Scott Nagy Q & A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Nagy Q & A

The Collegian recently interviewed Scott Nagy, here's the link.

http://j.mp/kcTeGK

Re: Scott Nagy Q & A

Good Q&A and thanks for the link.

I like how Coach Nagy answered the spring recruiting question. Previous discussion on the topic here and in TV's live chats almost made it seem that the team was satisfied with what we had and that it wouldn't be that big a deal if we didn't add any players.

I think Coach summed it up when he said "It is everything".

Sure we would still have a good team next season without adding a body or two, but would we be good enough to win the conference?

And how would not adding a player or two this spring affect next season?

I can't stress enough that SDSU is in prime position to capitalize on having Nate Wolters the next two years and we need to go for the glory, not 2nd best.

Comment

Interesting. Obviously defense will be a continuing point of emphasis. Thanks for the link.
      This space for lease.

Comment

I'd still like to know if they have any offers out, any visits scheduled. However I must remember that all signs were that the coaches were going to try to keep it as quiet as possible when it came to recruits.

Comment

A couple of weeks ago or so, there were a number of you that made fun of a USD student for misspelling a word I believe on a YouTube post about our win against Minnesota last fall. There were a couple that just ripped the kid.

Well, in this article with Nagy, I found it interesting the writer wanted to get Coach Nagy's thoughs instead of thoughts. Easy enough error to make just like the kid from USD.

Regarding the article, Coach Nagy has apparently done a good job of building his program and getting better athletes for D-1. My question is that does he really believe he has to coach harder without as h=good of athletes? I honestly thought coaches (especially in basketball) have to coach their arses off all the time. I am not sure I agree with Coach Nagy on that point. Others thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
            A couple of weeks ago or so, there were a number of you that made fun of a USD student for misspelling a word I believe on a YouTube post about our win against Minnesota last fall. There were a couple that just ripped the kid.

Well, in this article with Nagy, I found it interesting the writer wanted to get Coach Nagy's thoughs instead of thoughts. Easy enough error to make just like the kid from USD.

Regarding the article, Coach Nagy has apparently done a good job of building his program and getting better athletes for D-1. My question is that does he really believe he has to coach harder without as h=good of athletes? I honestly thought coaches (especially in basketball) have to coach their arses off all the time. I am not sure I agree with Coach Nagy on that point. Others thoughts?
            What is "without as h=good of athletes"? If you mean is it harder to win with poor athletes (i.e., a lot harder on coaches) than with good athletes, I believe the answer is yes.

Comment

Don't you think that's just an example of "athletic-speak" not unlike someone being called upon to give 110%. Do you really give literal interpretation to all speech from those involved in athletics? Wasn't coach just making the point that there are special challenges involved?

Comment

I would view it like this. On the offensive end of the floor, if you have a playmaker like Nate or a post like Benson, it allowed the rest of the team to get open looks based off quick ball movement when they were double teamed. The same would go for any team that had a player or players that could consistently create their own shot and distribute when covered. When you are in that situation you aren't constantly trying to be creative and come up with scoring opps for your team as much as you let the game come to them.

Same way on the defensive end. We most likely had to coach much harder on the defensive end because of our lack of size in the middle. How many times did we say last year that our lack of pressure on 3 pointers was a result of sagging in on defense to protect the middle? How much easier do you think it was for Oakland to defend all areas of the court because they had their 2 bigs clogging up the middle not only for post defense but also to stop the penetration. They didn't have to be creative on the defensive end to get a stop because they had the athletic ability and size to man up and get it done.

I guarantee that during the Oakland games that Nagy had to coach much harder than Kampe did to get the "W" just because of those situtations I described above.

Comment

Are you talking about this thread....

http://sdsufans.com/board/showthread.php?t=11023

Wow! We really laid into that kid!!!!!

You must be talking about some other thread.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Before you throw stones you may want to proofread your own post.

Not sure what h=good athletes are.

Comment

I'm guessing here. but I think Nagy likes for his teams to run the game from the floor in most situations if possible. He runs a motion offense, few set plays and would rather the players see what play needs to be called. I think what he was referring to was when you don't have the D-I players you have to call plays every time down the floor, run sets and all of the scouting to figure out what sets work when.

When you are a D-I coach if you have the right players to run the floor game, you can focus your time on recruiting, scouting, and other factors rather then figuring out what sets will work when.

just a guess.....

Comment

Mods: Shouldn't this discussion be moved to the National Spelling Bee thread?

Comment

Working...
                        X