Clear All

• Nagy story

Highlights from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...42/1002/SPORTS

Nagy sees signs of hope for Jackrabbit men's squad

Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 02/26/05

BROOKINGS - It's unusual to see Scott Nagy in a chipper mood these days, but he could hardly contain his smiles this week.

His struggling South Dakota State men's basketball squad appeared to turn a bit of a corner Monday, when it lost 82-72 to Central Florida to close out a grueling, nine-day road trip that began in Colorado.

To say this season has been a drain on Nagy is an understatement. But with a full 60-minute performance against the Golden Knights that Nagy called one of his team's best this season, there beamed a slight beacon of hope in this humbling 9-18 first season in Division I.

SDSU wraps up its season today against North Dakota State at 8 p.m. in Fargo, the third time the teams have played this season. The Jackrabbits won the first meeting 78-59 at Frost Arena, then lost to the Bison 75-55 last week at the National Independent Tournament in Florida.

"I think it is important that we win the last game and leave with a good feeling," Nagy says. "We really played good against Central Florida, probably the best we've played all year. I think the kids feel good about that, and I hope it carries into this game."

An emotional boost is important because the Jackrabbits will be required to play a minimum of 23 Division I opponents next season, whereas they played a mishmash of D-I, D-II and NAIA competition this season. . . .

"I feel we played some of our best games against our best opponents," Nagy admits. "But we've played some of our worst games against lesser opponents. It really ended up being a tough year.

Early this season, there were competitive games against Manhattan and Marquette, the kind of mid-major Division I programs SDSU hopes to one day mirror.

"I don't think people had a lot of high expectations for us," Nagy says. "I think, as a result, quite honestly some of our players played that way and didn't play up to their capabilities."

Two players Nagy cited as examples of that malaise were Ben Beran and Joe Green, but Nagy also praised both for how they refocused in the second half.

Beran, last year's North Central Conference Freshman of the Year, leads the team in scoring at 13.8 points a game. The 6-foot-7 forward has continued to improve, especially in terms of his leadership abilities.

Having started 13 of the last 14 games, Green exemplifies the kind of effort Nagy hopes next year's club will have every night. The 6-8 forward yanked a career-best 13 rebounds against a tall, burly Colorado squad. He leads the Jacks with a 6.6 rebounds per game.

"Really, since Christmas, they've both been playing a lot better," Nagy says of the two sophomores from Iowa. "It's been pleasant to see, because, over the next two years, this is their team. We'll have no seniors next year, so I think those guys see they have to be leaders."

One thing Nagy readily admits is that the Jacks need help at the guard position. Freshman Matt Cadwell will come off his redshirt year and be expected to contribute alongside freshman Steve Holdren, who is second on the team at 12.2 points a contest.

Nagy plans to hit the recruiting trail hard and use the three or four scholarships he has left for perimeter players.

"Next year, it will be better for us from a consistency standpoint that we play good teams every night," Nagy says. "We'll be better, but still young. I think in two years, we'll have a lot of experience."

Go State! ;D

Re: Nagy story

Great story and great coach. It can only better and it will if Coach Nagy is in charge.

Comment

Working...
    X