Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timberwolves Gatorade Shootout

Timberwolves Gatorade Shootout Preview

Saturday the eighth Gatorade Timberwolves Shootout takes place at the Target Center tipping-off at 11 am and ending with the final game starting at 7 pm. This event annually involves some of the state's top programs matching-up against top teams from around the country. This year, five talented Minnesota schools will pair up with squads from Wisconsin, Iowa, South Dakota and California.

Johnson and Duluth East are currently ranked 7th in Minnesota
    Duluth East (MN) vs. Randolph (WI) 11:00 am tip

Randolph, coached by Bob Haffele, is 10-0 and they are three-time defending Division 4 state champions. Just ten days ago, Haffele picked up his 300th win with a 48-31 victory over Cambria-Friesland. The Rockets have won 57 straight games and are led by the Tillema brothers and the older, Ryan, will be headed to Wisconsin-Green Bay next year.

Ryan Tillema is a returning first team All-State pick and the 6-foot-8 forward can play all frontcourt positions. He averaged 19.1 points per game as a junior and he leads his team with a smooth shooting stroke (on www.wishoops.net his average for the year is at 15.8 points per game but only a handful of his contests have been recorded). His brother Dan, a 6-foot-4 sophomore forward, also starts in the frontcourt and is a capable double figure scorer. Haffele is known as a great fundamental coach and his teams play very disciplined basketball.

They will match-up with the seventh ranked class 4A team in the state of Minnesota and that is the Duluth East Greyhounds who are 13-3 on the year. East is a team dominated by juniors as 6-foot-8 senior Jared Sodahl is the only senior on the roster. Between Jared, 6-foot-6 junior Ben Heggestad and 6-foot-7 junior Cory Johnson, East will throw some size on the floor and you can expect Johnson to match-up with Tillema on the defensive end. Corey, 6-foot-7 213 pounds, is a hard working forward who leads his team by example with his hard nosed play. He's currently ranked as the 118th best junior in the country and has offers from Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota and Marquette.

Gentry leads his East team in scoring
    Richfield (MN) vs. Sioux City East (IA) 1:00 pm scheduled tip

After losing a tough Classic Suburban battle to Tartan by a late three free throw this past Tuesday, the 10-3 Richfield Spartans (who have lost to Gatorade Shootout teams Tartan, St. Thomas and Braham) are now ranked seventh among class 3A schools and are looking for a victory to get back on the winning track. The Jim Dimick coached Spartans are led by a pair of athletic swingmen who are both headed to division one schools. First is Travis Brown, a 6-foot-4 wing who is one of Minnesota's best defenders. Travis currently leads Richfield in scoring with19.9 points a game and is headed to Northern Iowa next year. The other wing is Bradley commit Ray Brown, a lanky athletic forward who has good range on his jumper and a smooth first step going to the basket. This 6-foot-6 guard has scored three fewer points than Travis this year averaging 19.7 points a game. Add in the strong Bill Bauman in the frontcourt and heady junior Dustin Driefke running the point and you have a team capable of playing with anybody.

The second ranked team in Iowa's class 4A is Sioux City East and they are currently undefeated this season. They are led by one of the top juniors in the state and his name is Roman Gentry. Roman is a 6-foot-4 junior guard who weighs 180 pounds and is a great athlete. Gentry paces East with a 20.5 points per game average along with grabbing 11.6 rebounds, while 6-4 senior Dan Bohall is scoring at a rate of 19.9 points a game. The two are not the only guys on this team who can score as East has a number of players who can light it up from outside. It was the team defense that has needed work coming into the year but thus far they have definitely became better as they have yet to lose a game this year.

Re: Timberwolves Gatorade Shootout

Webster will take on his former Howard Pulley teammate Joe Krabbenhoft
    St. Thomas Academy (MN) vs. Sioux Falls Roosevelt (SD) 3:00 pm scheduled tip

The Cadets of St. Thomas are a team that plays a lot of young guys and they have had some ups and downs early in this year going 8-7. They played up to their potential in a win over Richfield two weeks ago but have also lost to a few teams they feel they should have beaten. Their 6-foot-9 245 pound center Bryce Webster is ranked as the 72nd best junior in the country and is now averaging 19.1 points a game. He has received offers from a great number of programs including his favorites Marquette, Arizona and Kansas. Two more juniors have been playing well as shooting guard David Hicks is scoring 16.4 points a game utilizing his streaky long range jumper and wing Darrius Redd recently had a season high with 23 points against Mahtomedi. Redd is averaging just under ten points a night.

Sioux Falls Roosevelt is 9-2 and recently beat Sioux Falls Washington 59-38 as Joe Krabbenhoft scored 25 points and grabbed 14 rebounds. In a recent contest against another one of South Dakota's best teams, Krabbenhoft scored 16 points and grabbed 14 boards as his second-ranked Rough Riders crushed the fifth ranked Rapid City Stevens team 67-38. They both play in class 2A in South Dakota. Joe committed to Wisconsin some time ago and is ranked by Rivals as the 17th best senior in the entire country. He is a very versatile player who has played everywhere from the point guard spot to the center position. Joe can handle the ball, he sees the entire floor, is able to penetrate and can knock down the perimeter jumper.

