Final Thoughts on Summit Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Thoughts on Summit Tournament

So I have a bunch of random thoughts on the tournament so instead of thread drifts, here is a thread to drift about anything from the tournament.

1. I would really miss this tournament in Sioux Falls. The only thing to benefit it moving would be my checkbook. But if it went to Detroit (or where ever) that would significantly hurt the checkbook if we decided to go. The Sports Authority can't screw this bid up. With USD being eligible to play postseason the first year of the next contract, it's truly a no-brainer. The corporate sponsorship will likely get larger, the crowds, etc. The only thing that could screw this up is a really stupid, greedy bid by the Spots Authority or the ancient arena (see Douple's comments in todays Argus).

2. Terry Vandrovec's coverage is simply second to none. Go take a long vacation after the SDSU women bow out of the dance. You deserve it man.

3. After watching the Big Sky tournament on tv last night, this league is kicking their @ss in talent. I know it's one game on tv versus the many games I've seen in person, but if SDSU couldn't beat either of those two teams 5 out of 10 times, I'd be shocked. OU and ORU would pummel them.

4. Jacks band, cheerleaders and dance team need to continue to do some homework. Yes, it's spring break, but it wouldn't matter if they had a full ensemble of people, they would still look inadequate compared to the best ones there.

5. It doesn't take nearly as much effort to get Jacks fans up and yelling in Sioux Falls. Get it going during the regular season more. And if the student section had as loud and active section as the 20 ORU students who were at the tournament, maybe it would entice kids to quit acting bored and texting during games and yell. Make Frost a hated place to play! The noise in the arena is only a start.

6. I am picking Oakland to win a game in my tournament bracket. I didn't pick them to beat Pitt last year and they were never in that game, but they are a really good team, even better than last year. I would be disappointed if I were them if they didn't get a 12 seed or better. Jacks women are a long shot to win a game, but staying away from the top 4 teams in the country would be nice. They are rolling and have really cut down on the turnovers, but I think once again the guard play against the high level schools is going to show the biggest weakness again.

7. There is some great talent coming back to the league next year. It should be a fun watch.

8. New arena Sioux Falls!

Re: Final Thoughts on Summit Tournament

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
    So I have a bunch of random thoughts on the tournament so instead of thread drifts, here is a thread to drift about anything from the tournament.

1. I would really miss this tournament in Sioux Falls. The only thing to benefit it moving would be my checkbook. But if it went to Detroit (or where ever) that would significantly hurt the checkbook if we decided to go. The Sports Authority can't screw this bid up. With USD being eligible to play postseason the first year of the next contract, it's truly a no-brainer. The corporate sponsorship will likely get larger, the crowds, etc. The only thing that could screw this up is a really stupid, greedy bid by the Spots Authority or the ancient arena (see Douple's comments in todays Argus).

2. Terry Vandrovec's coverage is simply second to none. Go take a long vacation after the SDSU women bow out of the dance. You deserve it man.

3. After watching the Big Sky tournament on tv last night, this league is kicking their @ss in talent. I know it's one game on tv versus the many games I've seen in person, but if SDSU couldn't beat either of those two teams 5 out of 10 times, I'd be shocked. OU and ORU would pummel them.

4. Jacks band, cheerleaders and dance team need to continue to do some homework. Yes, it's spring break, but it wouldn't matter if they had a full ensemble of people, they would still look inadequate compared to the best ones there.

5. It doesn't take nearly as much effort to get Jacks fans up and yelling in Sioux Falls. Get it going during the regular season more. And if the student section had as loud and active section as the 20 ORU students who were at the tournament, maybe it would entice kids to quit acting bored and texting during games and yell. Make Frost a hated place to play! The noise in the arena is only a start.

6. I am picking Oakland to win a game in my tournament bracket. I didn't pick them to beat Pitt last year and they were never in that game, but they are a really good team, even better than last year. I would be disappointed if I were them if they didn't get a 12 seed or better. Jacks women are a long shot to win a game, but staying away from the top 4 teams in the country would be nice. They are rolling and have really cut down on the turnovers, but I think once again the guard play against the high level schools is going to show the biggest weakness again.

7. There is some great talent coming back to the league next year. It should be a fun watch.

8. New arena Sioux Falls!
    I was reading the ORU board and it stated that the ORU beat writer said in an interview that the Sioux Fall bid provides 5 times the guaranteed money that the other bids do. Unless another city does something majorly different,Sioux Falls will be impossible to turn down. And like you said,adding USD should allow them to make the bid even stronger.

Comment

I would like to see the Summit spend some money on a little half time entertainment. Nothing the entire tournament. Bring in the Alexandria kids or something of the sort. I know it was probably to get people out of their seats and to the concession stands.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        I would like to see the Summit spend some money on a little half time entertainment. Nothing the entire tournament. Bring in the Alexandria kids or something of the sort. I know it was probably to get people out of their seats and to the concession stands.
        Wow, I honestly didn't even notice there was no half time entertainment until I saw this post. Count me as one person that didn't miss it I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
          Wow, I honestly didn't even notice there was no half time entertainment until I saw this post. Count me as one person that didn't miss it I guess.
          Agreed...save the money on some lame halftime entertainment....buy duct tape to keep things plugged in..... I get somewhat embarrassed when attempts at halftime entertainment are made and you have to bury your hands in your face because it is usually so schlockey or bass ackwards.
          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
            Agreed...save the money on some lame halftime entertainment....buy duct tape to keep things plugged in..... I get somewhat embarrassed when attempts at halftime entertainment are made and you have to bury your hands in your face because it is usually so schlockey or bass ackwards.
            Why not some of the half time shows SDSU use to get, the crazy gymnastics flipping kids, I dont remember what its called, but there were always great. I was more thinking to pass time between games, 45 minutes to wait is a long time to stand in the consessions waiting for the next game to start. take a few minutes give something fun for the fans. outside dance groups or juggling magician acts or something for a few minutes atleast and still allow enough time for teams to have warm ups.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Are there any final attendance numbers for the tournament out?

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                Are there any final attendance numbers for the tournament out?
                Men's Quarterfinals
                1st session (games 1 & 2):3714
                2nd session (games 3 & 4): 6436

Men's Semis: 5676

Men's Championship: 2105

Total Men's Attendence: 17,931

Comment

Working...
                X