc.  Where did it all go from monday to wednesday nite. I enjoy the games but it is getting harder to come an hour for games if we aren't going to give full effort.  I can accept losses if we try hard.  The only good thing about all this is that Coach Nagy can tell future recruits if you are any good at all you can start right away or at least get a lot of playing time.  Maybe that will convince some good players to come our way.  I knew we were going to take some lumps this year but I thought we would run the table against d2 and naia teams or at least only lose one game.  This hurts.
          Sioux Falls would have been a short drive and a piece of cake for me, but I traveled from another direction of 200 plus miles away because I thought the guys had turned the corner and were going to show sometime tonight that would once again fill the stands.

I believe Coach Nagy hit the nail on the head when he told the players they could not wait until the last 10 minutes to start playing basketball. Morningside is not bad at their level and their conference, but if the first 30 minutes had been played like the last 10, then Morningside would have lost by at least 20 points.

I do think that scheduling played a big part here as playing 3 games in a 5 day span is harder than the old Friday-Saturday back to back from previous years. Coach said he had little time to get them ready. Our guys did not come out fresh, but I think the humilation was starting to set in the second half and may have been the driving force.

I see the three seniors getting more bench time as we have nothing to gain by playing these guys. Its the young guys who should be playing the bulk of the remainder of the season. I am tired of Luke Giever missing three pointers and Hokenson seems to be kind of coasting along. DeJong appears to have not made a whole bunch of extra trips to the weight room, and heavens to betsy we can be certain he stayed away from steriods. I am just disappointed Jared did not develope his body more over his career. He could have been one of our all time greats if that was his goal.

I wonder as does Coach Nagy, "How many times do these bad games have to happen in order for these young guys to learn a lesson?" I am lost for additional words. ???

Comment

Embarassing for all SDSU fans, alumni, coaches and players. Only positive, this has to be the nadir. Things can't get any worse, can they?
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDak

I remember times when Huron College had some great teams.  That being said, this team has some serious head problems.  
              Seriously, should we lose to Huron College, ever? All I remember (I think it was the mid-1970s) was the die-hard fans around my Dad's seats were as disgusted as I ever saw them.

Comment

Back in the late 70's and early 80's Huron College was awesome, Definetly not a Morningside type team.

Comment

Granted 200 miles is a much bigger commitment - an hour drive up 29 just irritates me if we aren't going to put out maximum effort. I expected to get beat by all our d1 opponents and any victory or close game is really appreciated by this fan. What I don't appreciate is just laying down for our naia opponents and getting beat. That is really disappointing. Two months ago I thought we would be beginning our journey into the big sky conference and now we get beat by a GPAC school. We have had some nice highs so far this year with fb and the women but can it get much worse than this? Maybe I am being too negative but one had to be there to believe what we fans at the game saw. It was not pretty.

Comment

I would have to agree that it seems the players have given up.  What concerns me the most is that it seems to me coach Nagy has also given up.  Last night I believe he only got vocal and stood up off the bench once during the game (Unless a time-out was called).   He seems that he has lost his fire and passion.  

So, I suppose that is all we can expect from our players.

What also concerns me is that these are players that have a few years to come....I don't understand why they would be content in not going out every night and playing to "Win".   Or Nagy coaching to "Win"?

Just my .02

P.S. Can't hardly wait for the 2005-06 Equestrian Season

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
                      Back in the late 70's and early 80's Huron College was awesome,  Definetly not a Morningside type team.
                      For the record, it was 1973 and we lost to Huron 87-81. It was Jim Marking's last year. I think Huron's "awesome" teams were a few years later.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU/BHS-FAN
                        I would have to agree that it seems the players have given up.  What concerns me the most is that it seems to me coach Nagy has also given up.  Last night I believe he only got vocal and stood up off the bench once during the game (Unless a time-out was called).   He seems that he has lost his fire and passion.  

So, I suppose that is all we can expect from our players.

What also concerns me is that these are players that have a few years to come....I don't understand why they would be content in not going out every night and playing to "Win".   Or Nagy coaching to "Win"?

Just my .02

P.S.  Can't hardly wait for the 2005-06 Equestrian Season

Wow, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I don't believe you could be more wrong about Coach Nagy and his will to win.  Of course you have also posted that you miss Big Jake's and Maverick's insight. Soooooo . . .  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Nagy hasn't given up on anything!! I don't believe the players have cashed it in either.

From where I sat, I can tell you the players were giving it everything they had. Nagy was coaching the entire game and the team played hard. The problem is that playing hard and playing well are two very different things. The bottom line appeared to be one team playing loose and one team playing very tight.

It's the old adage: The harder I try, the worse it gets.

GO JACKS
                          Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

I wasn't at the game last night, it doesn't sound like I missed much. Does anyone know what the attendance was?

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU16

Nagy was coaching the entire game and the team played hard.   

Unless Nagy has changed his coaching style. He didn't seem to be his normal-self. As far as the players Rebounding, which they do poorly. Nagy teams have always hit the boards hard because they work hard. This time we were out rebounded by a team that is less talented than SDSU IMO. If SDSU was the less talented team then where has our recruiting gone?

I would like to think that SDSU would be able to get 5 players better than what Morningside has, just by name or walking on to SDSU. If that's not the case patience is an understatement.

Take it as you want--

Also,
                              I was planning on taking in a successful BB game and man was I surprised!

At least I only drove about 1 1/2 mi. (Sorry SDSUFAN)

Comment

Unfortunately I have to agree with SDSU/BHS.
                                I don't think Coach Nagy is giving up by any means but it did look as if him and coach larson were fairly reserved last night. It may have been a result of being frustrated early and thinking "here we go again" as we were down twenty in the first half. I think sometimes as a coach there is not much more you can do and leaving it up to the players may actually help. i got the impression last night that coach was saying "it's your game go and do what you want with it". It's probably not all bad. The players definately need to take responsibility.

Like Rabbit in Verm said, man is it fun coaching from a computer.
                                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Working...
                                X