Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland: Summit Semi-Finals

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Your right about benson, dude can't take any contact or its a foul. Most be nice having 3 extra players protecting a guy who is good enough for the NBA. You look at him wrong and he would get the foul. It was sad watching officals treat him that way. I lost a lot repsect for summit officals in this tourny.....not like I had much repsect for them in the first place.
    Meh. That's the way it is. Wolters probably gets some calls, and he is going to get a ton next year and especially when he is a senior. Woodside used to get calls. The best players usually get the benefit of the doubt from officials.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

It's amazing to watch a game like that and then see that when they played NDSU in Michigan it was something like 71-69. The Jacks just need to be able to beat on people a little more and not give up so many stinking second chance points (14-0 in the 1st half).

Does Hamilton really need to be talking trash when he hits a 3 when they're up by 18? He's good, but come on man. UMKC were fools for not punishing him with the 2 year sit out rule. He wouldn't be in Oakland if they would have implemented that.

I would rag on Sargent, but I'll leave it alone. JD and World are the future. If Nagy can find a real "5", I can't see how we can't be pretty enthused with having these two guys to watch in the coming years. It will be sad if World can't get these men to the dance in the next two years. He's a special kid.

Oral Roberts is good and rolling. I detest Duck Morrison and his whining and drama, but that guy has such good control in the air when he's in the lane. And until last night I never realized what a good defender he is. He shut down Nobles for the first 33 minutes of that game until they kind of let him burn them up toward the end, but IUPUI was never really in that game in the 2nd half.

I think Oakland's run at the top of the Summit League is done after this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see ORU win tonight, but just like last year it was Jones' time, it's Benson's time to shine.

Oakland 86
      Oral Roberts 77

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        wow. Oakland was for real, the team isn't your typical mid-major either. Its an athletic team, that shoots good and o yeah they have a 6-11 center who will probably get drafted. if your a fan of a major school you don't want to see Oakland in your bracket.

I think the fact that SDSU doesn't have a true 5 really showed tonight but then again when a team was shooting as hot as OU was it didn't really matter.

As far as the Jacks, the underclassmen played really well, Chad White showed what he could do, I had 71 of the 90 points from underclassmen. (44 from freshman)

I wasn't going to go tonight (I'm under the weather a bit) but I remember passing on a chance to see Mike Miller in hight school and didn't want to do the same with Keith Benson. Well I'm glad I went, the Jacks played good but that Oakland team was fun to watch, if you are in Sioux Falls tomorrow and haven't been to a game this weekend I'd recommend you show up, its really good basketball being played.
        What bugged me was I felt several of those 3s oak made were well defended. The rest we sagged inside which left them a lot of good looks. I don't want to sound like I am making excuses, but if They had a few 3s rim out and we made a few more, we swap 3 pointers made. Its a completely different game. losing by 20 hurts, but really just a couple shots each way were the difference in a game that looked worse then what I feel it really was.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

What bugged me was I felt several of those 3s oak made were well defended. The rest we sagged inside which left them a lot of good looks. I don't want to sound like I am making excuses, but if They had a few 3s rim out and we made a few more, we swap 3 pointers made. Its a completely different game. losing by 20 hurts, but really just a couple shots each way were the difference in a game that looked worse then what I feel it really was.
          And that is the difference between a powerhouse team and an up-and-coming one. The Jacks needed every shot to fall (play perfect) and have Oakland miss (play poorly) to win that game last night.

Oakland is just a better team at this point. The first two meetings I really feel like Oakland wasn't firing on all cylinders and we gave them a run. When that team is on, there isn't a team in the Summit that should be able to get within 15 points of them.

That being said, I hope OU moves on into the tournament and makes some noise in the Big Dance. They are our best shot right now..
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Goon, were you at the game aganist Oakland? I am just curious because sitting there it felt like a 40 POINT BLOWOUT, that said on the scoreboard that we only lost by 20. Everytime we cut the lead to 12 pts they took a timeout, (keep crowd out) refocused, and scored 8 pts in like 20 seconds. They did the same thing to ORU got up early lead by 20 cut to 2 pts and went on a 30-8 run aganist ORU.

Oakland is a minimum of 15 points better than anyone in the league. Defense by ORU, IUPUI and Oakland is so much more physical and quicker than the other teams, they are basically fighting out there for everything from position to rebounds. It is Streetball with officials. I love it. We have never had a player on SDSU play total denial defense for an entire game. BADER played denial defense on Morrision the whole game. Didn't care where the ball was at, and all he worried about was getting through picks and screens and denying the ball 100%. That is not easy to do. DEFENSE< DEFENSE<DEFENSE.

It however is true a 20 point lose is 5 more baskets per half, doesn't seem like a lot and a few misses and a few more baskets!

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
              Goon, were you at the game aganist Oakland? I am just curious because sitting there it felt like a 40 POINT BLOWOUT, that said on the scoreboard that we only lost by 20. Everytime we cut the lead to 12 pts they took a timeout, (keep crowd out) refocused, and scored 8 pts in like 20 seconds. They did the same thing to ORU got up early lead by 20 cut to 2 pts and went on a 30-8 run aganist ORU.

Oakland is a minimum of 15 points better than anyone in the league. Defense by ORU, IUPUI and Oakland is so much more physical and quicker than the other teams, they are basically fighting out there for everything from position to rebounds. It is Streetball with officials. I love it. We have never had a player on SDSU play total denial defense for an entire game. BADER played denial defense on Morrision the whole game. Didn't care where the ball was at, and all he worried about was getting through picks and screens and denying the ball 100%. That is not easy to do. DEFENSE< DEFENSE<DEFENSE.

It however is true a 20 point lose is 5 more baskets per half, doesn't seem like a lot and a few misses and a few more baskets!
              Yes I was, I felt we were just a few baskets here and there that rimmed out, Oakland was just lights out. I dont like taht in the tournament some games officals let teams play physical and during the season some games its impossible to even look at a guy otherwise its a foul. I am not just saying that for SDSU, but I feel most teams had a hard time adjusting to the difference in the officiating. Most of those teams, Oakland, IUPUl ORU, have a lot of whiners on them also. I did not think the other teams, SUU, UMKC, the XDSU and such did not respond and whine constantly to officials. Maybe its my bias, but I was impressed how easy there were able to score against us, yet struggled with their shot with ORU, Inside it was maybe easier on them to score on us, but outside they were hot even if we had tight D on them. They missed several open shots in the final that agianst us they did not miss.

There are not many other teams who can put points on oakland like we did, so I felt the game was closer then the final score. We had chances to get it to single digits. Oru did and still could have lost by 20, so I think we saw 2 teams scoring no matter what the defense tried to do.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
              X