Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Negativity

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
    As for Nagy....I have my issues w/ Nagy, I admit. Sure I would like him to be more personable. But knowing current and former players I know this, most who play for him love him. I guess that's all that should matter outside of winning games and running a clean program. And right now that is happening.
    Quick story. Two years ago, I was involved in the production of Coach Nagy's television show. We did 16 of them, and he was always professional, pleasant, and funny (for example, he asked Micah Grenz, who is a very thin, marathon runner, if he buys his pants at Gymboree, which is pretty funny if you know Micah).

After we wrapped the last show, the coach went around the room and personally thanked everybody involved for their work. He didn't have to do that, but he did. It was a nice thing to do and we all appreciated it.

People who only see Coach Nagy stomping on the sideline or hear his frustration in radio interviews don't really have the full picture.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      If coach Nagy can be negative when the team is 6-0, why can't fans be negative toward coach Nagy when the team is 6-0? For the record, Nagy also believes that he is too negative at times, what's wrong with fans thinking the same?

I've met coach Nagy a couple times and seen him speak multiple times. Outside the lines, he is a kind, generous, and personable guy. I like him.

But there are certain aspects of his coaching style that rub me the wrong way. I don't think that makes me a hater or negative. It makes me a fan who chooses not to drink this particular flavor of Kool Aid (I'm totally down with most other SDSU flavors though )

Anybody who thinks coach Nagy is the same coach today as he was 10 years ago hasn't been paying attention. He has changed, and I think for the better (I also think he would say the same).

I give him a ton of credit for toning things down a smidgen, and for understanding his shortcomings enough to ask assistants and veteran players to balance his weaknesses.

coach nagy is being negative this year? thats not what ive read or heard when ive listened to him on the radio. what has he said that would be considered negative to you?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        coach nagy is being negative this year? thats not what ive read or heard when ive listened to him on the radio. what has he said that would be considered negative to you?
        It's not any interview, it's just how he acts during games. But if anyone has watched Kansas State's Bob Huggins during games, Nagy's got nothing on him.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
          It's not any interview, it's just how he acts during games. But if anyone has watched Kansas State's Bob Huggins during games, Nagy's got nothing on him.
          WV's Bob Huggins?

or KSU's Frank Martin?

I would agree either way.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post

oh.......i thought that was called "coaching" not being negative. maybe because i watched munsen coach for 20 yrs and look at his success. so now a college coach cant yell at his players? whats the world coming to?

and happy birthday tommorrow RO. im assuming you'll be at a bar at midnight tonight?

Comment

It is absolutely amazing that Nagy's bench conduct has come up more with a 6-0, upper-division Sagarin-ranked team that is heavily populated with unuderclassmen than it ever did when we were struggling to get to 10 wins.

Are we in Bizzaro World folks?

Get behind this team and enjoy the ride. We may be entering an amazing stretch of fandom. We've certainly paid for it.

Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo View Post
                WV's Bob Huggins?

or KSU's Frank Martin?

I would agree either way.
                Yes, Frank Martin. I am freaking struggling today.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Another 15 or so posts into this and I think my assesment is more on the money than before.

WE NEED TO BEAT THE BISON!!! I don't care what Nagy does on the sideline, just beat the Bison!

Let's do this!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I think we have entered Bizarro World, NoVa. If the Jacks win 20 games this year, things might get really strange.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

I think people need to stop watching Nagy and start watching players on the floor.
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                        Coach Nagy agrees with me .

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...10/1002/sports

...However, none of that really matters to Nagy. He's focused on his team, his behavior.

See, SDSU hasn't had success like this since ripping off 17 in a row to open the 2003-04 campaign, its last at the D-II level. Back then, Nagy was notorious for blasting his team even after impressive victories.

"The more we win, the tighter I get," he admitted. "I want to make sure I don't take the fun out of it for our players."

This week, the 16th-year coach sat down with his assistants and some of the team leaders to address that tendency.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                          I think people need to stop watching Nagy and start watching players on the floor.
                          I totally agree with this comment. Don't you think if you were a coach and a player makes a mistake it would get you a little frustrated? I'm sure it's something they have worked on in practice but yet a little mind slip cause either a turnover or an easy basket. As a fan, do you not see the blown defense in the stands and react to it with either a throw of your hands or mumble/think a swear word. I do think Coach Nagy is working on his sideline reactions.
                          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Nagy too negative, expressive on the bench? Goodness times have changed. Anyone older than 45 has to remember Coach Wachs up at Northern. That was too negative, expressive from the bench. Nagy is quiet in comparison.
                            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

It takes a big man to admit a bad character fault and a selfless man to want to correct it for the benefit of others.My hats off to coach Nagy.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                                It takes a big man to admit a bad character fault and a selfless man to want to correct it for the benefit of others.My hats off to coach Nagy.
                                Cannot award enough rep for this post.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X