• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SI story on our first year woes

Highlights from a Sports Illustrated story:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....divisioni.ap/

SDSU working through rough first year as D-I school

Posted: Thursday February 3, 2005 3:24PM; Updated: Thursday February 3, 2005 3:24PM

MITCHELL, S.D. (AP) -- The South Dakota State University men's basketball team would be struggling this year regardless of whether it was playing in NCAA Division I, coach Scott Nagy says.

"Even if we were a Division II team, we wouldn't be a very good team," Nagy told the Mitchell Quarterback Club on Wednesday.

SDSU, a perennial power in Division II men's basketball, is 6-14 in its first year at the next level.

"A lot of people think the reason we're down is because of the transition," Nagy said. "But we've sustained some losses that have been very difficult."

Guard Andy Moeller decided to leave the team because of the move to Division I, the coach said. And Nagy said post player Matt Jones -- "the best player that I've ever coached at SDSU" -- was sidelined with mononucleosis two years ago and has not been able to play because of exhaustion.

Nagy said he decided to redshirt many of this year's freshman to build for the future.

"The future's more important than what's going on right now," he said. "We kind of knew that we'd take it on the chin this year. We made the decision to redshirt the freshmen, but unfortunately we don't have a great basketball team this year."  .  .  .

"With all the road games, if you talk with other coaches in D-I, they say it's darn near impossible to win a nonconference Division I road game," Nagy said. "It doesn't matter where you play. We've been fortunate enough to win one and compete in most of them. We've just had a couple where we haven't competed."

The Jackrabbits defeated Tennessee State 82-80 on Dec. 22.

SDSU cannot compete in the NCAA tournament for the next four years, but Nagy said the move to Division I was correct.

"When I look at what's happening in the North Central Conference and Division II, and with all the teams leaving, I really knew it was the right move for SDSU. I knew, as a basketball coach, I better get behind it. I can't be out there knocking it and trying to recruit kids coming to us. I better get behind it and believe it, and I do."

Go State!  ;D

Re: SI story on our first year woes

How where the Jacks able to abosultly handle the Bison at Frost and yet lose to all these lowly D2 and NAIA teams. The Bison seem to be doing fine with the lack of depth, whats going on with the Jacks? And things may seem bad at SDSU but they are alot worse at other places like Savannah State for example(at least you have a D1 win). If you want to see rock bottom for a D1 program here it is http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/column...amp;id=1980454
    I don't think B-ball at either one of the SU's will ever get that bad since there is just too much support and tradition up here. And also not to mention that Savannah St has an athletic budget comparable to Augie and has fan support at about UNC's level. It is kind of sad though that schools like Savvanah St and UNC may get into a D1 conference before either one of SU's.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
      Highlights from a Sports Illustrated story:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....divisioni.ap/

SDSU working through rough first year as D-I school

Posted: Thursday February 3, 2005 3:24PM; Updated: Thursday February 3, 2005 3:24PM

MITCHELL, S.D. (AP) -- The South Dakota State University men's basketball team would be struggling this year regardless of whether it was playing in NCAA Division I, coach Scott Nagy says.

"Even if we were a Division II team, we wouldn't be a very good team," Nagy told the Mitchell Quarterback Club on Wednesday.

SDSU, a perennial power in Division II men's basketball, is 6-14 in its first year at the next level.

"A lot of people think the reason we're down is because of the transition," Nagy said. "But we've sustained some losses that have been very difficult."

Guard Andy Moeller decided to leave the team because of the move to Division I, the coach said. And Nagy said post player Matt Jones -- "the best player that I've ever coached at SDSU" -- was sidelined with mononucleosis two years ago and has not been able to play because of exhaustion.

Nagy said he decided to redshirt many of this year's freshman to build for the future.

"The future's more important than what's going on right now," he said. "We kind of knew that we'd take it on the chin this year. We made the decision to redshirt the freshmen, but unfortunately we don't have a great basketball team this year."  .  .  .

"With all the road games, if you talk with other coaches in D-I, they say it's darn near impossible to win a nonconference Division I road game," Nagy said. "It doesn't matter where you play. We've been fortunate enough to win one and compete in most of them. We've just had a couple where we haven't competed."

The Jackrabbits defeated Tennessee State 82-80 on Dec. 22.

SDSU cannot compete in the NCAA tournament for the next four years, but Nagy said the move to Division I was correct.

"When I look at what's happening in the North Central Conference and Division II, and with all the teams leaving, I really knew it was the right move for SDSU. I knew, as a basketball coach, I better get behind it. I can't be out there knocking it and trying to recruit kids coming to us. I better get behind it and believe it, and I do."

Go State!  ;D

i was at the quarterback club and after listening to him speak, i cant wait till next yr.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison
        How where the Jacks able to abosultly handle the Bison at Frost and yet lose to all these lowly D2 and NAIA teams. The Bison seem to be doing fine with the lack of depth, whats going on with the Jacks? And things may seem bad at SDSU but they are alot worse at other places like Savannah State for example(at least you have a D1 win). If you want to see rock bottom for a D1 program here it is http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/column...amp;id=1980454
        I don't think B-ball at either one of the SU's will ever get that bad since there is just too much support and tradition up here. And also not to mention that Savannah St has an athletic budget comparable to Augie and has fan support at about UNC's level. It is kind of sad though that schools like Savvanah St and UNC may get into a D1 conference before either one of SU's.
        Fargo:
        The inconsistency of this year for the Jacks is a real head scratcher and I understand also after reading the Fargo Forum that NDSU was not playing up to their potential when they came to Frost. Hopefully both teams will be on when the rematch takes place in Fargo.

As far as Savannah State, that is kind of sad and their goals for moving up to D1 are probably much different that NDSU and SDSU. I wonder if we can even begin to compare. Savannah is a historically black college and since the Civil Rights movement, the Southern schools such as the SEC and ACC have open up to African Americans, in terms of recruiting and participation. I think that has put a real drain on a talent pool that was once there during the days of segregation. I sure if you were to get to know a bunch people at Savannah, you would eventually get the real story as why things are as they are at Savannah State.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN

Fargo:
          The inconsistency of this year for the Jacks is a real head scratcher and I understand also after reading the Fargo Forum that NDSU was not playing up to their potential when they came to Frost.  Hopefully both teams will be on when the rematch takes place in Fargo.
          Right now NDSU is rolling(knock on wood) and has gotten back up to the .500 mark. I'm sure they will be ready for the Jacks in the BSA and hopefully the Jacks can get back on track by the time we play. Only 19 days and both the NDSU men and SDSU women will get there shot at revenge, should be a couple of great games.

Comment

Working...
          X