05-06 Men's Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05-06 Men's Predictions

less than a month away from our first exhibition game vs Morningside.  I feel big pay back.

I predict the Men's go 13-16

any other predictions?

Re: 05-06 Men's Predictions

I didn't know that USD plays Morningside this season. ???

Go State! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by USDSU
      less than a month away from our first exhibition game vs Morningside.  I feel big pay back.

I predict the Men's go 13-16

any other predictions?
      Another imposter pretending to be a Jacks fan!

Comment

He is not very good at it, between his signature line, defense of USD at every turn,  and constant posting of the D-II football polls, it is hard to miss who he is for.  

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII

I think he is a confused young man.

Comment

Presented for your amusement:

This would be an excellent season--there's three SDSU wins here that I'd consider big upsets. A Nagy-coached team will be competitive. Last year's depleted squad was an aberration. With the amount of incoming talent, this year's team will be much more formidable than last year's.

The front-court depth will be a season-long problem, I think, but with some breaks, a 16-13 season is quite possible. With our young team, we'll probably lose a couple of games we probably should win, but again we might win a game or too we're not supposed to, too.

Here we go, 2005-06 season preview:

Game 1: Kentucky 96, SDSU 77. SDSU's young Jackrabbits stay with the Wildcats in the first half, but fade in the second. Still, they come off the court knowing that they didn't embarrass themselves against one of the greatest all-time programs in college basketball.

Game 2: SDSU 78, Northern Colorado 71 (1-1). Old NCC foes battle one another on the historic Rupp Arena floor. Kentucky fans get behind the Jackrabbits after their respectable showing the previous night against the Wildcats, making the difference late.

Game 3: Illinois 89, SDSU 71 (1-2). Another home opener against another NCAA power. Like the Kentucky game, SDSU keeps it close in the early going but the talent gap is too great down the stretch.

Game 4: SDSU 76, SE Missouri State 70 (2-2). The Jackrabbits' home opener. SDSU mounts a late comeback to nip the Redhawks.

Game 5: SDSU 82, Cal State Fullerton, 80 (3-2). Rabbits surprise the Titans by running with them, gaining their second straight win at Frost Arena.

Game 6: Marquette 87, SDSU 75 (3-3). Rabbits are competitive all game long, but the Golden Eagles pull away at the end.

Game 7: Wisconsin-Milwaukee 88, SDSU 84 (3-4). Back and forth up-tempo game pulled out by the Panthers in the last couple of minutes.

Game 8: SDSU 86, Nebraska 82 (4-4). Upset #1: Rabbits surprise the Big XII Cornhuskers with aggressive defense and court speed.

Game 9: SDSU 81, Denver 74 (5-4). Upset #2: Jacks defend the home court against the Pioneers, avenging last year's disappointing loss. A big win against a Sun Belt favorite.

Game 10: SDSU 86, UMKC 81 (6-4). Another loss avenged as the Jacks hot shooting turns back the Kangaroos.

Game 11: SDSU 89, Manhattan 88 (7-4). SDSU's Sioux Falls fans treated to a classic college basketball game in the old Arena.

Game 12: Minnesota 87, SDSU 80 (7-5). SDSU gets behind big and a late rally falls short in Williams Arena.

Game 13: Butler 75, SDSU 68 (7-6). SDSU's first home loss of the season.

Game 14: SDSU 86, Montana State 81 (8-6). Upset #3: Jacks surprise the Bobcats early and hang on late for the road win.

Game 15: SDSU 88, Utah Valley State 74 (9-6). The Rabbits run away from the Wolverines in Frost.

Game 16: SDSU 88, NDSU 85 (10-6). Another Jackrabbit-Bison classic in Fargo. Tight all the way, the Jacks pull it out in the end in the BSA.

Game 17: Central Florida 79, SDSU 68 (10-7). SDSU's offense never gets into a flow against the Knights.

Game 18: SDSU 78, Idaho State 71 (11-7). The Rabbits' second road win against a Big Sky school.

Game 19: Utah State 85, SDSU 75 (11-8). New WAC member Utah State is never seriously threatened by the Rabbits.

Game 20: Utah Valley State 81, SDSU 79 (11-9). Wolverines get revenge for earlier loss at Frost.

Game 21: SDSU 88, Southwest Minnesota State 51 (12-9). Rabbits erase last year's embarrassment against the Mustangs.

Game 22: SDSU 78, IPFW 77 (13-9). Rabbits survive another nailbiter in Frost.

Game 23: SDSU 84, Texas-Pan American 71 (14-9). Rabbits have a relatively easy time with the Broncos.

