Another 20 loss season??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another 20 loss season??

Of regular players we lose Kai, Garret, AC, and Palarca and gain Dykstra, Heemstra, White, Carlson and Stephenson and have an experienced Wolters and Fiegen as 2nd year players.

I don't see how we are dropping off that much and I'd argue we should be in better shape than last year. It hurts losing Kai and Garret but AC was inconsistent and Palarca was undersized. We are adding two top 50 recruits at their positions and a 6'6" shooting gaurd in White. I expect Stephenson to step into backup PG shoes that Palarca filled and then we have Carlson off the bench as well.

Wolters is a potential all-league PG and Fiegen can replace AC and brings more versatility to the lineup.

We will be fine people.

Comment

Just want to introduce myself to start off: I'm an ORU grad from 1981. I live in Winnipeg where I have been able to see the Jacks play the U of M Bisons. In my opinion, Dykstra is a huge get for you guys. Along with his height and ability, he brings passion and leadership to the team. Heemstra has a good work ethic as well. Wolters is as quiet as they come and seems to do his talking through his play on the floor. I know these are quick, off the cuff impressions, but nevertheless, IMHO, 4th place in the Summit League is not out of the question for you guys. Nagy did the best thing possible with so many new guys needing to come together this season by arranging games (with the accompanying practice times) against the Great White North in a pre-preseason. I hope to come down in January to watch ORU play the Jacks so I am grateful for the opportunity to "scout" the opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by orucan View Post
        Just want to introduce myself to start off: I'm an ORU grad from 1981. I live in Winnipeg where I have been able to see the Jacks play the U of M Bisons. In my opinion, Dykstra is a huge get for you guys. Along with his height and ability, he brings passion and leadership to the team. Heemstra has a good work ethic as well. Wolters is as quiet as they come and seems to do his talking through his play on the floor. I know these are quick, off the cuff impressions, but nevertheless, IMHO, 4th place in the Summit League is not out of the question for you guys. Nagy did the best thing possible with so many new guys needing to come together this season by arranging games (with the accompanying practice times) against the Great White North in a pre-preseason. I hope to come down in January to watch ORU play the Jacks so I am grateful for the opportunity to "scout" the opposition.
        Welcome to the board ORUCan.

In addition to the BB games in Brookings, circle the Summit Tourney in Sioux Falls in early March, and the Summit League Baseball tourney in May.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
          Welcome to the board ORUCan.

In addition to the BB games in Brookings, circle the Summit Tourney in Sioux Falls in early March, and the Summit League Baseball tourney in May.
          Yes, thank you. Depending on how the season and the trip in January go, I may indeed come down for the tournament. . . but there is a whole lot of basketball to be played before then.

Comment

Nice first post and thanks for an "in-person" report on the incoming SDSU freshman.
            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Great to see you over here in enemy territory Ron! Thanks again for giving us your opinion. Nice to hear it from a non-SDSU homer.

Hopefully you'll stick around the SDSU board (especially during the season). I know myself and others welcome fans of our rivals....especially classy ones such as yourself.

I think you'd love the Summit Tourney. Last year I met Sutton, Kampe, Hunter, Douple, etc just haning out. Was alot of fun to talk to those guys. I would be more than happy to meet up w/ you and I could get you a good rate at the Sheraton (hotel that's attached to Arena).

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post
                Great to see you over here in enemy territory Ron! Thanks again for giving us your opinion. Nice to hear it from a non-SDSU homer.

Hopefully you'll stick around the SDSU board (especially during the season). I know myself and others welcome fans of our rivals....especially classy ones such as yourself.

I think you'd love the Summit Tourney. Last year I met Sutton, Kampe, Hunter, Douple, etc just haning out. Was alot of fun to talk to those guys. I would be more than happy to meet up w/ you and I could get you a good rate at the Sheraton (hotel that's attached to Arena).
                I hope I don't step in any minefields right away. I may take you up on that hotel arrangement. In the meantime, I think I will pop in here every now and again. My ORU friends will sometimes make disparaging remarks about the Dakotas, but I am happy that you friends in the sunny South are in the Summit, otherwise I might have to drive 15 hours to see a game (I don't have my map open to get the exact numbers). I hope you guys continue to improve so that the levels in the Summit League overall go up. I want ORU to play in a good conference. I also want ORU to play close to where I live, so let's make this a good conference! I think we can agree on that for the time being.

Comment

I hope I don't step in any minefields right away. I may take you up on that hotel arrangement. In the meantime, I think I will pop in here every now and again. My ORU friends will sometimes make disparaging remarks about the Dakotas, but I am happy that you friends in the sunny South are in the Summit, otherwise I might have to drive 15 hours to see a game (I don't have my map open to get the exact numbers). I hope you guys continue to improve so that the levels in the Summit League overall go up. I want ORU to play in a good conference. I also want ORU to play close to where I live, so let's make this a good conference! I think we can agree on that for the time being.
                  When USD gets in next year and if UND gets in you may need to rent an apartment on the South Dakota-North Dakota border for a month every year.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                    When USD gets in next year and if UND gets in you may need to rent an apartment on the South Dakota-North Dakota border for a month every year.
                    That could be a plan.

