• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UCF

from the Detroit Free Press

http://www.freep.com/news/statewire/...2_20050221.htm

UCF 82, S. Dakota St. 72
    February 21, 2005, 9:14 PM

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Gary Johnson scored a season-high 25 points, including 6-for-6 from the free throw line in the final minute, as UCF held off pesky South Dakota State 82-72 in a non-conference game Monday night.

UCF (19-8) won its third straight game and seventh in its last eight outings.

The Knights at one point led lead 75-62 but the Jackrabbits (9-18) cut their deficit to 78-72 on a three-pointer by Steve Holdren with 31.6 seconds left.

Johnson sealed the victory with four free throws in the final 30 seconds.

Josh Peppers finished with 15 points and Anthony Williams added 10 points, six rebounds and six blocked shots for the Knights.

Ben Beran led South Dakota State with 20 points. Holdren finished with 19 points and seven rebounds.

UCF outscored South Dakota State 24-3 from three-point range in the first half, but the Jackrabbits led 24-22 until Johnson and Justin Rose hit consecutive three-pointers. The Knights never trailed thereafter, leading 37-30 at the half.

Comments? Questions? You can reach us at The Freep http://www.freep.com/help/webmizz.htm

Comment

02/21/2005
      Central Florida Outlasts Jacks
      http://www.gojacks.com/

ORLANDO, FL - Central Florida’s three-point and free throw shooting helped the Golden Knights hold off a determined effort by South Dakota State as the Jackrabbits fell 82-72 Monday night.

The Jacks, playing their fourth game in five days, stayed close until the end. They were within two at 48-46, and still within six after a Steve Holdren three-pointer pulled the Jacks within 78-72.

SDSU had five more field goals than UCF, 29 to 24, but UCF finished with 11 three-pointers compared to four for SDSU. And UCF was 23-of-36 at the foul line, shooting 30 free throws in the second half, while SDSU was just 10-of-18 at the line.

SDSU led 24-22 after a basket by Holdren, but UCF got a three-pointer from Gary Johnson to take the lead for good at 25-24. A three-point basket by 6-9 center Will Bakanowsky pushed the margin to 34-27 and the teams traded points to a 37-30 halftime. UCF hit 8 (of 16) three-point baskets in the first half.

SDSU scored the first basket of the second half, by Holdren, but UCF got a three-point play by Josh Peppers and a basket by Marcus Johnson to take a 42-32 margin.

Central Florida, now 19-8 overall, had four players in double figures led by Gary Johnson, with 25 points and 10 rebounds. Josh Peppers added 15, 13 in the second half, while Anthony Williams and Kingsley Edwards scored 10 each.

SDSU’s front line of Ben Beran, Holdren and Joe Green combined for 57 points with 20, 19 and 18 respectively.

SDSU shot 51 per cent, 29-of-51, from the field while UCF shot 46 per cent, 24-of-52.

SDSU, 9-18, will close its season against North Dakota State in Fargo Saturday.

Central Florida 82, South Dakota State 72
      South Dakota State (9-18)
      Steve Holdren 7-13 2-4 19, Joe Green 8-14 2-6 18, Ben Beran 8-13 4-5 20, Luke Geiver 2-6 0-0 5, Brady Hokenson 1-3 0-0 2, Mackenzie Casey 0-0 0-0 0, Jared DeJong 0-1 0-0 0, Michael Loney 3-7 2-3 8. Totals 29-57 10-18 72.

Central Floriday (19-8)
      Joshua Peppers 5-10 2-3 15, Anthony Williams 4-7 2-4 10, William Bakanowsky 2-5 2-2 7, Gary Johnson 5-9 10-13 25, Kingsley Edwards 4-10 1=4 1-. Adam Picow 0-0 0-0 0, Troy Lindbeck 0-2 0-0 0, Justin Rose 2-2 0-0 5, Marcus Johnson 2-6 5-8 9, Adam Gill 0-1 0-2 1, Albert Smidebush 0-0 0-0 0. Totals 24-52 23-36 82.

Halftime: UCF 37, SDSU 30

FG% - SDSU .509, UCF .462. 3-pt FG - SDSU 4-8 (Holdren 3-4, Geiver 1-2, Green 0-2), UCF 11-25 (G. Johnson 5-8, Peppers 3-6, Rose 1-1, Bakanowsky 1-3, Edwards 1-5, Lindbeck 0-2). Rebounds - SDSU 34 (Holdren 7, Beran 6), UCF 36 (M. Johnson 10, Edwards 8). Fouls - SDsU 23, UC 19. Fouled out - UCF Rose. Assists - SDSU 21 (Hokenson 6), UCF 18 (Edwards 7). Steals - SDSU 3 (Beran, Geiver, DeJong), UCF 8 (Edwards 4). Blocked shots - SDSU 1 (Green), UCF 10 (Williams 6). Turnovers - SDSU 15, UCF 13. Attendance - 1,322.

Comment

Coach Nagy had a great quote after tonights game. I can't remember exactly what he said but it went something like: "Eventhough you may come up short in the end and have your heart broken the important thing is that you went out on the court played hard and competed rather than sit in the stands. He also said he told his players that this is not only true in basketball, but also in life." This was a great comment and truely shows Coach Nagy's character. If anyone can get the exact quote it must be posted on this site so everyone can read it. WNAX has some new guys from Kansas working the morning show and have been replaying, and having fun with some of Coach Nagy's comments during their sports broadcasts. I really hope they replay these comments tomorow morning.

Comment

I've dusted off my dormant blog/website, and just added an entry musing on winning and losing. Not really much you folks haven't heard from me before, but I think it gives some more perspective.

http://www.medary.com

I'm looking at an April launch for the site but am honored to give you guys a sneak preview . . .
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Wasn't able to listen to the game but it seems a better effort was put forth. Look like we really got killed from the 3-point line and FT line again. These are things that can improve i.e. better shooters can be inserted. I hope they are on the way.

As for Nagy's comments, everything he says about BB he infers an application to "real" life.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 90Jackrabbit
              Coach Nagy had a great quote after tonights game. I can't remember exactly what he said but it went something like: "Eventhough you may come up short in the end and have your heart broken the important thing is that you went out on the court played hard and competed rather than sit in the stands. He also said he told his players that this is not only true in basketball, but also in life." This was a great comment and truely shows Coach Nagy's character. If anyone can get the exact quote it must be posted on this site so everyone can read it. WNAX has some new guys from Kansas working the morning show and have been replaying, and having fun with some of Coach Nagy's comments during their sports broadcasts. I really hope they replay these comments tomorow morning.
              This is very close to what I recall Coach Nagy said and will accept it. As a recent retiree, what he is saying about life if very accurate. I stayed in two jobs way too long and if I had moved on sooner, I think life might now be more fuller financially, but there was always that fear of rejection and taking a chance that made me attempt to be comfortable with jobs I did not like. Yep Coach Nagy is a very smart man for his very young age.
              The players are lucky and should not forget what he says. He never gets down on the guys for full effort. ;D

Comment

Working...
              X