Late signing period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Late signing period

Lorenzo Riley just signed with the bison today.  Does anybody actually have information that the jacks were pursuing these two, or was it just hearsay/ assumed.  There's alot of good players in the Kansas city area that Nagy could be after besides these guys. I'm guessing that Nagy is looking to add another JUCO guard, plus another 6'8"-6'9" power forward/ center type player to add depth to the front court, and leaving the third scholarship open to a late impact get that something doesn't work out for later this summer.

Comment

Both reportedly did make visits to Brookings and both were ranked in the top 25 on Missouri Preps.

Comment

Both reportedly did make visits to Brookings and both were ranked in the top 25 on Missouri Preps.
        Thanks, I didn't know that. I can't really ever see us getting a decent 6'6-6'7 player for a few years. When Lorenzo riley went to NDSU he was probably promised a starting spot. When he came here he was probably saw he would be behind Beran, Gilbert, Holdren, Loney, etc. in the rotation, plus that kid from iowa thats coming in two years from now. I saw him play a few months ago, and the Jacks got a steal with him.

As for the guard, I'm not sure if Nagy would offer him a spot or not. It sounds like he was probably a little too slow for D-I ball. Maybe somebody can tell me that I'm wrong and Nagy did offer him, but I would guess that Nagy was recruiting a different player in Kansas city. There are still 4-5 decent JUCO guards available in the City that I know of.

Comment

Interesting note about White and Riley is neither made the Missouri Basketball Coaches Assn All-State teams. I think your right that immediate playing time at NDSU which Coach Miles verified was a deciding factor for Riley. I think the Juco route is the way to go for the remaining needs on the roster as we are very young at most positions. I agree from what I have heard about 2006 incoming recruit Thomas Bassett he will be a good player at the small forward position. I just hope he doesn't have too good a season next year and gets on the radar of more DI schools. In the interview I posted he was really sold on the coaches, players and atmosphere at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
            Interesting note about White and Riley is neither made the Missouri Basketball Coaches Assn All-State teams. I  think your right that immediate playing time at NDSU which Coach Miles verified was a deciding factor for Riley. I think the Juco route is the way to go for the remaining needs on the roster as we are very young at most positions. I agree from what I have heard about 2006 incoming recruit Thomas Bassett he will be a good player at the small forward position. I just hope he doesn't have too good a season next year and gets on the radar of more DI schools. In the interview I posted he was really sold on the coaches, players and atmosphere at SDSU.
            We have plenty of young talent that needs to be developed. The JUCO route is definitely the right one. We need to find a point guard with some experience in the transition game and good offensive skills. I think Nagy can motivate almost anyone to play defense (except Green and the other kid from Iowa whose name I have already forgot). Another frontcourt player comfortable with his back to the basket with some shot blocking skills would be nice too. Thats probably asking too much.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think Wenig was the Iowa kid you were referring too who certainly was a defensive liability. Hopefully incoming Juco recruit Berte can provide some defense and shot blocking. Based on his offensive stats in college he was not brought in to generate offense. I think we have plenty of potential scorers. A Juco point guard and strong post player would compliment the roster well.

Comment

Jake Wenig, that was the young man's name. Great potential as a shooter/scorer but slow feet and now jumping ability. Could have made up for that with tenacious attitude but it wasn't there. As for Green, he was on again and off again, I think that strained his relationship with Nagy.

All part of the past now. Looking forward to some more signings later this spring.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

In regards to Joe's defense, I think one of the deciding factors with his defense was his ankles. When he was playing good defense, they weren't taped so he was able to move his feet and jump.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                    Interesting note about White and Riley is neither made the Missouri Basketball Coaches Assn All-State teams. I  think your right that immediate playing time at NDSU which Coach Miles verified was a deciding factor for Riley. I think the Juco route is the way to go for the remaining needs on the roster as we are very young at most positions. I agree from what I have heard about 2006 incoming recruit Thomas Bassett he will be a good player at the small forward position. I just hope he doesn't have too good a season next year and gets on the radar of more DI schools. In the interview I posted he was really sold on the coaches, players and atmosphere at SDSU.