Rivals.com

Jesse Woodard leads Compton Centennial from the point position
    Braham (MN) vs. Compton Centennial (CA) 5:00 pm scheduled tip

Robert Vaughan's Braham Bombers are currently the number one ranked team in Minnesota's class 2A, they are defending state champs and are the ninth ranked team in the Midwest by USA Today. They have maybe the state's best player in 6-foot-6 175 pound junior wing Isaiah Dahlman as he is ranked the 34th best player in his class of 2006. He recently led his team to the Bethel Holiday Tournament title which is a Holiday gathering of the state's best. In the title game Isaiah scored 25 points against the second ranked North Polars as they blew them out 71-56 in a game that wasn't that close. Isaiah is one of the smoother players in the country as he has good quickness and great body control that allows him to hang in the air, absorb contact and still finish whether he's within four or fourteen feet of the basket. Isaiah has offers from most of the country's best programs including Arizona, Michigan State, Iowa, Minnesota and many others. But he's not the only player is his brother Noah Dahlman is a sophomore who can also score and is tough inside. Wing Caleb Flynn is one of the best shooters in the state of Minnesota and the coach's son Josh Vaughan is the leader of this crew on the floor. He has accepted a scholarship to North Dakota State because he's a great shooter, passer and an outstanding floor general.

Braham will face one of their tougher tests of the year as one of the best programs right now on the west comes to the Target Center. Compton Centennial is right now 15-5 and they are led by 5-foot-11, four star sophomore point guard Jesse Woodard. Woodard is a solid ball handler who is a fantastic floor general at a young age. Jesse is a team first type of player that also has deep range and he will not hesitate to shoot when left open. Two juniors also headline this team and the first is small forward Jervaugn Johnson. Johnson, 6-foot-6 215 pounds, is a strong kid who is a great athlete and he really attacks the basket with or without the ball. Another junior is 6-foot-3 180 pound shooting guard Tyre Thompson who is ranked as the 103rd best senior in the class of 2006. Thompson is a pure shooter who has received a lot of early attention from most the schools on the west coast.

Comment

Cont:

Wes Matthews Jr. is headed to Marquette next year
      Tartan (MN) vs. Madison Memorial (WI) 7:00 scheduled tip

Tartan, 13-2, is one of the state's hotter teams as they have moved up in the state rankings to number four. Urule Igbavboa, a 6-foot-8 210 pound forward who committed to Valparaiso this summer, is the team's scoring leader at 17.3 points a game. Their point guard Kwadzo Ahelegbe is one of the state's best defenders and he scores nine points a game while doing a quality job of running a potent Titan offense. Senior wingman Abe Kpaka and junior post Lamont Mack offer two more scoring options as they average 11.3 and 9.9 points a game respectively.

Facing the Titans will be Madison Memorial, a team that lost in the Wisconsin state title game last year and currently have a 10-1 record. Leading them is four star Marquette commit Wes Matthews Jr.. Matthews, a 6-foot-4 195 pound shooting guard, is ranked as the 86th best senior in the country. Matthews is a strong-bodied guard who has the versatility to play numerous positions at Marquette has he is a strong kid who can score around the bucket but can also hit from the perimeter. Last year he averaged 16 points, 8 rebounds, and 4 assists per game playing with 2004's Mr. Basketball in Wisconsin Michael Nelson who is now at North Dakota State. Along with Wes, Madison has another young prospect who has caught the attention of Wisconsin, Marquette, Minnesota and many others early in his career. His name is Keaton Nankivil, a five star sophomore center prospect who is currently ranked as the 11th best sophomore in the country at 6-foot-8 and 230 pounds. Keaton already has offers from Wisconsin, Marquette, Washington State and Iowa.

Comment

Does anyone know the scoop on NDSU's fab five they have riding the pine this year up in FARGO. Are the the real deal or what? With this Vaughn kid coming in next year it sounds as if they could have some nice young talent to work with.
        Where are they at in terms of the recruits that we are bringin in.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

It appears on paper the Bison have recruited well in Minnesota the last two years. Whether these guys are DI calibre is another question. I'm anxious to see Cadwell and Gilbert on the court next year and it will be interesting to see if  the Jacks will redshirt the two incoming 6'10 freshman from Minnesota. There are a number of top recruits playing in the shootout. The two guys from Sioux City East,  Gentry and Bohall are averaging over 20 points a game. Bohall is a senior and Gentry a junior are drawing a lot of interest. I know the Jacks have been reported to be persuing Roman Gentry who is that slashing 6'4 athletic guard/forward we need and Bohall can shoot the lights out. Gentry sounds like a guy USD had a number of years ago from Sioux City (Tim Hatchett). I also have seen 6'7 junior Anthony Cordova from Roosevelt and he may be capturing the attention of the Jacks and others. Good opportunity for Jacks fans in the Cities to see some players who may be playing in Brookings in the future.

