Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
    Interest

Carson Shanks
    Apple Valley(Prior Lake), MN 7'0 C 230lbs

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketb...-Shanks-119031

His uncle was a Jackrabbit

Comment

Re: 2013 Recruits....

For one season, then transfered north and tried to play for coach Wachs.
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
        His uncle was a Jackrabbit
        And hated basketball...

Comment

Originally posted by StefaniGermanotta View Post
          And hated basketball...
          I knew his uncle. i dont think he hated basketball. He just wasnt found of working hard and liked to drink beer alot. I dont see a problem with that.

Comment

Having an uncle who attended SDSU will not help us here. This kid apparently has size and talent, more than a program such as SDSU can recruit at this point in time. After all this was our first winning season since going D1 and we are still very much an unknown quanitity to the world of recruits. We need to repeat last years season and improve on the win record several more times before we start getting this kind of a recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
              Having an uncle who attended SDSU will not help us here. This kid apparently has size and talent, more than a program such as SDSU can recruit at this point in time. After all this was our first winning season since going D1 and we are still very much an unknown quanitity to the world of recruits. We need to repeat last years season and improve on the win record several more times before we start getting this kind of a recruit.
              Nidaros,

My friend, why do you got to be so negative?
              Did we or did we not get both Wolters and Dykstra during loosing seasons?

Have some faith my friend. have some faith.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bunnies View Post
                I knew his uncle. i dont think he hated basketball. He just wasnt found of working hard and liked to drink beer alot. I dont see a problem with that.
                He only played basketball because he was 7'3''

Comment

He wasn't 7'3". Trust me, I grew up with the family and know the younger Shank's father, uncles and aunt very well.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                    Nidaros,

My friend, why do you got to be so negative?
                    Did we or did we not get both Wolters and Dykstra during loosing seasons?

Have some faith my friend. have some faith.
                    Negative? More like being realistic. We been down the Shanks trail once before. Sure Wolters and Dysktra are good catches, but Nagy and Hansen had to work their butts off to get them to sign the LOI. I am not saying Nagy is not on the right track. He is going in the right direction. We need patience and if you one gets their hopes set high and there is a let down, well thats part of the game too.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 04-26-2011, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
                      He wasn't 7'3". Trust me, I grew up with the family and know the younger Shank's father, uncles and aunt very well.
                      I played a some ball against him and I agree, not 7'3". A little passive on the court, perhaps, of course so am I now that I'm old, slow and can't jump. Very nice people.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Negative? More like being realistic. We been down the Shanks trail once before. Sure Wolters and Dysktra are good catches, but Nagy and Hansen had to work their butts off to get them to sign the LOI. I am not saying Nagy is not on the right track. He is going in the right direction. We need patience and if you one gets their hopes set high and there is a let down, well thats part of the game too.

You're partly right. SDSU still needs to recruit these types of kids though. Why? Because what if they fall and their 'major' offers disappear because of an injury during their junior year? What happens then? Who want's a 7 footer with injury issues right?

Take for instance that USD was recruiting the kid throughout the entire process and he really liked the assistant coach, but he wasn't going to go to a school like USD or SDSU anyways. But after that injury (or maybe schools just went cold on him), the only few Division 1 offers are to USD and some other schools. Thankfully USD kept with him so when he fell he knew the coaching staff already and they were waiting with arms wide open.

This is an example that happens all the time. Kids wait and wait hoping for the major Div. 1 offer that they want, and when it doesn't come the other schools have already filled their spots or quit recruiting because he was out of their reach. Think Cole Brodie except that the SDSU football team wasn't recruiting him that long at all. But Cole fell down a level to SDSU because he waited too long. I met him on his recruiting visit and he told me so.

Another great example is Colton Iverson and Tim Miles. It doesn't relate to NDSU when Tim was there, but if Tim would have gave up on Colton because he wasn't going to NDSU he wouldn't have gotten him at Colorado State. You build relationships in recruiting. Also, what if Shanks has a youger brother or there's a 9th grader at his school that's a great player as well. By already having a relationship with that coach, you've already got your foot in the door when you start recruiting that player.

There's so many examples that you can talk about but completely giving up and moving on is not an option for this coaching staff. Especially if you're a mid-major. A player like Shanks can change a program and SDSU has to be waiting for that to happen. Is it likely? Absolutely not, but it will happen some day and it happens to the good coaches who work their butts off.
                        Last edited by SDSUAlum08; 04-26-2011, 09:56 AM.
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                        X