• Show
Clear All

• SDSU signs N.Y. native

SDSU signs N.Y. native
    CHRIS SOLARI
    csolari@argusleader.com
    Published: 05/26/05
    http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...47/1002/SPORTS

Jose Frias went a lot of places and a long way from home to reach his dream of playing Division I basketball.

Frias signed a Letter of Intent on Wednesday to play for Scott Nagy and the South Dakota State men's basketball team next season.

A 6-foot-1, 185-pound New York City native, Frias did not play in college last season and will have two years of eligibility remaining.

"It worked out, because I am a Division I player. It was just a matter of how the chips fell," 23-year-old Frias said. "(The Jackrabbits) have a real young team, and I consider myself a veteran, a leader."

In its first Division I season, SDSU went 10-18 in 2004-05, the school's worst record since ending the 1989-90 season 8-19. The Jacks competed in some of their games at the new level but struggled with a limited amount of guards, something that Nagy said he never wants to endure again.

"Jose is seasoned," Nagy said. "He's different than the other kids that we have. We only have one guard - Andy Kleinjan - who has been with us for more than one year. This guy (Frias) gives us some age that we need, some experience."

Frias graduated in 2002 from Hyde School in Woodstock, Conn., where he scored 1,037 career points. He said he went to the prep school to improve his grades before college.

Frias went to NAIA Division II school Maine-Fort Kent in the 2002-03 school year before leaving for California, where he enrolled at Allen Hancock Community College in Santa Monica. For Hancock in the 2003-04 season, he averaged 11 points, five assists and 2.8 steals per game for a 15-13 team.

Frias said he moved home to New York City to be with his mother, who was sick at the time. In the interim, he has been playing in leagues around the Big Apple.

"He's from the streets of New York - he's always been tested," said Rich Hughes, Frias' coach at Hancock. "Every time he plays there, he's always getting competition. It's good for him, because that's where his bravado comes from. He's not cocky, but he's very sure of himself."

Frias is the fifth player to sign with the Jacks. The others are 6-8 forward Mohamed Berte, who is transferring from Indian Hills Community College in Iowa; 6-10 forward Robert Bilitz from West Lutheran High in Plymouth, Minn; 6-10 forward Mark Engen from Red Rock Central High in Lamberton, Minn.; and 6-foot Canadian guard Cam Hornby from Winnipeg.

Men's Basketball Adds JC Point Guard

05/25/2005
    Men's Basketball Adds JC Point Guard
    http://www.gojacks.com/

South Dakota State has signed another point guard to a letter of intent, indicating he will enroll at SDSU and participate in the Jackrabbit men’s basketball program.

Joining the Jackrabbits next season will be Jose Frias (free-as), a New York city native who played at Allen Hancock Community College in Santa Monica, Ca.

Frias averaged 11 points, 5 assists and 2.8 steals per game for a 15-13 JC team in the 2003-04 season. He did not play during the past season, and will have two years of eligibility remaining.

Frias is a 2002 graduate of the Hyde School in Woodstock, Conn., where he scored 1,037 career points. He is the son of Jose Frias, Sr., and Mercedes Michel

Frias becomes the fifth player to sign with the Jacks. Earlier signees were:
    Mohamed Berte (ber-TAY), 6-8, 215, College Adventiste High School, Abidjan, Ivory Coast, who is transferring from Indian Hills Community College in Ottumwa, Iowa;
    Robert Bilitz, 6-10, 200, West Lutheran HS, from Plymouth, MN;
    Mark Engen, 6-10, 200, Red Rock Central HS, from Lamberton, MN;
    Cam Hornby (horn-bee), 6-0, 180, Glenlawn Collegiate HS, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

South Dakota State played its first season as a member of NCAA Division I during 2004-05. Next season, SDSU will have at least 13 home games with 12 of those against Division I competition.

Scott Nagy has completed ten seasons as head coach at SDSU, and has a 220-77 career mark. The Jacks were 10-18 last season when they played 17 of their 28 games on the road, 15 of the road games against Division I competition.

Comment

Re: SDSU signs N.Y. native

Originally posted by Kid Dakota
      SDSU signs N.Y. native
      CHRIS SOLARI
      csolari@argusleader.com
      Published: 05/26/05
      http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...47/1002/SPORTS
      . . .
      Frias said he moved home to New York City to be with his mother, who was sick at the time. In the interim, he has been playing in leagues around the Big Apple.

"He's from the streets of New York - he's always been tested," said Rich Hughes, Frias' coach at Hancock. "Every time he plays there, he's always getting competition. It's good for him, because that's where his bravado comes from. He's not cocky, but he's very sure of himself."
      . . .
      Looks like some good ol' fashioned street ball is coming to a Frost Arena near you.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Should be fun to watch Frias and Gilbert tearing up Frost ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
          Should be fun to watch Frias and Gilbert tearing up Frost ;D
          I hope these two can play as well as a pair we had in the past. Turn the clock back 20 years to 1985 for the duo of Derick Wordlaw and Arvis Young, those two could play. Anyone here remember Arvis running the baseline and, Wordlaw lobbing the ball towards the basket, and Arvis going over the top of the defense for a slam!

I'm looking forward to some exciting play from our newcomers and returning players this coming season.

Comment

Working...
          X