• Show
Clear All

• Argus Story 06/3/05  "SDSU Schedules the Gophers"

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...506030335/1002

Gophers on SDSU basketball schedule
    CHRIS SOLARI
    csolari@argusleader.com

Published: 06/3/05

It has been more than 20 years since South Dakota State's men's basketball team met Minnesota on the court.

That long layoff will end in December, when the Jackrabbits head to Williams Arena in Minneapolis for the first of a four-game contract with the Gophers that runs through the 2008-09 season.

"It's healthy for them, and it's healthy for us," Gophers Athletic Director Joel Maturi said last week. "As a BCS conference member institution, we're conscious of that. We want to, what we say is, do the right thing - to share the exposure of Big Ten athletics and provide schools like South Dakota State the opportunity to generate some revenue."

SDSU will play a full Division I basketball slate in the 2005-06 season, and Scott Nagy has already crafted a grueling schedule.

The Jackrabbits - who went 10-18 in their transitional debut to Division I - will open at NCAA runner-up Illinois, also of the Big Ten, on Nov. 18. They return to Frost Arena for four games, including one against Sweet 16 team Wisconsin-Milwaukee on Dec. 6.

SDSU also will play a road game at Nebraska on Dec. 8, while hosting Manhattan on Dec. 20 at the Arena in Sioux Falls.

"I think if we're going to play in Division I, we need to try and play the best schedule," said Nagy, who is 220-77 in his 10 years at SDSU. "It's easy to schedule bottom-feeder teams and schedule wins. But right now, it benefits our recruiting. Kids see we're playing those games (like Minnesota) and get excited about that.

"If the kids are, I know the fans are, and they should be."

Athletic Director Fred Oien would not reveal the guarantee amount that SDSU would be paid to play the games, although The Fargo Forum reported that North Dakota State will receive $35,000 for each of a two-game deal that the Bison signed with the Gophers a few weeks ago. NDSU will play at Williams Arena on Nov. 18 this year and again in 2007.

None of the SDSU-Minnesota games in the next four years will be in South Dakota.

"In all scheduling, whether you're scheduling in the transition or whatever, there is a pecking order in where you go and play," Oien said. "That's just college athletics."

The Gophers earned a spot in the NCAA Tournament this year for the first time since 1999, losing to Iowa State in the first round. They went 21-11 under Dan Monson, the school's first 20-win season since 1992-93.

Games against big-name schools like Minnesota, Illinois and Nebraska could put SDSU in a better light with recruits. Redshirt freshmen Matt Cadwell and Andre Gilbert are both from the Twin Cities area, while sophomore-to-be Steve Holdren is from Champaign, Ill., home of the Illini.

"My coaches told me when I was ready to commit (to SDSU) that they were going to try and get some big teams on the schedule," Holdren said. "This year, we've got two Big Ten teams, and I'm looking forward to it."

Reach Chris Solari at 977-3923.

Re: Argus Story 06/3/05  "SDSU Schedules

Filbert's Master Plan for D-I Basketball Success:

Step 1: Move to D-I.
    Step 2: Get on the schedule of big-time programs.
    Step 3: Build the program and maybe steal a game or two against the big names.
    Step 4: Recruit, recruit, recruit. Promote, promote, promote.
    Step 5: Become a "dangerous" program for big names to schedule as we gradually move up the RPI ratings.
    Step 6: Make it impossible for the Missouri Valley Conference to ignore us. Beating MVC teams consistently would do it. (See steps 2,3,4,5).

We're to Step 2 (our women are to Step 3). Go Rabbits!

"I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
    X