'84-'85 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '84-'85 Season

I remember waiting in line for three hours for tickets for the regional championship. The line stretched from the west end of the HPER to the library.

The place was packed so early that the players got standing ovations in shoot arounds. My first experience with the wave as well. Cal-State Hayward's players were so awestruck that they were taking pictures prior to the game with fans etc. (we had it won before it started) The NCAA rep for the game stated that particular crowd exceeded the levels of enthusiasum typical of Duke etc.

After the game many of us celebrated at the sodbuster (bowling alley), ate free chili cheese dogs and accidently lit the counter on fire from a spilled "Barn Burner" (some high octane drink you lit up and then drank)

That is what I would call a "distinguished" memory.

Re: '84-'85 Season

There have been some huge games at Frost since then, but IMO - none have measured up to the Cal-Hayward game. I was a Freshman at State that year. You are correct in asserting that game was over during warmups. The Cal players were dumbfounded at the atmosphere they found themselves in. It was like a rock concert. I will never forget the mayhem of that night!!

Comment

Actually, the Cal-Hayward game was a Quarterfinal game. They didn't have an Elite 8 at one location back then. The Regionals were held in Frost and Hayward came to town later for the Quarterfinal. It was an unbelievable evening and certainly was the sports highlight of my 4 years in Brookings (with Hobo Day 85 a close second).

I've written about it here before, but one of my most vivid memories was during the third-place game at the Regionals. Northern Michigan was beating the crap out of Gannon and everybody from each team was getting some playing time except one player (can't remember which team he was on) who was on the end of the bench and still in his warmups. Frost was packed with State fans waiting for the championship game and the students started chanting the player's name. His coach relented and put him in the game and the crowd went nuts. He eventually scored and he got a huge cheer from thousands of fans. I'm sure he'll never forget it.

Comment

97-98 team played Northern in the championship at Frost (we will not discuss the result). I stood in line in subzero temps for 2 hours with about 2000 other Jacks faithful waiting for the doors to open. The "Lets go Rabbits" chants began before we even got in the door. Frost was rocking that night and I hope that atmosphere returns very soon. I'm sure a similar feel will be present at this years regional, yeah right.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Another unfortunate ending but i have never heard Frost so loud and then so absolutely dead quiet as the game ended as the Regional Championship against Metro. Damn that kid from australia. ;D

I have to say the games versus USD last year when each of the four teams were ranked in the top ten in the nation was pretty wild as well.

"I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
            Another unfortunate ending but i have never heard Frost so loud and then so absolutely dead quiet as the game ended as the Regional Championship against Metro.  Damn that kid from australia.  ;D
            Agreed, that shot damn near hit the ceiling before it went in. I didn't sleep for 3 days. Metro then goes on to win the NC. Talk about twisting the knife.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I'll turn the mood around and bring up the 1997 Regional Final when the Jacks defeated the previously-unbeaten and defending National Champions from Fort Hays State.

On a side note: Fort Hays got royally screwed by having to travel to Brookings for the Regional.

Comment

I have to agree with TexasJack and JoeJackrabbit. I was a Sophomore the year we played Hayward. I was fortunate to be near the front of the line and yes, the line did stretch to the library. I remember when the doors opened, the students streaming across the court and the student section was filled in minutes.

A close second was the 97-98 year and again we will not discuss the result. I also stood in line for more than two hours with my father and brother and we took turns warming up in the car.

Another great game was the year we beat the defending champs Fort Hays. They were intimidated by the rowdy fans and I doubt they had ever played in that kind of atmosphere. I remember their big man(Goldston) whinning everytime there was contact and wearing him out by chasing Meister up and down the court.

Sorry this got a little long, I just get carried away talking about great Jacks games.

Comment

One of the best moments for me was the prelude to the WBB championship in St. Joes. The pregame rally was jammed packed with The Jackrabbit Nation. A couple hours before tipoff people were heading out the doors of the sports bar to stand in line at the arena. The corridor was packed full of Rabbit faithful chanting "Let's go Rabbits!" It was unbelievable. I'm sure Northern Kentucky could here it in the locker room, we had won the game before the opening tip.

Comment

The two loudest sports venues I've ever been in have been the Metrodome at a late regular season game during one of the Twins' World Series seasons, and Frost Arena for the Hayward game. Allen Fieldhouse can also get that nasty loud at times as well.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I remember that 84-85 season. I was a sophomore living in Mathews Hall. Tommy McDonald shooting rainbows in from way out. Bob Ladaceur, Arvis Young, and Derrick Wordlaw awestruck about how many SoDaks came out for State basketball. Mark Tetzlaff doing his best Kevin McHale impression. Mark Schulz coming in from the bench. What a great team that was. I remember the very close loss to a Kansas team with Danny Manning. I remember being part of a record-setting crowd there for the Augie game. I remember when we beat Hayward. It was a great year.

Comment

SoDaK -- You forgot to mention that Tommy McDonald was only getting two points for each of those rainbows. I wonder what his numbers would have been had the 3-pointer been in use back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Crashola
                          SoDaK -- You forgot to mention that Tommy McDonald was only getting two points for each of those rainbows.  I wonder what his numbers would have been had the 3-pointer been in use back then.  

Less than Steve Brown who use to hit shots from just inside the half-court line (or so I've been told).

Comment

Working...
                          X