No announcement yet.

Oakland: Biggest home game in D-1 era?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Oakland: Biggest home game in D-1 era?

Great Win. Great Game. Great atmosphere. It was awesome to have Frost feel like Frost again!

I pretty much agree with everything most people have said in here.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned.... Griff is an important player on this team. He is just a grinder, a worker. I really enjoy watching him play. Always seems to be in help position on defense, comes up with so many boards that someone his size shouldn't. Just a pleasure to watch him.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
      The NCC teams fan bases usually could add quite a few more than the Summit fan bases.
      Back in the NCC days, a great deal of seating was bleachers which usually allowed more butts in the seats. With the back chair seating more room is needed and that is about the best explantion for the decrease to 6500 from 9500. Its hard to believe that these chair gobbled up that much space.

Also a good sign of a good crowd is number of people jocking for parking spots in the parking lot east of Frost. A bunch of cars entering is usually a sign of a 4000 crowd. I noticed that in the two games I have been able to attend, UND and Oakland.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
        3800 minus the students is a good sign. If this team keeps winning I think we may actually be able to pull the students away from the books/computer games for a few hours this year filling Frost with some serious noise. Could we finally see Frost getting back to what it was like in the "good old days"?
        Ahhhhhhhh...The Barn! Now THAT was the "Good Old Days"!
        When you put on that jersey, the name on the front is more important than the name on the back.

Comment

Originally posted by 67jack View Post
          Yup.
          An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
          US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

ahhhhhhhh...the barn! Now that was the "good old days"!
            double yup. They held the Foundation banquet there in the Barn a few years back. The floor has really went down hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              double yup. They held the Foundation banquet there in the Barn a few years back. The floor has really went down hill.
              and our womens team practices there at times according to AJ. might explain some things.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                and our womens team practices there at times according to AJ. might explain some things.
                Maybe to get ready to play @ UMKC or IUPUI

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                  Explain what?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesJacks View Post
                    Explain what?
                    why they were having such problems with the shooting and turnovers. practice where you play

Comment

Saw one game in there as a child. It was approximately 431 degrees and I remember being terrified of some of the students.

Comment

Just in case some readers may think NovaJack is some sort of youngster: I have it on good authority that NovaJack was a freshman when SDSU played about one half of the basketball season in the Barn and then moved to the new Frost Arena for the second half (1972-73).

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          Just in case some readers may think NovaJack is some sort of youngster: I have it on good authority that NovaJack was a freshman when SDSU played about one half of the basketball season in the Barn and then moved to the new Frost Arena for the second half (1972-73).
                          Better check your authority. Was not at SDSU in 72-73 school year.

Comment

I stand corrected.

When did you arrive at State? (It was a vintage year: 3.2 beer legal for 18 year olds starting 7/1/72 and the "old" Horts was alive and well.)

And it was 431 degrees in the Barn and some of the students were scarey. I worked in the press "box" which was suspended from the "roof" above the south bleachers. It was 450 degrees in the "box". When Frost opened in second semester that year, it seemed to be an empty, sterile environment and Coach Marking at one point quipped that if it didn't liven up in there, we'd be back in the Barn.

Comment

I stand corrected.

When did you arrive at State? (It was a vintage year: 3.2 beer legal for 18 year olds starting 7/1/72 and the "old" Horts was alive and well.)

And it was 431 degrees in the Barn and some of the students were scarey. I worked in the press "box" which was suspended from the "roof" above the south bleachers. It was 450 degrees in the "box". When Frost opened in second semester that year, it seemed to be an empty, sterile environment and Coach Marking at one point quipped that if it didn't liven up in there, we'd be back in the Barn.
                              Fall of 73, Frost still had that new-arena smell.

Comment

I stand corrected.

used to listen to them on the radio as a kid... Denny Wolmeldorf and Lee Coburn and the Thomas boys....

Comment

Working...
                                X