Former Jack Basketball player finally coming home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Jack Basketball player finally coming home

I am not sure what year Darrel Spinler graduated from SDSU, but I remember him as a role player on Jim Iverson's teams. The media guide states that he was a letterwinner 1958-60. I had no idea that he was missing action in action and unaccounted for until now. His remains were recently recovered and he will be buried in his home town of Browns Valley Minnesota. Here is a link from Minnesota NPR.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/dis...ldier-remains/
    Last edited by Nidaros; 06-09-2011, 07:46 PM.

Re: Former Jack Basketball player finally coming home

Here is another story from The MPLS Tribune:

http://www.startribune.com/local/123430569.html

Comment

Capt. Spinler was a 1960 grad. with a BS in HPER. He was on the Basketball team. SDSU has been aware of this story since back in March and will have representatives at his funeral.

I am very glad he has been recovered and is coming home.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit View Post
        Capt. Spinler was a 1960 grad. with a BS in HPER. He was on the Basketball team. SDSU has been aware of this story since back in March and will have representatives at his funeral.

I am very glad he has been recovered and is coming home.

Go State!
        Its very thoughtful that SDSU has a representative at his funeral. I know its impossible to do that for every alum, and this is a special person who has given his life for his country some time ago.

All these years of not knowing what happened to him has to be very much an ordeal for his two sons. They do know now and can give him a proper burial. The loss of this kind often takes its toll on parents, spouses and grandparents.

I remember Capt Spindler as very good basketball player. He had size for his time, I want to say he was some where between 6'4 to 6'6". Its been a long time since he played so my recollections are sketchy.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 06-09-2011, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Once a Jackrabbit, ALWAYS a Jackrabbit.

Thank you, Captain Spindler, for your service and sacrifice. I hope you can now finally rest in peace. And I hope we fellow Jackrabbits have made you proud of your alma mater.

May you always have the best seat in the house as you cheer on the Jacks.
          I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

My sentiments exactly.

Comment

Working...
            X