Comment

Do you know if Caldwell or Gilbert had offers elsewhere before they commited to SDSU? I thought i heard that Caldwell was considering Baseball as well. I know Gilbert was a late signing, was he looking somewhere else.

Did any of NDSU's recruits have other D1 offers?
            Or did the two big boys we are getting next year have any other interest?
            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

My boss happens to be best friends with Bruce Pearl, head coach of UWMilwaukee. From what Pearl said, last year's Mr. Basketball from WI was a good player but did not receive much interest from the DI schools in Wisconsin. Marquette, Madison and UWM did not offer him a ride. His quickness was questioned somewhat for the D1 level, but he has great basketball skills.
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I know Cadwell had some options in Baseball and was considered one of the best all around athletes in the metro as he was a star in baseball,basketball and football at Cretin Derham Hall. Gilbert was being persued by UNI at one time. Both players are very well respected in the Twin Cities and hopefully are helping us recruit some of the vast number of good ballplayers in the Cities. I'm not sure who else was recruiting Josh Vaughn before he committed to NDSU. I don't believe any of the other NDSU recruits from Minnesota had other DI options. We are just not going to get the blue chip recruits. The players we are able to land will be better than what we have recruited in the past but will have some area they need improvement.They might be undersized or need to bulk up or lack some quickness. Sometimes other area DI schools like Minnesota and UNI,Iowa may have already filled a need at a particular area and there is another good prospect in the state who is looking for a school closer to home like SDSU. I think we can provide good players the opportunity to play right away which other schools may not be able to do. The key is we have Coach Nagy and Larson to develop these players.

Comment

Do you know if Caldwell or Gilbert had offers elsewhere before they commited to SDSU? I thought i heard that Caldwell was considering Baseball as well. I know Gilbert was a late signing, was he looking somewhere else.
                  I've heard that Gilbert was offered by New Mexico, UNI, Wisconsin-Green Bay and us. Not sure about Caldwell.

Comment

I'm anxious to see how Sioux Falls Roosevelt's other big man 6'7 junior Anthony Cordova does against the stiff competition at the Target Center this weekend. I wonder if this transfer from California is getting some looks by Nagy and Company. He is a big mature body with good fluid moves.

Comment

I got a chance to see a few of the games at Target Center for the Gatorade Shootout. I was extremely impressed with Dan Bohall the 6'4 guard from Sioux City East who held his own against Travis Brown who is headed to UNI and Ray Brown who is going to Bradley. He moves without the ball well, good shooter and can drive to the hoop. Deceptively quick on the defensive end. He is a bigger version of Brian Norberg with more athletic skills. Had I believe 23 points against one of the best schools in Minnesota Richfield. Roman Gentry did not have one of his better games but you could easily see he has the game to play at the DI level....Very good jumper and can really rebound and get to the hoop. Would love to see both of these guys in a Jacks uniform. Sioux City East is the #1 team in Iowa in 4A. Roosevelt played St Thomas Academy who has 6'10 junior Bryce Webster. He is a handful but thought Anthony Cordova played him pretty well. I think Cordova will continue to improve and will play DI somewhere. Maybe the Jacks can get to him early. Krabenhoft just took over the game in the final minutes and had the crowd gasping with his ball handling abilities and ability to drive to the hoop. I can see why he is a five star recruit and will do well at Wisconsin. Roosevelt won by one with a Krabenhoft hoop and freethrow with 9 seconds left.

The third game featured Braham (Minnesota) against Compton California. It is hard not to be impressed with Isaiah Dahlman of Braham who at 6'7 is smooth with the ball and has a great jumpshot. He is the most sought after player in Minnesota and evidently had Coach Izzo from Michigan State at his home last week. Josh Vaughan the NDSU recruit from Braham is a solid ball handler and while off from the field that day you can tell he is capable of lighting it up. Difficult when you have a teamate like Dahlman who is looking to score on most every position. I still would take Bohall over Vaughan. Great talent at this event. Lots of college coaches there. I'm sure the Jacks would have had someone there if not for their game in Arkansas.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                        I'm anxious to see how Sioux Falls Roosevelt's other big man 6'7 junior Anthony Cordova does against the stiff competition at the Target Center this weekend. I wonder if this transfer from California is getting some looks by Nagy and Company. He is a big mature body with good fluid moves.
                        I know Cordova's coach thinks he'll be a stud someday soon. Considering that as early as this summer Cordova wouldn't know the difference between a drop-step and a two-step, he's already come a long ways. If he grows into his body and gets some strength in his trunk area, he'll be a great get for a college team. And, that 6'7" may grow into a 6'8" or 6'9". I think SDSU is keeping a close watch on him. I just wonder if the pundits will consider him a "home grown" kid since he transferred from Cali. You know, since we won't recruit in state kids anymore.
                        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I did some more digging in Iowa Preps and Sioux City East standouts Dan Bohall and Roman Gentry both list SDSU along with other regional DI schools as colleges recruiting them. Bohall graduates this year and Gentry next year. I'm sure Troy is staying in close touch with both.

Comment

Working...
                          X