• Show
Clear All

• SDSU to Face Illini to open season

More on Nagy his background and views in the story go to:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...503250340/1002

SDSU to play Illini next season
    published: 03/25/05

SDSU to play Illini next season By Chris Solari csolari@argusleader.com

Scott Nagy watched Thursday's NCAA Tournament game between Illinois and Wisconsin-Milwaukee with special interest.

Not just because he grew up in Champaign, Ill., home of the top-ranked Fighting Illini. Nor was it a rooting interest from his time as a graduate assistant at the Big Ten university.

He was preparing for next season's first opponent.

The Jackrabbits will open the 2005-06 season against the Illini on Nov. 18. SDSU signed a one-game contract and will be paid to play at Illinois' Assembly Hall.

"I'm sure it was hard for them to get home games with the year they've had," Nagy said of the Illini, who are now 35-1 after defeating the Panthers on Thursday. "For us, it's a great recruiting tool when we talk to high school kids, and they can say, 'Wow, you're playing Illinois to start the year.'

"If we could play them every year, I'd like to."

The Jackrabbits will host Wisconsin-Milwaukee next year at Frost Arena, but the date has yet to be determined. The Panthers defeated SDSU 89-54 on Dec. 1, 2004, in Milwaukee before making a surprising run into the Sweet 16.

SDSU moved to Division I this year and will be required to play a minimum of 23 Division I opponents next season, most of which are already at least tentatively scheduled.

The veteran SDSU coach surmised that both Illinois and UW-Milwaukee could be ranked in next year's preseason Top 10.

"This is what we want," Nagy said. "We want to play the best people, and we're going to be a lot better next year."

Nice story Chris!

Re: Argus Leader Story today 3/25/2005

;D 8) ;D Outstanding! ;D 8) ;D I am now rooting for the Illini to win it all. It would be great to open the season with the defending National Champions!

Go State! ;D

Comment

Re: Argus Leader Story today 3/25/2005

This is how Gonzaga got their program to the point they are at now, by a willingness to go anywhere and play anyone. We will take our knocks, but the top kids will relish the opportunity. I have no doubt that when these D-1 teams like UWM come to Frost the place will be rocking again and that will carry the team and the program a long way. Fantastic!

Comment

Re: SDSU to Face Illini to open season

To be the best you have to beat the best.

To beat the best you have to play the best.

I'm a happy Rabbit this morning . . .
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I heard Thor on KSFY last night mention before showing the Illinois highlights that we were opening against them next year. Gotta love that!!

Comment

The Illini beat Louisville and are in the NCAA Finals.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Not NC :-[, but a tough opponent to start the next year on.
              Is is always a good day to ride.

Comment

OK, Illinois lost to Ohio State. SDSU beat Tennessee State. Anyone want to do the work of connecting these? It's fandom tradition that all you have to do to be able to predict victory over an opponent is to find a chain of victory leading to that opponent.

So, all you have to do is a chain of SDSU beat Tennessee State, Tennessee State beat A, A beat B... until you reach X beat Ohio State. Then, since OSU beat Illinois, you can predict that SDSU will beat Illinois.

Granted, this is a terrible method of predicting anything, but that has never stopped anyone before. But if SDSU comes out strong, it may surprise them and make them work a bit for the win.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentia
                  OK, Illinois lost to Ohio State.  SDSU beat Tennessee State.  Anyone want to do the work of connecting these?  It's fandom tradition that all you have to do to be able to predict victory over an opponent is to find a chain of victory leading to that opponent.

So, all you have to do is a chain of SDSU beat Tennessee State, Tennessee State beat A, A beat B... until you reach X beat Ohio State.  Then, since OSU beat Illinois, you can predict that SDSU will beat Illinois.

Granted, this is a terrible method of predicting anything, but that has never stopped anyone before.  But if SDSU comes out strong, it may surprise them and make them work a bit for the win.

If we stay within twenty i would be happy.  We can hope that Deron Williams and Dee Brown declare for the draft, it sounds as if Williams may for sure.  I don't think our inexperienced freshman guards would work well in that matchup  

I am pretty jazzed up about the game, i wish i could make the trip.  Even if we get blown out, it will be an amazing night for jackrabbit athletics.  I was rooting for Illinois to win the other night, but i am somewhat glad they lost.  Hopefully they will remember that and come out nice and angry next November.  ;D
                  We will definately find out what D1 basketball is about.
                  "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentia
                    OK, Illinois lost to Ohio State.  SDSU beat Tennessee State.  Anyone want to do the work of connecting these?  It's fandom tradition that all you have to do to be able to predict victory over an opponent is to find a chain of victory leading to that opponent.

So, all you have to do is a chain of SDSU beat Tennessee State, Tennessee State beat A, A beat B... until you reach X beat Ohio State.  Then, since OSU beat Illinois, you can predict that SDSU will beat Illinois.

Granted, this is a terrible method of predicting anything, but that has never stopped anyone before.  But if SDSU comes out strong, it may surprise them and make them work a bit for the win.
                    Here goes compliments to ESPN:
                    SDSU-Tennessee State 82-80 on 12/22 Tennessee State-Eastern Illinois 77-62 on 1/15

Eastern Illinois-Evansville 79-74 on 11/28 Evansville-Creighton 63-61 on 12/22

Creighton-Ohio State 65-63 on 11/24 Ohio State-Illinois 63-64 on 3/6

If you add it all up we would beat Illinois by 27. Not a bad way to start the year. ;D 8)

Comment

good work sfj. looks like we're in for a big upset next year in Illinois ;D

Comment

Actually they lost 5 of 11 players from their championship game team.

The team we will be playing next year will look like this:

6'0 GUARD DEE BROWN 13.3 POINTS/GAME
                        6'3 GUARD DERON WILLIAMS 12.5
                        6'10 FORWARD JAMES AUGESTINE 10.1
                        6'3 GUARD RICH MCBRIDE 2.6
                        6'9 FORWARD WARREN CARTER 2.2

OR

6'8 FORWARD SHAWN PRUITT 1.4

No doubt they have redshirted a couple of players.
                        No doubt they will have a couple good freshmen coming in.

Their team will be different.

So will ours!

Go Jacks!!

Comment

Working...
                        X