Comment

I hope I don't step in any minefields right away..
                      ORUCAN:
                      My sincere welcome.

No you're fine. Welcome aboard. I been over on the ORU board. Some very interesting people over there. It is good news about your impressions of Dykstra and Heimstra. Who is the toughest basketball team in Canada? I dont think SDSU faced that team during our tour.

Comment

Welcome aboard.
                        Thanks for the great post. I'm jealous that you got to see them play before me. I guess that's what I get to not taking a week of vacation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                          Of regular players we lose Kai, Garret, AC, and Palarca and gain Dykstra, Heemstra, White, Carlson and Stephenson and have an experienced Wolters and Fiegen as 2nd year players.

I don't see how we are dropping off that much and I'd argue we should be in better shape than last year. It hurts losing Kai and Garret but AC was inconsistent and Palarca was undersized. We are adding two top 50 recruits at their positions and a 6'6" shooting gaurd in White. I expect Stephenson to step into backup PG shoes that Palarca filled and then we have Carlson off the bench as well.

Wolters is a potential all-league PG and Fiegen can replace AC and brings more versatility to the lineup.

We will be fine people.
                          I guess I don't even think we'll lose 15 games this year. The more I think about it the more I think our team will be better than last year. If basketball was like football and our schedule was a lot tougher, I'd maybe agree with you.
                          Stephenson will be better than Palarca. Palarca was solid defensively and at handling that ball but he wasn't much of a shooter/scorer. Stephenson can do both of those so unless he can't play D or handle the ball, he's a step up.
                          I think Fiegen will be better than AC was. AC has been injured and that slowed him down quite a bit. He used his body well on D and had some post moves but his midrange shot and free throws were subpar. Fiegen can shoot and handle the ball. He'll be improved from his freshman year.
                          Dykstra will be much better than Fiegen was last year.
                          I don't know if you want to compare White to Kai or Garrett. Both those guys were solid players and great for SDSU basketball but they were both wearing down from carrying SDSU basketball. Garrett had to play sparingly because of injuries. White seems more like a Garrett because they both play the 2/3. A healthy White should be as good as a injured Garrett. Especially if White is supposed to be the best freshmen in this class(according to TV's article). It's not very often somebody is better than a top 55 player, in the country, at his position.
                          Engen will be replaced by Heemstra. A top 55 player(at his position) in the country is just better than Engen. I'm glad that he stuck it out and played solid minutes his senior year. I hope he knows how much I appreciated his dedication to SDSU basketball.
                          Kai was better than Carlson but that would be the only downgrade in all the changes on the rooster.
                          Everybody else that is back should be improved to make up for the other stuff that was lost.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                            I think Fiegen will be better than AC was. AC has been injured and that slowed him down quite a bit. He used his body well on D and had some post moves but his midrange shot and free throws were subpar. Fiegen can shoot and handle the ball. He'll be improved from his freshman year.
                            I made a mental note during the Summit League tourney in Sioux Falls that Fiegen seemed to have the strength the strength to play inside but just lacked experience to pull the trigger on offense. At the same time I was impressed that he was willing to receive the ball inside and if nothing else change the ball level and then get it back outside. Certainly better than forcing the issue and forcing up shots.

I think he will fit in well, although maybe not so much in the scoring column at least early.

Even though its exhibition play, how impressive is it that Dykstra is already putting up 12 - 14 point nights? I'm sure its going to be a fun 4 years watching he and Heemstra go through the program.
                            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              ORUCAN:
                              My sincere welcome.

No you're fine. Welcome aboard. I been over on the ORU board. Some very interesting people over there. It is good news about your impressions of Dykstra and Heimstra. Who is the toughest basketball team in Canada? I dont think SDSU faced that team during our tour.
                              I grew up in Ontario, and the teams there are definitely better. British Columbia would have tougher teams as well. There are undoubtedly Canadian teams that could give SDSU a game, but I don't think that is the main point of the trip. The additional practice time and the bonding that this kind of trip offers are probably much more important. In addition, the coach now has a very early picture of what he can possibly expect from his team.

The last time that ORU played a pre-preseason in Canada, they played in Ontario. For you though, the Manitoba connection is a no-brainer, with relatively cheap transportation and overnight costs. A larger center like Vancouver or Toronto would be much more expensive.

Although I am more patriotic than most, I don't really care too much about Canadian basketball. I follow the exploits of my alma mater, ORU. The culture around basketball is much more exciting in the States and makes a long road trip worthwhile. In the same way, a hockey game cannot possibly be the same in an arena south of the border as it is in Canada.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_boy View Post
                                I was holding off making prediction hoping that we would add at least one more veteran (JC or four year transfer). I think anyone not looking through rose colored glasses has to see a 20 loss season in the cards. Its almost impossible to win win freshmen posts. Sorry to have to be the bearer of bad news.

Care to revise and extend?

Comment

Working...
                                X