Game 24: Middle Tennessee State 73, SDSU 65 (14-10). SDSU battles the Blue Raiders but fall behind late and can't come back.

Game 25: SDSU 88, NDSU 71 (15-10). Bison. Jackrabbits. Basketball. Rabbits run away from the Bison in front of the biggest home crowd of the year.

Game 26: IPFW 72, SDSU 66 (15-11). Mastodons get back at the Rabbits for their earlier loss in Frost.

Game 27: SDSU 81, Texas-Pan American 78 (16-11). Rabbits get their second win of the year against the Broncos.

Game 28: San Diego State 74, SDSU 67 (16-12). Mountain West favorite Aztecs defend their home court.

Game 29: Cal State Fullerton 82, SDSU 74 (16-13). The Jacks finish a successful 2005-06 season with a disappointing road loss to the Titans.

The losses to the big-name schools could be wins if the Jacks are hot and the opponents aren't--not likely but "that's why they play the games."

Just helping "visualize" . . . see the ball, hit the ball, or something like that.

Another thought: Should the Jacks somehow start the season 4-0, they'll likely be getting some votes for the top 25 . . . think about it . . . visualize . . . Kentucky, Lipscomb/UNC, Iowa, Texas . . . visualize . . .
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII

Actually, he is on the D2football message board and talking up SDSU.  Just because he doesn't agree with everything doesn't mean he isn't a fan.  

My initial guess would 14-15/13-16, somewhere around there....This is a much better team, but we are also playing better opponents this year. I think this would be a good year for the Jacks.

Comment

I like the way you think Filbert. However, some of those predictions may be wishful thinking....It still gets the heart pumpin thinking about all of those matchups.

It is so hard to say what the season holds for the Jacks. After some of last years games, I would think that we could win a few of those ones this year, with our new sqaud (i.e. Central FL, Denver, Manhattan) It is so tough to say how much better any of those teams have gotten in the off-season.
                Is there any ranking system on the web to see how each of these teams recruiting classes were?

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack
                  I like the way you think Filbert. However, some of those predictions may be wishful thinking....It still gets the heart pumpin thinking about all of those matchups.

It is so hard to say what the season holds for the Jacks. After some of last years games, I would think that we could win a few of those ones this year, with our new sqaud (i.e. Central FL, Denver, Manhattan) It is so tough to say how much better any of those teams have gotten in the off-season.
                  Is there any ranking system on the web to see how each of these teams recruiting classes were?
                  Yeah, you can't tell I bleed yellow and blue, can you?

My downside number of wins is 8, upside is 16. If we get 16 wins, Nagy should be a candidate for national coach of the year, but it's not utterly inconceivable.

Anyway, a big part of success is believing you can. Like Nagy says, "if you don't think you can win, don't get on the bus." Or, in these D-I days, the plane. I think Nagy's been around D-I basketball enough to know what's necessary to be successful at the highest level. I have no doubt that SDSU will become a respectable D-I basketball program. We might as well start earning that respect this year.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

After seeing our team play last year, and how they competed fairly well but couldn't pull through some of the close ones. Then seeing how much improved we are at midnight madness this year, I'm pretty excited about a successful year this year.

I think .500 is an attainable goal, and if we have a relatively injury free year and the young players develop quickly I think we do even better than that.

Go State!

Comment

I noticed Filbert picked sdsu over ne huskers in an upset. Barry Collier had his best recruiting class ever last year and the Huskers have a chance to be pretty good. Also, Coach Collier's job is on the line so there probably won't be a let down. You better rethink that pick. Huskers by 20.

Comment

Well, BJ, there's a reason why I called it an "upset".

I choose to believe that the Jacks might steal three games they should on paper lose. I also choose to believe that the Jacks will win all the games they "should" win. With a team that does not have a single senior on the roster that's probably not entirely realistic either. But, I'm a fan. Deal.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo

Actually, he is on the D2football message board and talking up SDSU.  Just because he doesn't agree with everything doesn't mean he isn't a fan.  
                          Why would an SDSU fan be on the D2 message board?

Comment

Originally posted by gojacksgo

Sorry but this post doesn't make sense to me. Spending time on a D2 board discussing a DI team is nothing less than counter-productive. Hence, I suspect, the reason USDSU is there.

USDSU definitely has a pro-USD tone to his posts. Nothing wrong with pro-USD just be it on your own time and in places where people actually care about USD doing well.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

As for the predictions, I like the way Filbert has us dreaming, but I think reality will set in too early this year. Hopefully after the midpoint of the season the team can really get rolling and next year will be our break out year.

Comment

Working...
                              X