Bringin' it home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bringin' it home

Coach Nagy has had a hard season and the toll has taken a lot out of him, but he still teaches and is intense with the kids. He is one of the best coaches around, and with the hard work the red shirts are doing things look bright. SDSUfan your right the cheering squad needs to be cheering on both sides, but I dont know if that will happen. The school has a lot of control over them. Unlike other schools the cheer squads cannot perform to there potential with stunts and are only limited to the things that are seen at the games. A fan last year complained that there stunts were dangerous so the school set a height limit. I know the students love the stunts, it gets them going. The medical staff might get a little nervous, but they are willing to help if needed. SDSUfan I hope you can come and see one more home game before the season is over.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
      Predictions for the rest of this year in men's basketball (viewed through yellow and blue glasses, of course):
      Upper Iowa - Win
      SW Minnesota - Win (close)
      Colorado - Loss
      PR-Rio Piedras - Win
      Central State or NDSU - Win
      NIT (no, not the big one) Championship - Win
      Central Florida - Loss
      at NDSU - Loss
      Final record:  11-17

If we run the table we finish at 14-14.

NDSU is winnable.  Might depend if we play and beat them in the tournament, thus getting into their heads (like we seem to do with the Bison in MBB).  

Colorado and especially UCF will be big challenges --- could steal one of them if the Good Jacks show up for two halves.

Meanwhile, need to take care of business with the D-II teams remaining on the schedule.

I'm still hanging in there, how about y'all?
      I think 4 wins is very realistic, maybe 6. I would be disappointed with less than 4. I think finishing strong will mean something, I think.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

This year sometimes when I have gone to some of the home games it has been hard to take the hour drive up I29 but once I am there I am glad I went. I much prefer to win and see a good team but I can honestly say that I am just as happy no matter if we win or lose. They play and I watch and I am just not going to be much bothered by a loss. I enjoy the social experience. Having said that I AM bothered by student apathy. Here are the reasons in order that I believe kids are not coming
        1. Hanging in the dorms watching tv, doing media, or playing on their computer.
        2. Studying
        3. Hanging out with friends
        4. working
        No. 2 and 4 I can fully understand why you aren't at the game but those who are 1 and 3 should try the game once in awhile. They might find it enjoyable.

Comment

if by number 3 and "hanging out with friends" you mean drinking beer at the nearest house party, then I think you may have something there. However, I imagine that would be closer to number 1 on the list.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Hate to say it but our older age is showing...

If it's not fun, why should they go?   Basketball or sports in general aren't for everyone.  

That being said, I do think there are 5,000 plus students that if exited, would attend every game.

A few of my theories about crowd "crazies"

1) SDSU culture - unless they have beer in them, the students aren't usually very rowdy in any setting

2) The "old grumps" that sit behind the students.  When State was winning 10+ at home and packing the house, the students wanted to all stand, however those behind them would get down on them

3) Too many students that are at the game just to be seen or say they were there.  There is usually only a core of 100 or so "rowdy" fans

4) There is no doubt that this year the product has had an effect.  However our stellar women's team didn't exactly get the 4,800 crowd off it's feet against NDSU.

5) less double headers - has to have an effect

6) no augie, usd to pull new fans in (this is how I was hooked)

One last comment on the mascot.  This pretty much sums up the Athletic department's strict policy against being creative and loud.

Possibly the most athletically talented "Jackrabbit" in the last 10+ years was limited to what he could do.  I don't know if I've seen a rabbit do flips, etc since.   He wanted to ride sleds down the ailes, use props etc.  He was repeatedly told no.   This applies to the band at Football games and other areas.

I think we should all relax.  Support them when you can and next year will be much better.  Even as big underdogs against Manhattan etc. it should be a huge turnout and exitement.   Not to mention the great football schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99

2) The "old grumps" that sit behind the students.  When State was winning 10+ at home and packing the house, the students wanted to all stand, however those behind them would get down on them

He wanted to ride sleds down the ailes, use props etc.  He was repeatedly told no.   This applies to the band at Football games and other areas.

No doubt about #2.  When we hosted the Women's NCC Wells Fargo Tourny a couple of years ago (UND beat us for the crown), my girlfriend (now finace) bought tickets in the Lower Level reserved section.  We had great seats, about 4 rows from the top of the LL and right at mid court.  Whenever the game would get exciting and we would stand up to cheer on a Jackrabbit run, we were quickly shunned and told to sit down.  I also remember sitting in the student section and being told/yelled at to sit down by fans in the GA bleachers behind us.  The fans at Frost are some of the best, most knowledgeable fans around, but definently not the craziest.  I think the general atmosphere is just to sit back, relax and enjoy the game.

That would be pretty damn cool to see a Jackrabbit mascot come flying down the ailse. 8)

Comment

A buddy and I, both working at SDSU at the time, had season tickets in the upper reserved section--this was a while ago, probably the late 80's.

We were told to quiet down on more than one occasion by the old grumps in the chair back seats.

We didn't.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Only comments I got when going from down below to the chair backed seats was that now maybe we can get some enthusiasm up here.

Sat down in the bleachers for two years with having season tickets. When we went upstairs we were with 3 Deans that throughly loved State and BB.

Enjoyed 10 years of good Jacks BB. Students were not always the best even back then. The season ticket holders can raise the level of enthusiasm also. Not just the students.

The hardest part was games durning breaks. And it appears that the breaks are longer now.

Go State.
                  Is is always a good day to ride.

Comment

Working...
                  X