• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• things could be worse

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_...&type=lgns

Savannah State goes 0-28 for the season

Re: things could be worse

Losing 28 games is painful for any team. I feel for their fans especially since they had a shot at winning the last game.

It was interesting to hear in the pregame interview that last week Coach Nagy went recruiting for a couple of days to cool down after the SWMSU game. I wonder where he went and what he accompolished. Could it be he is taking on a few JUCO's? Stay tuned. I hope we can some D1 transfers show up that have played a similar style of ball. That may be a better choice.

Comment

It will be interesting to see who Coach Nagy brings in for next year. If I recall correctly National Letter of Intent day (late period) happen in Mid-April.

Go State! ;D

Comment

I also caught the recruiting comment. We certainly have some quality playing time to offer talented players who want to come in and play immediately. Hopefully help is on the way. Fortunately in basketball it doesn't take much to reshape a team.

Comment

I count 3 roster spots available after departure of Scott,Wenig,Hokenson,DeJong and Giever and the addition of the two new recruits from Minnesota. I haven't heard anything about James Keller and whether he is someone who can contribute. Is he on scholarship?Ben DeWaard has not gotten any playing time and wonder what his status will be for next year. We need 3 good players who can can come in and join the rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
            I count 3 roster spots available after departure of Scott,Wenig,Hokenson,DeJong and Giever and the addition of the two new recruits from Minnesota. I haven't heard anything about James Keller and whether he is someone who can contribute. Is he on scholarship?Ben DeWaard has not gotten any playing time and wonder what his status will be for next year. We need 3 good players who can can come in and join the rotation.
            If you include going up to the full 13 scholarships next season we should have 5 left to give out, unless I counted wrong. I have also heard that the Keller kid is going to be more of a role player on the team, and probably won't be contributing as a starter in his career. On his profile on the athletics page it says he is a walk on. Has anybody heard anything about Kleinjan? Is he even coming back next season? He's had this foot problem two years in row now, hasn't he? I can't see why anybody would want to keep coming back and injuring themselves like that. Its not worth a life of pain for 4 years of basketball. I hope he is back next season, but I was wondering.

Comment

Troy Larson has been all over the country, and (out of it) looking for players.
              It sounds like they have 3 that are close to signing. Some would be able to help next season.

Comment

Originally posted by newser
                Troy Larson has been all over the country, and (out of it) looking for players.
                It sounds like they have 3 that are close to signing. Some would be able to help next season.
                This is GREAT news!. Thanks for sharing! ;D

Go State! 8)

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit85

Has anybody heard anything about Kleinjan?  Is he even coming back next season?  He's had this foot problem two years in row now, hasn't he?
                  Kleinjan's stress fracture happend just before this season started. I believe you are thinking of Wenig who broke his foot in '03-'04 and was sitting out this year because of it, before he left school.

Comment

I believe we will have 10 on scholarship next year:
                    Casey,Kleinjan,Cadwell,Gilbert,Holdren,Green,Beran ,loney,Bilitz,Engen. Three non-scholarship Keller,DeWaard and Yackley. That leaves 3 scholarships left if we have 13. Usually 15 on the roster.

Comment

I don't have any inside recruiting info. other than I know the two big 6-10 kids from Minnesota will both be redshirted next year. But I think people will be surprised at how much better we will be next season, I think there will be a significant improvement in next years team. Will we be .500? I dont know, but I would'nt bet against it.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                        I believe we will have 10 on scholarship next year:
                        Casey,Kleinjan,Cadwell,Gilbert,Holdren,Green,Beran ,loney,Bilitz,Engen. Three non-scholarship Keller,DeWaard and Yackley. That leaves 3 scholarships left if we have 13. Usually 15 on the roster.  
                        That would mean that we have three scholarships to give and only two roster spots. Is that right???
                        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

That is the way I see it. I assume even a redshirt counts as a roster spot. Keller or DeWaard may be the odd person out if we land 3 scholarship calibre players which we desperately need.

Comment

I would think the coaching staff is looking for a big post player, quick point guard and an athletic slashing 6'4-6'5 small forward who can also guard a similar player from the opposing team. Maybe Gilbert is that guy. In a perfect world these three guys would be able to come in and contribute immediately which makes me wonder if we are going the JC route.

Comment

I always thought there was a limit to the number of scholarships a team can offer in a year, like 4 or 5. It seems to me this was a big deal for Lute Olson a few years ago when about 4 of his scholarship players went to the draft early and 1 or 2 of his players were done with their eligibility.

Does anybody know anything about this?

Comment

Working...
                              X