State A Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State A Tournament

I watched most of the State A tournament over the weekend. Miller has a sophomore point guard (Petrka) that I thought showed great moxie for a young player running the show in big games. Did anyone else notice any players we should keep an eye on?
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Re: State A Tournament

The two kids from Arlington looked alright (King and Boeck).  Both are playing for the Dakota Schoolers this summer.  Both will be seniors next year.  Boeck impressed me a little bit more.  A gaurd at 6'4", can take it to the rack or hit from outside.  St. Thomas Moore has a 6'6" kid, Kyle Doer that looked pretty solid.  I think he's a sophomore.

Comment

I wanted to see SDSU when they played USC back in Dec or Jan. But things came up and missed it.

I know that the state of South Dakota produces a good amount of talented women's basketball players. Until recently with no D-1 program in the state they all went to other colleges. Becky Hammons for the WNBA and Colorado St. and Megan Mahoney of K State are two examples.

With SDSU making the jump to D-1 hopefully the in state kids will stay home.

I wonder how difficult it will be to recruit the in state kids because SDSU won't be able to go to the NCAA tourney until 08 right?

Comment

Of the recruits coming in only one is from Beresford SD, the others are from Mn and Wisconsin.  Going D1 may be very controversial still in South Dakota, but it has opened the door to several D1 candidates in nearby states that we could not reach as a D2 institution.

Making this transition from D2 to D1 is not an easy process and it takes time and financial committment to make it happen.  The attendence fell off at home games this year, but that was partly due to the scheduling that left SDSU between trying to get D1 schools to come to Brookings and the fact that all the NCC remaining members refused to play SDSU.  The options left was to schdule some out of the area D2 schools, NAIA and D3 opponents on the home schedule.  Next year the schedule will improve and USC women will get a taste of Frost Arena and South Dakota weather.

The SDSU adminstration is very much committed to making this move, and losing recruits and attendence in a one to five period of transition is part of the price to be paid in making this long term move.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
          Of the recruits coming in only one is from Beresford SD, the others are from Mn and Wisconsin.

I believe you are referring to Natalie Carda from Beresford?

There is another South Dakota player, Jennifer Warkenthien from Willow Lake, SD.  She almost single-handedly won the State Championship for her team with her performance in the title game.  She won the Spirit of Sue Award and I saw that she was named South Dakota Gatoraid player of the year.

Both ladies are great "all-around athletes" which will fit right in with the current women's team at SDSU.

They are without a doubt the two best players in S.D. from this year's class.  They will both contribute right away.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by Loudy
            I wanted to see SDSU when they played USC back in Dec or Jan.  But things came up and missed it.

I know that the state of South Dakota produces a good amount of talented women's basketball players.  Until recently with no D-1 program in the state they all went to other colleges.  Becky Hammons for the WNBA and Colorado St. and Megan Mahoney of K State are two examples.

With SDSU making the jump to D-1 hopefully the in state kids will stay home.

I wonder how difficult it will be to recruit the in state kids because SDSU won't be able to go to the NCAA tourney until 08 right?  
            Loudy,

Welcome to the board and thanks for posting. Coach Johnston already has a very good class coming in so I don't think recruiting will be a problem. One reason incoming Freshmen will have two years of being eligible for the NCAA Big Dance (if they red shirt their 1st season) and SDSU will be NIT eligible in both Women's and Men's Basketball starting this coming season ('05-'06).

Go State! ;D

Comment

Sorry forgot about the young lady from Willow Lake.

Comment

Working...
              X