In all honesty, i think these are pretty big setbacks to the program. I would assume that Nagy saying we are hoping to sign one or possibly two more that these two were a big part of that. I'm not saying either of these two can't be replaced but i think both were desired by us. This late in the spring it may be difficult to get a fast track on recruiting anyone, and we may be to the stage where we hope somebody falls to us much like Gilbert did last summer.
                    And then to lose one of them to NDSU what a slap in the face. I can understand if the White kid wanted to stay closer to home and attend Drury, but going to NDSU for basketball over SDSU has to open some eyes. They have less tradition, worse facilities, and are in the same conference/eligibilty mess as us right now. Maybe i'm blowing this up too much, who knows, i guess we will see come winter.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I think you might be. Have faith in Coach Nagy, he knows what he is doing.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                        I think you might be.  Have faith in Coach Nagy, he knows what he is doing.

Go State!  ;D
                        Ditto, and what we dont know is who is still out there to be signed and how they will fit the program. Coaches have to live with these decisions, and sometimes they always dont get their first choice. They do have to make the right choices as their job depends on it. What we dont know is how each individual will fit in the team network, the campus network and the academic network. Obviously we know now that Green and Wennig were not a good fit, but did we know that two years ago? ???

Comment

It does appear we have lost some basketball recruits to NDSU this year ie. Sam Sussenguth, Josh Vaughan and now Riley. I have an easier time understanding losing football recruits, but basketball seems to sting a little more as we certainly have many advantages including tradition, facilities and coaching. It would be interesting to know what factors contributes to a recruit choosing NDSU over SDSU. I have to figure proxmity to home, majors offered and potential playing time are high on the list of reasons. Fargo certainly offers more of a city enviroment than Brookings and that may factor in. I imagine Nagy and Larson have a prioritized list of target recruits and if one goes elsewhere than we move on to the next one.

Comment

Or it could be as simple as NDSU "wants" them more then we do. It is hard to say where these players were on SDSU's and NDSU's "prioritized list".

Case in point is a story from the Ottumwa Courier about one of the kids we did get.

http://www.ottumwacourier.com/site/n...5220&rfi=6

Walker signs at Denver

By: SCOTT JACKSON, Courier sports writer 04/21/2005

DaShawn Walker didn't have to look far to see his new head coach next year.

Fact is, he saw it every time he walked past the team photos of Indian Hills' first two NJCAA national basketball championship teams.

In that picture was former Warrior head coach Terry Carroll, who led IHCC to back-to-back titles from 1996-98. Carroll now is heading up a college basketball team on the rise in the University of Denver, the school chosen by Walker after signing his national letter of intent with the school on Wednesday. . . .

Walker was one of two Warriors to sign their letter of intents as center Mohamed Berte followed suite in cinching up his future. Berte, the Arnold Black Memorial Scholarship winner this year, will continue his career on and off the court at South Dakota State next year.

"In every other place I looked, I was the fourth or fifth guy on their list," Berte said after choosing SDSU over Northern Iowa and Wisconsin-Green Bay. "At South Dakota State, I was the top guy they wanted in recruiting." . . .

Go State! ;D

Comment

Berte, meanwhile, heads to a program that will begin playing on the division I level of NCAA basketball for the first time next season. Because of that, Berte and his new teammates will be tested with a brutal schedule that begins with national runner-up Illinois.

Tests on the court, however, are nothing compared to some of the off-court tests Berte has passed in his two years at Indian Hills.

"He's had so much bad luck in two years," Martin said. "He was behind getting to the school late as a freshman, had to struggle with a stress fracture in his leg prior to this year that sidelined him for a while."

"I don't think he was ever 100 percent physically this past year, but he wants to play the game so badly," Martin added. "It's great that he gets to keep playing basketball and continue his education."

Berte's goals at South Dakota State are very simple ones for next year.

"They want me in for my defense and I'll also be looking to work on my jump shot."

Other quotes on Berte.

Comment

Spring signing period ends May 18th. There are a lot of good high school and junior college prospects still uncommitted. I assume our coaches are pounding the streets, working the phones and hosting recruits. If Joe Green is no longer with the team that would open up another slot.

Comment

Working...
                                X