Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011-12 Rotation

My guess on next year's staring 5:

PG - JR Nate Wolters (33 min) / SR Aireus Stephenson (8 min)
    SG - SO Chad White (29 min) / SO Brayden Carlson (15 min)
    SF - SR Griffan Callahan (31 min) / FR Zach Horstman (15 min)
    PF - SO Jordan Dykstra (32 min) / SO Marcus Heemstra (16 min)
    C - JR Tony Fiegen (28) / SO Marcus Heemstra

Redshirt: SG Zach Monaghan
    Bench: PG Jacobsen, PG Olson

or we could go small like last season

PG - JR Nate Wolters / SR Aireus Stephenson
    SG - SO Brayden Carlson / FR Zach Monaghan
    SF - SO Chad White / FR Zach Horstman
    PF - SR Griffan Callahan / JR Tony Fiegen
    C - SO Jordan Dykstra / SO Marcus Heemstra

Either way, this team should be just as good IMO. Losing Sargent and Moss hurts but I feel like if the young players can take a step up that we won't lose a beat. We still have very efficient scorer's and players that can knock down outside shots. How Marcus Heemstra develops is going to be huge for this team. If he isn't ready yet for bigger minutes than we'll have to go small.

It's frustrating that the coaching staff weren't able to add any players during the spring signing period. People can sugar coat it and say that we aren't going to add players that don't fit the team or that wouldn't get playing time, but there had to be JUCO post players that would have been able earn minutes on this team. Nate Wolters is the best player this program has ever had and to not capitalize on these last 2 years would be a waste. If we could have added 1 more post and one tough-minded athlete than this team would have been able to give ORU a run for their money next season.

That being said, I believe the coaches are very high on both Zach's. I think that Horstman in particular is going to do some very good things right out of the gate next season. He is an above average shooter and probably the best athlete on the team, he just needs to add some more muscle to that frame. Monaghan too looks to be a very good addition. Just not sure he will play next season because of amount of guards we have.

So there's my 2 cents, what are everyone else's thoughts?

Re: 2011-12 Rotation

I agree with your first lineup but I don't see anyone redshirting. With Wolters and Dyskstra, they barring injury or transfer will be the 2 best players SDSU has ever had. Let alone on the same team for 3 years together. I think SDSU can win with this line up. If we can't win with the 2 best players the program has ever seen, I dont think adding one more player would change where we can finish. It would look nice to half to bigger post a true center, but there are a lot of teams who would love to have the line up we do. Heemstra will decide how far this team goes. If he can log quaility minutes and stay out of foul trouble he will make a difference. Hope with baseball done summer work outs he is able to get some strength. I know a few years ago coach was not happy that he didnt think some of the players were ready for ball or in the best shape they could be. For some reason I dont see that being a problem with this team.

If we hit the 3, and rebound just a little bit better. We will be just fine. I am looking for dykstra to really blow people away this year. He had some awesome games last year and I feel most teams are going to gear to stop Nate, So Jordan will be the lethal dose that takes down most of our opponents. We lost a great athlet in Moss and a great Shooter in Sargent, but Sargent Struggled for the most part in the bigest games and tourny time. We gain more experince overall and a new Freshman in horstman who will be able to add that extra level like moss had and The other Zach I think will be a spittin image of Garret, and that sounds like a good addition to me. I am looking forward to the Summit Tourny for the next 3 years. these guys playing in SF the next few years could and IMHO should get us to the dance in 2 years.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell View Post
      How Marcus Heemstra develops is going to be huge for this team.
      I hate that there is so much pressure on the performance of one individual, but the reality is that Heemstra's play will dictate whether this team is above average or a true contender. With no depth added to the post game this off season, there really aren't a lot of options that can step up and give this team the inside presence it needs.

