• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IA Towers

Story from TV about our Iowa bigs

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...30/1002/sports

Re: IA Towers

I recently highlighted Jordan Dykstra as one of Five Players to Watch in The Summit League for 2010-11.

http://grizzliesgameplan.blogspot.co...-watch-in.html

Can't wait to see this guy play.

Comment

Nagy said today that he expects both to start at some point this season. Heemstra will play baseball.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Matt Gatens, a local kid from Iowa City and the heart and soul of the Hawkeyes who has suffered through two brutal seasons, might not be able to play against the Jacks.
        http://thegazette.com/2010/10/28/han...n-three-weeks/

Comment

Originally posted by crjack View Post
          Matt Gatens, a local kid from Iowa City and the heart and soul of the Hawkeyes who has suffered through two brutal seasons, might not be able to play against the Jacks.
          http://thegazette.com/2010/10/28/han...n-three-weeks/
          I bet you beat the Hawkeyes by 7-10 points.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Nagy said today that he expects both to start at some point this season. Heemstra will play baseball.
            My bet is the Heemstra kid will contribute more over the 4 year career than Dykstra. Dykstra is not physical whatsoever. If he had his way, he would play around the perimeter. The catch you got was Heemstra

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
              My bet is the Heemstra kid will contribute more over the 4 year career than Dykstra. Dykstra is not physical whatsoever. If he had his way, he would play around the perimeter. The catch you got was Heemstra
              I think you might have them mixed up. Heemstra is the leaner and taller one who handles the ball remarkably well and has great court vision for a big guy. Jordan D. will be happy to bang with whomever wants to and isn't going to back down from anybody. Both can shoot exceptionally well from the outside. Dykstra has the potential to be the best player we've ever seen at SDSU. Potential does not equal performance but the coaches are definitely excited.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I don't I had heard that Dykstra was more physical and capable of playing down low than Heemstra but in high school they Dykstra played more on the wing and Heemstra down low, however I also heard that Dykstra was playing the point and the offense was ran through him in many situations so that may explain it.

From what I've heard Nagy say as well as others around the program, Dykstra is going to be really really good. It seems that he has the ability to take over games. Something he didn't show in high school, but never really had to either.

I still think the sleeper this year will be Chad White. His wrist is totally heeled. The knee is 100%, the hand is 100%.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  I don't I had heard that Dykstra was more physical and capable of playing down low than Heemstra but in high school they Dykstra played more on the wing and Heemstra down low, however I also heard that Dykstra was playing the point and the offense was ran through him in many situations so that may explain it.

From what I've heard Nagy say as well as others around the program, Dykstra is going to be really really good. It seems that he has the ability to take over games. Something he didn't show in high school, but never really had to either.

I still think the sleeper this year will be Chad White. His wrist is totally heeled. The knee is 100%, the hand is 100%.

Davidson and Wake Forest were looking at Dykstra over the summer after he backed off from Iowa State. He actually threw one down on a kid at a summer tourney (I think in Orlando) while Wake Forest was watching. This kid is a stud and we're lucky we got him.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    Really? Was this a concession we made to get him to sign? I'd love to see him on the baseball field, but in past history it seems we (not sure who "we" means) haven't been excited about letting guys play 2 sports. If so, I'm excited and I'm sure Richie is too.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
                      Really? Was this a concession we made to get him to sign? I'd love to see him on the baseball field, but in past history it seems we (not sure who "we" means) haven't been excited about letting guys play 2 sports. If so, I'm excited and I'm sure Richie is too.

Umm, "past history" ......

Wayne Rasmussen, an all-North Central Conference performer in three sports, became the 21st member of the Jackrabbit Sports Hall of Fame on October 19, 1985 — the day SDSU attracted a record crowd of 16,193 fans for a Hobo Day game against No. 1-ranked University of South Dakota.

A native of Howard, Rasmussen went on to play 10 years in the National Football League for the Detroit Lions. Rasmussen earned all-NCC honors twice in football (1962 and 1963), twice in basketball (1963 and 1964) and once in baseball (1964). He led the NCC in pass receiving during the 1962 football season, and was the NCC Back of the Year in 1963, when he was also team tri-captain. Rasmussen played on the 1961-62-63 Jackrabbit football teams which went 8-2, 7-2-1 and 9-1, winning three straight NCC championships.

Comment

There are other examples, but I'm fairly certain that Kris Garry was not "allowed" to play baseball. He started out as a QB, then filling a role as a WR his last year or two. He was the SD player of the year in Legion in 1998 (give or take a year). Again, I'm all for letting Heemstra play baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea View Post
                          There are other examples, but I'm fairly certain that Kris Garry was not "allowed" to play baseball. He started out as a QB, then filling a role as a WR his last year or two. He was the SD player of the year in Legion in 1998 (give or take a year). Again, I'm all for letting Heemstra play baseball.
                          He's been listed on the SDSU baseball roster for sometime, and I think the reasons he is going to be able to play two sports are (among others probably) that they are basketball and baseball, and he is a pitcher.

Comment

I guess there are exceptions to every rule and policy. The one sport policy has been designed to protect the student athlete's time so that he is successful in the classroom as well as in the sport that he/she participates. Seems like this policy has come about because each sport is becoming more demanding in time and extends beyond that of the actual playing season. It takes good time management to be a good SA, with one sport and perhaps impossible for someone to paricipate in three sports as did Wayne Rasmussen and others did nearly 50 years ago. I don't remember seeing student athletes such Rasmussen spending time lifting weights like our current roster has to do. The current football roster is up and working out at 6:00 AM every day at the Dykhouse center.

I hope Mr. Heimstra is a time manager, he will need to be in order to play two sports.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              I guess there are exceptions to every rule and policy. The one sport policy has been designed to protect the student athlete's time so that he is successful in the classroom as well as in the sport that he/she participates. Seems like this policy has come about because each sport is becoming more demanding in time and extends beyond that of the actual playing season. It takes good time management to be a good SA, with one sport and perhaps impossible for someone to paricipate in three sports as did Wayne Rasmussen and others did nearly 50 years ago. I don't remember seeing student athletes such Rasmussen spending time lifting weights like our current roster has to do. The current football roster is up and working out at 6:00 AM every day at the Dykhouse center.

I hope Mr. Heimstra is a time manager, he will need to be in order to play two sports.
                              I know both of these kids and their families. They are good kids, and earlier I made the statement that I didn't think Dykstra is that physical and would struggle inside, and I was challenged, but it is the truth. Maybe Coach Nagy or one of the asst's can change him, but they have their work in front of them. Dykstra is not physical...(yet anyway).

The Heemstra boy is a great young man and has a great family. He is also intelligent and I don't think time will be the problem with his studies, just so coaches don't become territorial. He is a nice young man.

Comment

Working...
                              X