• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Canyon University

Here are highlights from an Argus story:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...503030334/1002

Women's finale

The women's basketball team will close out its season Saturday by hosting Grand Canyon (Ariz.).

Tipoff is at 7 p.m. in Frost Arena. Jackrabbit seniors Stephanie Bolden, Sarita DeBoer, Brooke Dickmeyer and Shannon Schlagel - who have led SDSU to a combined 106-26 record during their four-year careers - will be honored prior to the game. . . .

Go State! ;D

Re: Grand Canyon University

Here is a link to Grand Canyon's web site:

http://www.grand-canyon.edu/Athletics/wbasket/wbask.htm

Go Jackrabbits, beat the Lopes! ;D

Comment

Couldn't get to the web site by the link you provided.

looks like you need an "L" on the end. Should read:

http://www.grand-canyon.edu/Athletic...ket/wbask.html

Don't want people to miss the site (just for the "L" of it).

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

This game will likely get out of hand early. This will be the Seniors last game, I wish I could be in attendance. They have really moved SDSU to the top in NCAA WBB. and set the tone for the future. Congrats Lady Jacks, and have a great time tonight!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
          This game will likely get out of hand early. This will be the Seniors last game, I wish I could be in attendance. They have really moved SDSU to the top in NCAA WBB. and set the tone for the future. Congrats Lady Jacks, and have a great time tonight!!!
          I've just been wondering: Are they the "Lady Jacks" or just the "Jacks"? I think most women's teams with a non-gendered mascot have dropped the "Lady" from their nicknames. Just curious. I don't think I've ever called them "Lady Jacks" and I grew up in Brookings. What do others think?

Comment

I try to use "Lady" only as a convention to distinguish the women's team from the men's team when it is not obvious in context. Sometimes I use WBB and MBB as well. But as far as I know, officially they're just the "Jackrabbits" or "Jacks." I'm not sure that "Rabbits" is really used officially when referring to SDSU athletics teams. Maybe someone with access to the style sheet can comment.

Anyway, thank God we're not calling the women "The Bunnies" or "The Cottontails" or something like that. (I'm thinking of the Central Missouri State "Mules" and "Jennies"--other examples may come to mind).

On the other hand, given the SDSU WBB success the past few years, "The Thumpers" might be appropriate.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

All right, folks, I've got a black tie/charity thing that Snookums is dragging me to tonight, so I'll expect lots of good comments on the board re: the Grand Canyon game.

Go Rabbits!
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I listened this week to WDAY in Fargo for Bisonfeedback. Amy Ruley talked about Grand Canyon and how she had worked with AJ in getting these games set up. GC plays the Bison Sunday afternoon, so that will be fun for GC.

Amy talked a lot about the Katie at the Buzzer game, but she said AJ when the ball went in the bucket at the buzzer he started to aplaud the basket.  She thought that AJ was a very class guy.  She said no one really lost that game based on how hard both teams played.

Kind of feel good comments, but would we hear stuff like that from Chad Lavin? ??? : : :

One last thing Amy mentioned that the Independant tourney had overlooked both SDSU and NDSU and they hope to get into that next year as it includes D1 independants.

Comment

Jacks with a big lead 25-9

Comment

Halftime

SDSU 45
                    Grand Canyon 18

Comment

Final:

SDSU 91
                      GCU 43

Congratulations on a great year. 21-7
                      Seniors-Thanks for the memories !!!!

Comment

OK Rabbit....reply to the Lady Jacks thing.
                        I've always referred to them as what they are...The Womens Basketball team at South Dakota State...not the Lady Jacks. Being a "big" fan and seeing them play quite a bit, and knowing some of them quite well, they are women. Just ask Oklahoma State and Alabama and Kentucky...... how "Lady-like" they are. When its gametime, you had best be on your best.

I don't know that there is anything wrong with the Lady moniker, but my test is...Which one sounds more professional, respectful, mature?

I do think one school-one name is a good creedo...we are the Jackrabitts of South Dakota State. ;D

Having said that, a hearty 'Lets Go Rabbits' from a couple thousand fans at Frost will send a chill up your spine!

