X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting quote from Coach Nagy

This Omaha World Herald article had the following quote from Coach Nagy
    http://www.omaha.com/article/2011081...708139824/1001

South Dakota State coach Scott Nagy looks at UNO and sees a potentially formidable Division I foe.
    "In our league to this point, we have what we call the big three — Oakland, IUPUI and Oral Roberts," Nagy said. "And they all have that same look.
    "They're in big cities that they can recruit to and — I know people might not want to hear this — they don't have football, which means they can focus on basketball,'' Nagy added.
    USD Fan

Re: Interesting quote from Coach Nagy

Interesting. FWIW...I don't think IUPUI, OU and ORU's success is as nearly tied to not having fball as it is to their location. Being outside Detroit and Indy and, to a lesser extent Tulsa, is priceless. Especially when your foes are from Fargo, Brookings, Cedar City, Vermillion, etc. That and the "Big 3" all boasted some pretty fantastic coaches. As for Omaha....I don't view Omaha as a bball hotbed...especially since UNO has to directly compete w/ Nebraska and Creighton and even Iowa, Iowa St, Missouri and Kansas for whatever stud might happen to come out of Omaha, which historically hasn't been many.

Comment

Re: Interesting quote from Coach Nagy

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
      Interesting. FWIW...I don't think IUPUI, OU and ORU's success is as nearly tied to not having fball as it is to their location. Being outside Detroit and Indy and, to a lesser extent Tulsa, is priceless. Especially when your foes are from Fargo, Brookings, Cedar City, Vermillion, etc. That and the "Big 3" all boasted some pretty fantastic coaches. As for Omaha....I don't view Omaha as a bball hotbed...especially since UNO has to directly compete w/ Nebraska and Creighton and even Iowa, Iowa St, Missouri and Kansas for whatever stud might happen to come out of Omaha, which historically hasn't been many.
      I think the coach has made some good points, and being in a rural area is not a selling point to talented BB players. I think we have to sell our education opportunities and that possibly cuts out a lot of talent from even giving SDSU a thought in making their choice.
      I was just looking at a google search on UNO. They have signed quite a few talented kids since the decision to go D1 was announced. I expect their program will to do well, maybe better than football which seemed to have taken a tail spin. Average attendence had dropped to less than 3000 a game, which was much higher I believe. So dropping football might have been a good decision for UNO, but would not be a good decision for SDSU.
      We are the only game in town in Brookings, but in Omaha its a completely different story.

I think AD Alberts might begin to look much better once UNO has a season or two under their belt. I seen in one of the articles searched that UNO planned to play some home game in the Civic Audtorium which was unhearded of in D2 days.

Comment

Working...
      X