67-57

Comment

Re: Men vs Winona State

SDSU 70
              Winona State 59
              finial

Comment

70-59, Final. Pretty ragged at the end (as ragged as Steve Imming's voice) . . .
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Wow Live stats kind of fun to watch

70-59 and Steve Emming's voice is nearly gone so
                  how he recovers quickly.

six wins wow.

Comment

Nagy Notes:

Steve, you sound worse than me!

If we could shoot free throws we'd have put the game away much earlier. Struggle in the second half. Ton of guys played well, Joe, Brady played as good as I've seen in a while. Jared De Jong - as good as he's played in a while.

Winona's a very good offensive team, we hold them to 59. Surprised they didn't come out in a zone start of second half.

Sometimes our players do things they haven't been coached to do, they try hard though. Steve H. struggling from the line, but very active, committed to playing harder, starting to show in his game.

Time for us to make a good run, finish strong at home for the seniors. Good start. Winona on paper best of the three we play at home. Got our first dunk of the year tonight. Bench was excited about that.

Tomorrow, take the day off, lift, watch some film, come back Thu and Fri go hard but short to be ready to go Saturday. We're past Arkansas State now.

OK, Steve . . .
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

1st Dunk of the year??? Oh my

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                        1st Dunk of the year???  Oh my
                        All I could do was shake my head when I read that. It pretty much says it all.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

02/01/2005
                          Jacks Outlast Winona State 70-59

BROOKINGS, SD - South Dakota State had four players score in double figures as the Jackrabbits defeated Winona State 70-59 in men’s basketball Tuesday night at Frost Arena.

Freshman Steve Holdren led the way with 17 points while Ben Beran added 12, Luke Geiver 10 and Michael Loney 10.

The Jacks opened a sizeable lead in each half only to see the Warriors rally.

Winona opened the game with a dunk by John Smith before Zach Malvik hit a three-pointer followed by a deuce, and WSU had a 7-3 lead. With Winona still on top 17-14, SDSU went on a 14-0 run taking a 28-17 lead on a basket by Beran with 9:14 to play. And the Jacks pushed the margin to 33-19 on a Holdren three-pointer with 4:34 to go.

Then WSU rallied, closing within 36-32 at halftime and 38-36 when Malvik hit a layup three minutes into the second half. Again, SDSU launched a 14-0 run, this time going ahead 52-36 on a free throw by Joe Green with 11:04 to play.

From that point on SDSU had just two field goals, and while they struggled through a 4-for-13 stretch at the foul line, finished the game by making their last 12 points at the line. Geiver’s jump shot from the left wing with 4:03 to play was SDSU’s last field goal, giving SDSU a 58-51 lead.

David Zellmann led Winona with 16 points while Malvik finished with 14.

SDSU shot 50 per cent in the first half (14x28 ) and finished the game at 47.9 per cent while Winona shot 34.5 per cent including a cold 6-for-25, 24 per cent, in the second half. SDSU had a 37-33 rebounding advantage.

The Jacks, now 6-14 overall, will host Upper Iowa Saturday in the middle game of a three-game home stand.

Winona dropped to 14-9 overall and will return to Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference action Saturday at Concordia-St. Paul.

South Dakota State 70, Winona State 59
                          Winona State (14-9)
                          John Smith 3-5 3-6 9, Zach Malvik 5-11 2-2 14, Jonte Flowers 1-4 2-2 4, David Zellmann 5-18 5-5 16, Jon Urbach 1-5 2-2 4, Curtrel Robinson 1-3 0-0 2, Brent Riese 0-1 0-0 0, Brandon Stromer 2-2 0-1 4, Joe Ingvalson 1-1 0-0 2, Ryan Gargaro 0-0 0-0 0, Chad Barfknecht 0-5 4-4 4. Totals 19-55 18-22 59.

South Dakota State (6-14)
                          Steve Holdren 5-12 5-10 17, Joe Green 2-6 3-4 7, Ben Beran 5-10 2-2 12, Luke Geiver 3-6 3-4 10, Brady Hokenson 0-1 4-8 4, Mackenzie Casey 0-0 0-0 0, Andy Kleinjan 0-1 3-4 3, Jared DeJong 3-3 1-2 7, Michael Loney 5-9 0-1 10. Totals 23-48 21-35 70.

Halftime: SDSU 36, WSU 32.

FG% - WSU .345, SDSU .479. 3pt-FG - WSU 3-22 (Malvik 2-6, Zellmann 1-7, Flowers 0-1, Riese 0-1, Robinson 0-2, Urbach 0-2, Barfknecht 0-3), SDSU 3-8 (Holdren 2-3, Geiver 1-2, Green 0-1, Hokenson 0-1, Kleinjan 0-1). Rebounds - WSU 33 (Smith 6), SDSU 37 (Green 9, Holdren 8 ). Fouls - WSU 28, SDSU 21. Fouled out - WSU Flowers, Urbach. Assists - WSU 14 (Flowers 4), SDSU 16 (Hokenson 7). Steals - WSU 13 (Flowers 4), SDSU 14 (Holdren 5). Blocked shots - WSU 1 (Smith), SDSU 0. Turnovers - WSU 21, SDSU 18. Attendance - 1,109.

Comment

Story from the Winona paper:

http://www.winonadailynews.com/artic...rts/00lead.txt

WSU can't climb out

By The Winona Daily News

BROOKINGS, S.D. — Twice the Winona State University men's basketball team rallied from behind to make it close, but the Warriors couldn't get over the hump in a 70-59 nonconference loss to Division I South Dakota State University Tuesday at Frost Arena.

"We got ourselves in a hole in the first half, but we rallied back before halftime," WSU coach Mike Leaf said, "but they continued to get the ball inside on us and got easy baskets." . . .

SDSU led by 14 with 4 minutes, 34 seconds to go in the first half, but Winona State battled back to make it a four-point game at the half.

The Jackrabbits ruined the comeback hopes with a 16-4 run to open the second half, putting WSU down 52-36 with 11:04 on the clock.

The Warriors cut it to five with two minutes to go, but SDSU hit free throws to ice the game.

"This was a tough ball game against a tough team," Leaf said.

"Their record isn't the best, but that is because of the competition they face.

"For now, we are still in the conference race, and we gotta go out and get a win this weekend."

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                              "Their record isn't the best, but that is because of the competition they face.
                              Minus the 2 Wayne St. teams and Morningside he is dead on here.
                              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                              X