Comment

Highlights from the argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...32/1002/SPORTS

SDSU ends its season with win Jackrabbits dominate Grand Canyon by 48

Chris Solari
                          csolari@argusleader.com

published: 03/6/05

BROOKINGS - Sarita DeBoer scored her 1,000th collegiate point early Saturday night. Fittingly, in the final game of her South Dakota State career, it kick-started one of those patented knockout stretches that her Jackrabbit senior teammates have enjoyed the past four years.

SDSU took over with that 14-0 spurt as the Jackrabbits finished their first Division I season with a 91-43 thumping of Division II independent Grand Canyon at Frost Arena.

All four Jackrabbit seniors gave a snapshot of ther signature roles in the swan-song victory. DeBoer ruled the paint. Stephanie Bolden dialed in from 3-point range and swarmed the perimeter on defense. Brooke Dickmeyer savagely attacked the offensive boards, and Shannon Schlagel did a bit of everything - just as she had throughout a career in which she started all but five games.

In addition to a 107-26 overall record, the SDSU seniors finished a sterling 55-4 mark at Frost. They all played in at least 100 games apiece, combining for more than 3,800 points, 2,100 rebounds, 700 assists and 500 steals.

After three straight Division II Elite Eight appearances that carried their season deep into the month of basketball madness, this debut season in Division I brought a March game in which finality was certain for the Jackrabbits.

"Two out of our four years here, we've won the last game we played," said Schlagel, the Raymond native who ended her career as just the second 1,000-point, 1,000-rebound player in Jackrabbit history. "To go out as seniors and win the last time, I think it hasn't really hit us now because either you lose or you continue winning at the end of the season. But we went out with class."

With the seniors leaving, only Heather Sieler and Christina Gilbert remain from SDSU's 2003 Division II national championship team. After a 21-7 record this season, those two will be counted on as the senior leaders when the Jacks play almost an exclusive Division I schedule for the first time next season.

"I'm always down the last day because it's not only the last chance to coach them, but this team," Coach Aaron Johnston said. "Even though a lot of these players will be back, it's still not the same. We'll have a whole different make-up." . . .

We might have started a little sluggish, but I think that kind of had a little to do with the roller coaster of emotions," said DeBoer, who became the 25th Jackrabbit woman to reach the 1,000-point plateau.

Late in the first half, Johnston picked up the first technical foul of his five-year career. His troops proceeded to follow that by carrying a 25-3 run into the early stages of the second half, including back-to-back 3-pointers by Schlagel and Sieler to open the second period.

Junior point guard Sieler finished with 16 points, while all-time leading scorer Schlagel had 15. Freshman Andrea Verdegan chipped in 10 points, and Washington High grad Dickmeyer snagged a team-best nine rebounds.

With 8:23 remaining and SDSU comfortably ahead by 42, Johnston inserted all four of his seniors one final time. For the next four minutes, they ran and jumped together again like it was a one-point nailbiter, stirring the memories of four years worth of postseason wins and thrilling comebacks.

Then, one by one, they checked out to a roar of applause, heading toward their lives after basketball.

"Coming off the court for the last time, it kind of hits you then," Dickmeyer said. "I think it will hit us more when we're watching our teammates start up again. They'll be starting up again, and we'll be sitting at home."

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                            I've just been wondering: Are they the "Lady Jacks" or just the "Jacks"? I think most women's teams with a non-gendered mascot have dropped the "Lady" from their nicknames. Just curious. I don't think I've ever called them "Lady Jacks" and I grew up in Brookings. What do others think?
                            OK Rabbit:
                            You are correct, the lady stuff has never been used. There are mens sports and womens sports and both are the Jacks, or Jackrabbits. With the importance placed on Title IX, I believe this is the best approach.
                            Jackrabbits the real animal that live outside are both male and female so there is no need for Lady anywhere.

A Jackrabbit is a Jackrabbit. I dont think even Elmer Fudd worries about gender. ;D

Comment

Working...
                            X