The good news is that Marcus has the ability to meet or exceed these expectations, as he is long and athletic and seems to have the mindset needed to be able to bang inside with the other teams' bigs, but he was just lacking the mass and the experience to do it last year. I believed when both Dykstra and Heemstra came in as freshman that Dykstra was more college ready but that Heemstra had the higher ceiling of the two, and I still believe this. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

As razor-thin as we are at center and power forward (only 3 - Fiegen,Dykstra,Heemstra),we all need to hope that none of those three lose any playing time due to injury,illness or other assorted problems. I know Griff played the 4 last year,but we will not get to the next level with a 6'5" power forward. He has the heart to do the job there,but it leads to too many defensive and rebounding problems,especially against teams with size.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
          I believed when both Dykstra and Heemstra came in as freshman that Dykstra was more college ready but that Heemstra had the higher ceiling of the two, and I still believe this. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
          Man...I don't know about this one. What exactly did Heemstra show last year that makes you believe he has the higher ceiling? When their 4 years are over, Heemstra will be considered as a solid role player at his best...Dykstra will be considered as an all-time great at SDSU.
          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
            Man...I don't know about this one. What exactly did Heemstra show last year that makes you believe he has the higher ceiling? When their 4 years are over, Heemstra will be considered as a solid role player at his best...Dykstra will be considered as an all-time great at SDSU.
            He showed that, like most true freshman, he wasn't ready to play post at the Division I level... but he did show toughness and aggressiveness around the basket and exceptional coordination for a kid his size.

The reason I feel Marcus has a higher ceiling than Dykstra is because he is taller and longer than Jordan, has incredibly good court vision that most bigs lack (watch him pass from the high post, it's really impressive), and has a good synergy between smoothness and toughness. It's important to remember also that Marcus played very limited ball during the AAU season because he played baseball as well, so he basically went from playing class A Iowa basketball to Division I post. The same isn't so with Dykstra, as he was being groomed to play Big 12 basketball since he was a freshman in high school, so it makes sense he would be more college ready coming in.

I don't want to turn this into a battle of who's better, because I think Dykstra is an exceptional talent, I just see a lot of potential in Heemstra.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

I don't know whether we will redshirt anybody either, but if it comes to that, it wouldn't surprise me to see Horstman doing the redshirt. I think Monagahn is going to come in more ready to play Division I basketball. It is, I agree, anybody's guess at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                He showed that, like most true freshman, he wasn't ready to play post at the Division I level... but he did show toughness and aggressiveness around the basket and exceptional coordination for a kid his size.

The reason I feel Marcus has a higher ceiling than Dykstra is because he is taller and longer than Jordan, has incredibly good court vision that most bigs lack (watch him pass from the high post, it's really impressive), and has a good synergy between smoothness and toughness. It's important to remember also that Marcus played very limited ball during the AAU season because he played baseball as well, so he basically went from playing class A Iowa basketball to Division I post. The same isn't so with Dykstra, as he was being groomed to play Big 12 basketball since he was a freshman in high school, so it makes sense he would be more college ready coming in.

I don't want to turn this into a battle of who's better, because I think Dykstra is an exceptional talent, I just see a lot of potential in Heemstra.
                I think we are all in agreement that it would be a huge plus if Heemstra came back for his Sophomore year and made a big impact. Likely? Who the hell knows? We could sure use it though.

Coaches talk a lot about the big jump college athletes make from their Frosh to Soph years. They are used to how everything work from their schedules, workouts, travelling, getting used to the system, and feeling more a part of the team. We have a number of talented players that will be Sophs this year (Heemstra, Dykstra, Carlson) and White who is a Soph in eligibility due to medical. If they make that jump then look out! Look at the jump Wolters took! Now, that was more than exceptional but if he is a team leader he will push everyone to get better. We will also have a new group of Freshman coming in but getting a lot out of one of them is rare.

We could use a couple more pieces to complete the puzzle but there is a lot of ammunition in the lineup we have now. I'm really excited about the next couple years!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                X