ChannelSurfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ChannelSurfing

Guys, every single men's game thread I see talk about whether or not the game is on channelsurfing or not, and it seems like a lot of our games are this year.

I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of something:

Channelsurfing steals content from schools. By watching games on Channelsurfing instead of paying to watch on GoJacks.com you are stealing from SDSU.

I admit to watching a few myself. I also subscribe to Jackrabbit Extra, and if the game isn't on I will check channelsurfing, so this isn't a holier than thou post.

Just about everybody on this board claims to be SDSU supporters. If you can, spend the $40 and subscribe to Jackrabbit Extra for 4 months.

I have to say the video quality has been pretty good for the most part this year. All the home games are shown so you don't have to worry about missing a game due to weather. The schedule lists video for the upcoming SUU and Western Illinois games. UMKC was on last night, and Central Michigan was on earlier this year. Many of the women's road games are also on.

So in summary, if you can afford it sign up for Jackrabbit Extra. It has been a decent service so far this year, and is a relatively inexpensive way to support SDSU and watch the Jackrabbits.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: ChannelSurfing

Here's a link to sign up:

https://www.nmnathletics.com/Premium...B_OEM_ID=15000
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

With Big Brother set to take over the content we view on the internet especially when it comes to copyrighted material and the pressure from ESPN, Channelsurfings days could be numbered.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        I have to say the video quality has been pretty good for the most part this year. All the home games are shown so you don't have to worry about missing a game due to weather. The schedule lists video for the upcoming SUU and Western Illinois games. UMKC was on last night, and Central Michigan was on earlier this year. Many of the women's road games are also on.

I wish I would have checked to see if UMKC game was on Jackrabbit Extra. I have the year subscription but chose to buy the UMKC feed last night without even checking. Good to see the SUU one on tomorrow though hopefully.

For home games, I think the video quality has been very good with Emming as the play-by-play.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
          With Big Brother set to take over the content we view on the internet especially when it comes to copyrighted material and the pressure from ESPN, Channelsurfings days could be numbered.
          All Channelsurfing does, though, is aggregate links to streams that originate with individuals who could be anywhere. The copyright infringers are the people who are redirecting the streams. If channelsurfing disappears, somebody else will start aggregating the links. And if the authorities go after the people who are redirecting the streams, somebody else will do it.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            All Channelsurfing does, though, is aggregate links to streams that originate with individuals who could be anywhere. The copyright infringers are the people who are redirecting the streams. If channelsurfing disappears, somebody else will start aggregating the links. And if the authorities go after the people who are redirecting the streams, somebody else will do it.
            Not sure if you're suggesting channelsurfing or others who redirect streams avoid copyright protections...I don't think they do.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post

Exactly. That is the beauty of the internet. In my opinion, anyways.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I don't really care about the technology or legality of channelsurfing. I've used it when games aren't available on Jackrabbit Extra.

I'm sure there are some people who can't afford the $40, but if you can and are still going to channelsurfing instead of paying SDSU, you aren't doing any favors to SDSU (the school that you claim to support).

Comment

I don't really care about the technology or legality of channelsurfing. I've used it when games aren't available on Jackrabbit Extra.

I'm sure there are some people who can't afford the $40, but if you can and are still going to channelsurfing instead of paying SDSU, you aren't doing any favors to SDSU (the school that you claim to support).
                  So if someone offers you free tickets to an SDSU game would you use them? If you do, aren't you stealing from SDSU since you didn't purchase your own from the ticket office? I can't say that I agree with any part of your statement...and yes I do support SDSU via the purchase of season tickets (BB) and whatever donation I can afford.
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                    So if someone offers you free tickets to an SDSU game would you use them? If you do, aren't you stealing from SDSU since you didn't purchase your own from the ticket office? I can't say that I agree with any part of your statement...and yes I do support SDSU via the purchase of season tickets (BB) and whatever donation I can afford.
                    Analogy does not hold. Someone paid SDSU for the "Free" tickets (either via money or promotional consideration) so from SDSU's point of view they got value for each ticket issued and in the public. Also, for each "free" ticket used, only one person gets into the game, not potentially 100.

This can not be said for games streamed through things like Channelsurfing.com--as far as I know, SDSU receives no promotional consideration for streaming via Channelsurfing, and the stream offered through that site/service by a single paying Gojacks.com member (for instance) can be used by some arbitrary number of non-paying members. This does represent a loss of potential income to SDSU.

The more appropriate analogy would be to someone using a ticket to get into Frost Arena, then going to an unguarded back door and letting in a bunch of his friends.

I'd personally prefer living in a world where audio and video streams were available free of charge over the Internet. Unfortunately, that world isn't this one, never was, never will be.

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

So if someone offers you free tickets to an SDSU game would you use them? If you do, aren't you stealing from SDSU since you didn't purchase your own from the ticket office?
                      A better analogy would be someone used their ticket to get into an SDSU football game. They then passed their ticket through the fence and gave it to me so I can get into the game.

I can't say that I agree with any part of your statement...and yes I do support SDSU via the purchase of season tickets (BB) and whatever donation I can afford.
                      One thing that I think would be nice for the Athletic Department to do would be to offer free Jackrabbit Extra to season ticket holders who make donations over "x" dollars. Sort of like priority parking.

Comment

One thing that I think would be nice for the Athletic Department to do would be to offer free Jackrabbit Extra to season ticket holders who make donations over "x" dollars. Sort of like priority parking.
                        +++++
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

A better analogy would be someone used their ticket to get into an SDSU football game. They then passed their ticket through the fence and gave it to me so I can get into the game.

so what like season tix plus say... $40?

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch.
                            I've had a "Free to Me Lunch"...does that count?
                            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                              so what like season tix plus say... $40?
                              That would be like giving away the farm. I gave something like $1600 this year and I am force to be an alleged thief and use channelsurfing on occasion.

Comment

Working...
                              X