History lesson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History lesson

OK, that was one ugly game last night. Worst in the Nagy era for sure. I too was very disappointed and embarrassed by the performance. However, I am always looking for the bright side and here it is.

The last time the Jacks were this bad was the '89-'90 season under Coach Thorson. They went 8-7 at Frost (this year's team finished 6-5 at Frost) and went 8-19 for the season (this year's team is sitting on 7-15). The good news is the very next season the Rabbits bounced back and finished 24-8 and were North Central Regional Runners-Up.

This season is ugly and nothing is going to change that. Next season we get a fresh start with some fresh faces and we get some good games at Frost. I for one am looking forward to '05-'06.

Go Jackrabbits! ;D

Re: History lesson

As I recall, Chris White arrived the next season and played a huge part in the turnaround. I think Chris Counts son of the NBA great Mel Counts was also a big role player. Not a big scorer but Counts could set some mean picks.

If we go for JUCO's we need to be selective and get kids who also want a education besides the opporutunity to do basketball.

Comment

The other time, in modern history, that SDSU was this bad was '85-'86 (8-20).  That was the season right after we were NCAA D-II National Runner-Up.  Again it was a Jim Thorson team (his first year as head Coach) and again they got better the next season.  Although not as dramatic as the other example, they did have a winning season in '86-'87 (16-12) and the season after that they made it to Coach Thorson's first Regional (1 of 3 for Thorson, Coach Nagy has already been to 8 ).

So everyone keep your chins up.  This too shall pass.  We have Coach Nagy and we are the Jackrabbits!

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Good historical references!

How many DI schools did those teams play? Probably none. Replace the DI schools on our schedule with DII schools and I would bet this would not be even close to the worst team at SDSU.

Go Jacks!

Comment

We did play some d1 teams. The year we were runner-ups we lost @kansas with danny manning and larry brown by 12 or 13 and the year after jim thorsons first year we lost @ iowa state by over 40 and the in 87 or 88 we lost @Michigan by 40. i hope we will be able to play more of these teams next year.

Comment

Working...
          X