Marquette changes nickname again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marquette changes nickname again

We played them last year as the Golden Eagles, some may remember them as the Warriors, this coming season when we play them they will be the Marquette Gold.

http://www.gomarquette.com/index.php...ange_well_id=2

Marquette “Gold” Selected as New Athletics Nickname

May 4, 2005 - The Marquette University Board of Trustees announced today that the new athletics nickname will be the Marquette “Gold.” This name was chosen for its unique blending of the university’s old and new athletics traditions, and was one of the names suggested during nickname discussions in both 1994 and 2004. The change will be effective on July 1, 2005, when Marquette enters the Big East Conference.  .  .  .

Whatever they call themselves, I am looking forward to the game.

Go State!  ;D

Re: Marquette changes nickname again

IMO I would rather be the Golden Eagles then the Gold. Gold is a color not a mascot.

Comment

It doesn't matter what the board of trustees announces, the student section at the game last year was chanting, "Let's go Warriors."  I'll bet they'll love being the Gold.
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

As both a Jacks alum and a Warrior alum, I have to say the "Gold" is the worst nickname I've ever heard of. To say that it's not going over well in the Brew City would be to severly understate it. Lead article in today's paper and lead story in most newscasts. Just a joke.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

However, when Marquette does idiotic moves like this, it makes me feel better about my choice to give SDSU donations and not Marquette.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

(I know the answer but it's so much fun to ask the question

What was the problem with "Warriors" in the first place?
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Another question: What was wrong with the Golden Eagles?

Says in the press release that the "Golden Eagles" nickname hasn't generated a great deal of pride among alumni. And "Gold" will?

Comment

Originally posted by OK_Jackrabbit
                Another question: What was wrong with the Golden Eagles?

Says in the press release that the "Golden Eagles" nickname hasn't generated a great deal of pride among alumni. And "Gold" will?

My sentiments exactly.  How is a precious medal suppose to generate more pride than a raptor that is at the top of the food chain?

I don't get it.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

We all know why these ridiculous name changes happen. Replacing the Golden Eagles with Chickens would be most appropriate in this case.

Comment

The board of trustees is having an emergency meeting today to discuss the backlash from the name change. The Journal Sentinal did an online survey with over 10,000 people voting. 95% were against the nickname "gold". Of the 5% who were for it, it is reported most of them are UW Badger alums who are getting a kick out of Marquette's problems.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

My sentiments exactly.  How is a precious medal suppose to generate more pride than a raptor that is at the top of the food chain?

I don't get it.
                      Maybe they're just trying to advise people/alumni to invest their money in Gold...

Comment

The trustees just decided to do away with "Gold" as a nickname. They are going to form a committee to come up with a future nickname. The only thing for certain is that it will not be the Warriors.

Comment

That has to be the shortest lived nickname of all time.

Comment

I'm kinda partial to the name "The Buzzards." I believe there is only one other team with that name (and they are way down thar in Georgia)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JBNJBQ

Comment

We will be bringing those buzzards to South Dakota in October.

So, it would be smart to hide your women and children. : ;D ;D :-*

Comment

Working...
                              X